We chose the hotel on the basis of good reviews and nice photos. The reality was slightly more disappointing!
On arrival the staff were friendly, yet clearly trying to work out if you were going to be a big-tipper or not... after that they didn't seem to bother much. Courteous yes, but not particularly welcoming.
We were shown our room. It was dark, stank of mould, the bath was leaking all over the bathroom floor and the locks to the patio doors were broken...
I have never asked to change rooms in a hotel in my life, yet this was just grim so before finished the unpacking we asked to move and they dutifully obliged.
The next room we were given was on the ground floor, smelt just as musty, and the doors would still not lock properly - which felt even more unsafe being at ground level! So we asked if there were any other options.
Our third room was on back on the upper level, and was marginally better. Enough of an improvement to make it worth moving, but still nothing near what I would expect from a hotel of the Protea's reputation (and believe me, I have stayed in a LOT of hotels!).
The pool was not kept very clean. I even used one of the cleaning nets to scoop old leaves out so my children could play more easily. In the nets I also scooped up several very thin odd looking worms about 10 inches long... not terribly pleasant.
The outside terraces, bar and game viewing platform were nice enough. And the best thing about the place was the food, which was excellent - great variety and plenty of tasty options even for fussy eaters.
I hear that the rooms have started to be renovated since we were there - this work was very overdue. It saddens me that we stayed there before this work was undertaken - had we had a nicer room the whole experience would have been a whole lot more positive. As it was we just felt completely ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate - Where the bushveld is your playground, no matter your age! Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate, a superior lodge style hotel on the banks of the Sabie River in Mpumalanga offers an affordable luxury getaway. The ambiance of comfort is unforgettable in the context of the African bush. Enjoy the serenity of being in a tree house that overlooks the bushveld, whilst you watch the wildlife go by. Keep your head in the clouds as the veranda and walkway to your air-conditioned room is at a level normally the sole domain of the variety of birds found in the area. Situated only 100 meters from the Paul Kruger Gate of the Kruger National Park, the luxurious Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate provides guests with the ideal location from which to experience wildlife first-hand. This lodge offers bush drives in a Private Reserve and throughout the Kruger National Park, along with open vehicle safaris and organized game trails for you and your family. Don't forget your binoculars in this birdwatchers paradise. A days adventure is best ended off with a visit to the stunning open air Lapa Restaurant. With an extensive array of local foods to choose from, enjoy a dinner under the African stars. We can even make special arrangements for a Tree house sleep out. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Marriott, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Kruger Gate Hotel Skukuza
- Protea Kruger Gate Skukuza
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Kruger Gate Hotel
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Kruger Gate South Africa/Skukuza