We have been coming here for a while, and the rooms never get any better. We have yet to see a renovated room despite the fact that we are regulars and request nice rooms. Like R0many, we have had our fair share of musical rooms on check in. Some of them, for one reason or another, are just awful. Others are okay. Deferred Maintenance seems to be the culprit and the time has come to bite the bullet -- paint the walls, new curtains and bedspreads and repair the broken locks and windows. And please, the bathrooms!!! The rooms on the lower level always seem to smell moldy. Modern technology has ways of dealing with this. Invest!
The condition of the rooms is quite sad because the property itself is quite lovely and the location at the Kruger Gate is terrific for day trips into the Park. The Boma dinners have terrific ambience and are fun even though the grilled food is always overcooked. The grounds and viewing platforms are lovely and common areas are pleasant to sit around and chat. Staff could use some retraining but they are no worse than staff at other similar properties in South Africa.
The bones are here for a first rate property. Time to spend some money and do a revamp so those of us who are regulars do not drive up and dread seeing which room we will be getting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Marriott so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza