The hotel has a very good location, next to Krugers Park and 1.5 h driving time from Nelspruit Airport. Encouraged by the hotel web site we requested airport transfer by e-mail, but our e-mails remained unanswered until our South African friend called the the hotel directly and insisted on a response. Pick up and transfer were then ok.
When being in the hotel we learned that one of the persons who takes care of booking the transfers and tours is Ellias, who is unfriendly and not helpful. Information about the transfers, safaris, and tours may be easier obtained from Johan, a representative of Echo Safaris, whose desk is in the same room.
Front desk staff is generally not helpful. At check-in, we received no information about the facility. It was even a problem to get two keys for a double room. Full payment for the whole stay was required at check-in ! The front desk only theoretically offers foreign currency exchange. We tried to exchange 50 US dollars throughout our stay but they never had enough local currency for the exchange. The front desk was not able to help us with printing boarding passes. We had also problems with other staff members, from receiving incorrect information at the bar to waiting for 45 minutes for a check at lunch. In general, most young staff members in the hotel are not operative and not friendly. The Lapa restaurant (dinner) is a positive exception.
The hotel is a big facility with a big garden (with monkeys and few impalas), tennis area, minigolf, a very small pool, a pool bar (open until 7pm) with a view on the Krugers Park, and a small souvenir shop, which also sells water (6.50 ZAR per 500 ml bottle) etc. Purchases in the shop cannot be charged to the room.
Our room was ok, with a flat screen tv, kettle, safe, reading light, two suitcase racks. The bed was comfortable.
The bathroom was nicely arranged with a big walk-in shower and features of the history of Krugers Park. All light switches were located in one place what was very convenient. The closet was very small.
The doors did not open with an electronic key when they were locked from the inside (red light flashes, as if the key is not working). There was no Internet connection in the room.
A computer with free internet access, but no printer, was available in lobby area. The free WiFi in the lobby was sometimes working, but most of the time it was not.
Cleaning was ok, except the "balcony" window was once left open by a staff member who entered the room while we were away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza