“Expected More”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skukuza
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We just stayed at this protea over a long weekend. Its in such a great location for the kruger! We stayed in the self catering chalet, which was so lovely. There were 6 of us, it was spacious enough and it had all that we needed. There were a few little problems, but nothing they couldn't fix.

Unfortunately we were let down by the bad service offered by the pool and the spa. The actual pool is beautiful and the views stunning but there are hardly any waiters around, and they don't have menus by the pool and our waitress could barely understand us. We found that there was a lack of training of staff in this protea.

The spa was also so beautiful and relaxing but when it came to our pedicures, our feet weren't soaked and our heels weren't buffed... maybe because us city girls are used to the posh city pedicures but I think the point of a pedicure is having your feet soaked and heels buffed. Majority of the nail polishes were also dried out. Its just so frustrating because it had so much potential and it didn't live up to our expectations.

The game drives are way over priced and there is no communication between the game drive bookings and reception. Reception has no clue about game drives and prices or any specials, which is bad because after hours the bookings office is closed. The staff at the reception also won't take responsibility or sort out any problems, they just pass it on to the next person in charge.

The most enjoyable aspects of this protea was the chalet and the actual Kruger. Having elephants come right up to the fences :) amazing!

Room Tip: Choose the self catering chalet if there are 3 or more of you
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 98Sammy
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear 98Sammy

I really appreciate the time you have taken to share such detailed and valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

You made a great choice in choosing the chalets as they are perfect for 3 or more people traveling together. It just makes that bushveld experience a little more special.

I am disappointed to hear of the below par service and lack of menus that you received by our pool. I fully understand how frustrating this must have been and have already discussed how we will be rectifying this situation; the printing of menus and additional training for STAFF. The same approach has been taking with the spa and we will be assessing the treatments on offer.

Part of visiting the Kruger National Park is being able to view the amazing wildlife and I hear your concerns regarding pricing and communication. I will be looking into these as a result.

On a positive note, I am thrilled that the location proved favourable and I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly. Please feel free to contact me at gm@phkrugergate.co.za.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate

Reviewed March 22, 2013

As many have mentioned before, this hotel is really close to the Kruger Gate which makes traveling into Kruger National Park that much easier. The hotel has a safari desk that helps arrange safari tours but best to book in advance especially if you want to do the hot air balloon. It was not available when we tried booking it a night before.

Dinner and breakfast were provided if you are on half board. Food was pretty alright IMO. they had different varieties every day so it wasnt boring. But i wouldnt say it was fantastic either.

We booked the hotel through Expedia. There are 2 prices for the same kind of room. Be sure to book the slightly more expensive one (about USD 20-30 more?) if you want to stay in the newly renovated room.

Staff was really really helpful and responsive in emails. I sent them close to 10 emails asking questions and arranging for pick up. All were answered within hours. Kudos to the team for that!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shim P
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Pui S

Thank you for your lovely title and review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate.

Location is definitely something that our GUESTS enjoy. Being so close to the Paul Kruger Gate, the ultimate bushveld experience is all on our doorstep.

I am pleased to let you know that we are on track for completing the second phase of all renovations by mid-2013.

I appreciate your comment about the food and, as we are always searching for excellence, I will discuss this with the TEAM.

Reading your comments about the attentive and helpful STAFF makes me very proud and I will definitely congratulate them on their efforts.

Have a safe trip home.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family stayed here for 2 nights in mid-January. The hotel grounds are very rustic, which in my opinion is what the bush is all about! The rooms were comfortable and clean. We had a chalet and it was perfect for us (5 adults and 2 children). The breakfast was very good and the dinners were also good. We had 2 vegetarians in our group and both nights they were able to find plenty to eat. The packed meals that the hotel made for us were amazing! They were ready for us bright and early and full of choices. In my opinion the BEST thing about this hotel is the location. You turn left out of the hotel gate and the Kruger Gate is RIGHT there. We got into the park quickly and easily. We did not find the pool very appealing, but after all, you are there for the animal and game drives and not to hang out at the hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank safrica80
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear cgopin

Wow! It sounds like you had a great family holiday in the bushveld. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us on TripAdvisor.

The rustic feel is perfect for the setting and area that the hotel is in and I am glad that you liked it. You made the right choice by staying in the chalet so that you and your family could have your own space.

Whether having spectacular breakfast, packed lunch or dinner under the stars at our Lapa Restaurant; there is something for all. I am so thrilled that the vegetarians were satisfied with the chef’s selection. I will commend the TEAM on the delicious creations.

I am pleased to inform you that the temporary issue we had with the pool has now been fixed in is sparkling.

Our location close to the Paul Kruger Gate is the cherry on the top and we hope that you will visit us all again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We enjoyed a 3 night stay in one of the Superior, upgraded rooms.
Hotel has a out door feel to it. Nice and open to the outside elements.

Room was good size, bed comfy, good telly for the eve and a nice walk in shower.

I am never keen on buffet dinners but I was very surprised with it in this hotel. It was of high standard. Every night there was different choices of food.
We actually enjoyed it.

Our rate included breakfast and dinner.
Drinks and lunch was not expensive at all. I thought it would be as there is nothing near by.

Couple of negatives unfortunately.
The pool was always dirty. Loads of leaves and dirt on the bottom. Was definitely not inviting even in the heat. They need to get on top of that and get someone cleaning it regularly.

The reception decking needs cleaning, or updating. Looked a bit dated.

We really enjoyed our stay and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Recommend the upgraded rooms. Superior rooms. Cost a little more but worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank attie1000
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear attie1000

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and decided to share it on TripAdvisor.

Being based near the Kruger National Park, the hotel is designed to blend in with the environment to offer GUESTS a true bushveld experience. The open feel of the rooms, lobby and walkways do exactly that.

It is a real compliment when someone who doesn’t like buffet style dinners enjoys the variety and freshness at our hotel on more than one occasion. The TEAM will draw inspiration and motivation from your comments.

I apologise about the leaves in the pool as this is not the standard we strive to maintain; as is the same with your view of the reception area. I will be discussing this with all relevant TEAM members to rectify immediately.

Finally, I am grateful to have such an amazing TEAM who has a passion for offering the best GUEST service, which you were able to witness first hand.

We were happy to host you and wish you safe travels back home.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel received rave reviews from everyone in our group, in spite of some mechanical and maintenance issues. It is located just outside the Kruger gate to Kruger Park. It is an easy walk to the park. The hotel has beautiful grounds, a tastefully decorated open air lobby, restaurant, library, and elevated wooden walkways to the rooms. The pool is inviting. At the back of the property are places to sit and view the river that separates the hotel from the park. Rooms are spacious, comfortable, and well appointed. Some have refrigerators and older bathrooms. The newer rooms have walk in showers and no refrigerators.  There are spa service on site. The staff were polite and attentive. Some of our group had problems with door locks not working and lack of hot water. These were handled promptly, especially after our tour leader found out about them. No one complained about any inconvenience, as we absolutely loved our two nights at this special spot.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Darbymo
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear darbymo

Thank you for such a wonderful review on behalf of all the members from your group.

Our unique location by the Paul Kruger Gate makes all the difference during your safari adventure. It’s great that you enjoyed the fresh air and beautiful grounds surrounding the hotel.

I would like to apologise for the slight inconvenience caused by the maintenance issues, but true to form the TEAM fixed it in no time. I will definitely commend them for their outstanding service.

Your comments regarding some of the rooms have been noted and we are happy to share with you that the renovations to the property will be completed in mid-2013.

I am thrilled to hear that you found the pool inviting and made use of the viewing decks overlooking the park.

We wish you safe travels home and hope you enjoyed your visit to Cape Town as well.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel has a great outdoor feel to it like being the canapé of a forest; the common areas (Bar, restaurant and library) were very nice. The viewing lookout areas were perfect to watch the sun go done over the park with a drink and the hotel puts on a great dinner.
We were lazy and didn’t get up that early for the Safaris but still saw the big 5, our driver / guide was very informative and we were able to get up close (bit too close) with a pride of loins. Great experience. The hotel packed us take away lunch for days we were leaving early.. nice touch.
The rooms were fairly standard and nothing to rave about…….the rest of the hotel was excellent from the friendliness of the staff to the location to the amenities this was a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Make sure to layer up on the clothes if your taking an early morning drive
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nomad_Axela
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Nomad_Axela

Thank you for an outstanding review of our hotel and for giving us a 5 out of 5 rating. Not to mention your quirky review title, which I found very amusing.

Our unique walkways that connect the different areas of the hotel truly enhances the experience and, just as you mentioned, feel like one is on the canopy of a forest.

There is nothing more relaxing than a cold beverage overlooking the peaceful bushveld from our viewing decks, and you did that at sunset which is even better. I am glad that you got to see the big five and that you enjoyed your lunch packs.

It seems as if the hotel hit a home run and covered all bases during your stay. I will congratulate the STAFF and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for eight days in January 2013. We picked the hotel primarily because of it's convenient, close location to the Paul Kruger Gate of Kruger National Park and we were not disappointed.

After traveling for about 40 hours from the West Coast of the United States, we did experience some initial disappointment when we received one of the non-renovated rooms and none were available. Our room was large, spacious and comfortable, but it was clearly worn, and due for updating.

However, we did not travel so far to spend significant time in our room, so this became less and less important as time wore on.

The hotel itself is nicely appointed, covered dark wooden walkways lead throughout the property and there are beautiful trees and landscaping everywhere. The open-air covered lobby has the most comfortable leather couches. We spent a fair amount of time there in between our activities using the free WIFI. Be aware that you are out in "nature" so expect large spiders, lizards, monkeys and all sorts of animals to cross your path.

The viewing decks overlooking Kruger National Park were lovely. We were lucky enough to see elephants three different times, one of them quite close to the fences. Other times we saw baboons, monkeys, a herd of bushbuck and a bushbaby on the property. It was like having a mini safari without leaving the property.

The tour company at the hotel, Echo Africa was wonderful and we did six different tours with them during our stay.

We had the buffet breakfast and dinner every day for our entire 8 day stay with the exception of one or two early mornings where we had the packed breakfast. I am not a huge fan of buffets but I was pleasantly surprised.

Food was fresh, plentiful and varied. We didn't tire of it during our entire 8 day visit. Breakfast offered waffles, omelets, bacon, eggs, pastries, coffee, fresh juice and fruit, The dinner buffet was huge and gave us the chance to try kudu and mealy pap as well as beef, chicken, rice, potatoes, kabobs, sausages, and delicious desserts. We still miss the pudding cake.

The staff was always pleasant and efficient and we had no problems with service.

All in all we arrived not knowing exactly what to expect based on prior reviews. We had an amazing visit, we loved the hotel and the location was exactly what we wanted...less than 5 minutes from Kruger Park. The hotel will be even better once the room renovations are completed and if WiFi was available in the individual rooms instead of just the common areas it would be more convenient.

We had a great visit and hope to return some day.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear BrookeCalifornia

What a lovely detailed review and thank you for taking the time to highlight all the aspects of your holiday at Protea Hotel Kruger Gate that you enjoyed.

40 hours is a long time to travel and I apologise for your initial disappointment regarding the room allocated. I am however happy to advise that renovations of all rooms will be finished by mid-2013.

It seems that you really embraced the African bushveld whilst sitting outside on the leather couches and relaxing at the viewing decks enjoying your mini-safari. The pictures that you uploaded were really good and capture the beautiful surroundings that the hotel is set in.

Game drives that are packed with excitement and activity can certainly let one work up an appetite and our chefs will be thrilled that you ate most of your meals at the hotel and enjoyed them through and through.

The STAFF are very enthusiastic and take pride in the quality service that they offer. Your compliments will be well received and will go a long way in motivating the TEAM.

I hope you had a lovely time and that the long trip back home went well.

Protea Hotel Kruger Gate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skukuza
Hippo Hollow Country Estate
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Sabie River Bush Lodge
Sabie River Bush Lodge
#4 of 39 in Hazyview

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate? Share your experiences!