“Poor service”
Review of The Merchant

The Merchant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Secunda
The Merchant
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Secunda
Reviewed November 20, 2013

My fiance and I stayed there as we were attending a wedding at the lodge. I was utterly dissappointed. I am in the industry and I have to say it is probably the worst service I have ever received. Reception staff are rude, unfriendly and not very helpful. On Sunday morning when we went for breakfast, there was no clean table...all the staff were hanging around reception sharing a naartjie from the breakfast buffet, which still had price stickers on them! There is no assistance after 22:00, what if your key card does not work? No phones in the rooms, the music is terribly loud in the passages, the glasses at the lodge of the wedding we attended were dusty and had spiders in them! Waitering staff chewing gum and talking on their phones while clearing tables. Disgusting service and I am glad I dont have to return to Secunda in the future.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Samantha W

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Spent 5 weeks at this hotel between August and November 2012. The staff at this hotel are probably the friendliest and most welcoming that I have ever met at any hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable bed, cleaned to a good standard daily and come with TV, a good size fridge, tea/coffee making equipment and excellent shower. There is a wide choice at breakfast and the food is of good quality.
Boesies bar and restaurant is separate from the main hotel building but the service and friendliness of the staff is also excellent. The choice and quality of food in Boesies is also very good.
The Merchant is very well located on the Waterfront with a good selection of bars and restaurants in close proximity.
Looking forward to returning in August 2013.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Tony R
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Merchant Hotel is well located on the waterfront, with lots of activities and various restaurants to choose from. Friendly reception staff. Spacious room with awesome bath. Slept like a baby. Was very happy with service. Slept for one night. Excellent for business.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Corli V
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Secunda is not a great town, and I wouldn't visit it on holiday. But for a business stay, the Merchant was better than expected: clean, comfortable, sufficient TV channels, close to the plant and amenities, and relatively quiet. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing north (towards town), rather than south (towards the lake/ plant), as it's...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I'm surprised that this is listed as the best hotel in Secunda. I stayed here for about two months before trying two other hotels, and I was very happy to leave. As many other reviewers stated, the front desk service isn't very good. They couldn't care less if they could help you with something, and when I did ask for help they acted like I was an inconvenience. The internet was almost useless because of how slow it was. The shower had a glass wall between the bathroom and the room (I only mention this in case someone were to share the room with someone). The beds were very hard, with very large pillows. And during the day the housekeeping was very annoying. Every morning (early) they would knock on the door to see if it was occupied and needed cleaning (even after telling them we'd be there for two months) and once they cleaned it they would take all of the sheets and towels for most of the day. I was stuck with no linens while my husband was at work.

The good points about The Merchant are limited. The location is great because there are lots of restaurants within walking distance and Lake Umuzi is something pretty to look at. Also, the included breakfast buffet was quite good.

If your company is footing the bill and/or you can afford to pay more for a room, I highly recommend staying at Graceland instead of The Merchant.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The room was pleasant enough, we only stayed for a night and the conference centre we were in is in the same complex as the hotel so it is conveniently located.The bathroom is a little small but ok for a short business trip.
The unseen fumes pollution in the town gave us sinusitis and headaches in just 24hours.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wayne and Mari K
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Dear Traveller

I had to be based for an entire week in Secunda. Staying at the hotel was a mildly pleasant experience.

Main Issues
They have no phones in the room so you constantly have to physically go to reception for towels and wake up calls and everything else. No porter and no lift so I suggest you travel light as you will be carrying your own bags. Hair Dryer in my room was broken, they dont have any spare and they sent a handyman to fix it. He did but it was a cold hairdryer. At one stage I reverted to knocking on the neighbours door and drying my hair in his room. Not a pleasant experience. Then when in doubt the receptionist will always say "unfortunately not mam" no matter what it is and wont even attempt to help. If you go there on a sunday night, no food is served and they do not serve any room service at all period. You will have to find a external restaurant. TV Channals were strange and I just stayed on the Disney channel as there really was no other acceptable TV to watch. Thank goodness I carried my own movies on my laptop.

Things I was grateful for:
The Decor of the place is nice and has a rustic charm and the rooms. The wireless was on and I was very grateful for it, despite it being slow it was stable. Hot water in the mornings were available. Breakfast was nice.

Sad to note that this is probably the most suitable hotel in Secunda but by no way does it even come close to the service that a traveller needs.

Room Tip: Book rooms on the first floor, less stairs and towards the left side/back of hotel as its not facing...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Secunda
Peermont Walmont at Graceland
#6 of 17 in Secunda
Noeline's Guest House
Noeline's Guest House
#1 of 17 in Secunda

Been to The Merchant? Share your experiences!