We just stayed at this protea over a long weekend. Its in such a great location for the kruger! We stayed in the self catering chalet, which was so lovely. There were 6 of us, it was spacious enough and it had all that we needed. There were a few little problems, but nothing they couldn't fix.
Unfortunately we were let down by the bad service offered by the pool and the spa. The actual pool is beautiful and the views stunning but there are hardly any waiters around, and they don't have menus by the pool and our waitress could barely understand us. We found that there was a lack of training of staff in this protea.
The spa was also so beautiful and relaxing but when it came to our pedicures, our feet weren't soaked and our heels weren't buffed... maybe because us city girls are used to the posh city pedicures but I think the point of a pedicure is having your feet soaked and heels buffed. Majority of the nail polishes were also dried out. Its just so frustrating because it had so much potential and it didn't live up to our expectations.
The game drives are way over priced and there is no communication between the game drive bookings and reception. Reception has no clue about game drives and prices or any specials, which is bad because after hours the bookings office is closed. The staff at the reception also won't take responsibility or sort out any problems, they just pass it on to the next person in charge.
The most enjoyable aspects of this protea was the chalet and the actual Kruger. Having elephants come right up to the fences :) amazing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza