“Fantastic setting, huge apartment, needs a little maintenance”

St Lucia Ecolodge and Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in St Lucia
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Seasands is in a lovely wooded setting. The tree outside our apartment had several bush babies living in it, and hippos were grazing on the lawn on the opposite side of the road during the night. We have stayed here several time before and it is comfortable and convenient. The place is getting a little tired and could use some maintenance, especially around the pool- it wasn't clean and the decking is part rotten. Nonetheless, a lovely comfortable place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Zotsha
There are newer reviews for St Lucia Ecolodge and Conference Centre

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Only stayed here for one night but was very pleased. Large room with a balcony, comfy beds and had a good nights sleep. Aircon cooled the room down to 'arctic' levels despite it being blisteringly hot outside which always goes down well with me. The grounds are very pleasant and would certainly like to return and spend more time here. Ideal location for exploring the iSimangaliso wetland park. Beware of Hippos in the street outside at night - so say the warning signs!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank N_Young47
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed at Seasands lodge from 14 to 16 December 2013. Thank goodness we did not book more nights. This lodge was a huge dissapointment to us. We stayed in no 11. We are convinced that no Supervisor checked the unit before we arrived. The unit had an overwhelming damp smell. There were old insect poo in all the rooms and on the staircase and beds which means nobody bothered to clean the unit before we arrived. The kettle was broken and we had to ask for another kettle. The electricity kept tripping at the DB board (even after we replaced the kettle). The TV in the lounge was not working properly - the picture was not clear. The cover on the couch in the lounge was so dirty that we did not even sit on it. The showerhead in the main bedroom bathroom was on a fixed (not adjustable) hight which meant that the water landed traight on your face and no matter when you showered you had no choice but to dry your hair afterwards The lady at Reception, on our arrival, was very friendly but that is the only positive thing I can say about this lodge. The parking was a huge problem - there are not sufficient parking for all the vehicles.
When we left I was all geared up to tell them what our impression of the lodge was but there was this tired looking gentleman at Reception and he did not even bother to ask how our stay was. He just took the money and gave me a receipt - he was not at all interested in asking me whether we were happy with the place, etc...

Room Tip: I would not recommend this lodge to friends and family
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank CarolBloem
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Seasands with my family from 4-6 December 2013. Communication while planning my stay was very poor. I had to send email after email, because there was no replies. When i got the reply some of my questions were still not answered. When I finally called, the administrator wasted my airtime by telling me about her administrative problems such that I had to cut her short. When I was already driving to the place I received several calls, telling me about things that should have been communicated in advance. When checking in it was also the same story, administrator complaining about not knowing where some information regarding my booking was, that somebody had tried to call me...blah blah blah.

I only met one staff member who showed me to the room, and that was the last time we met any staff. We had all our meals out so I cannot comment about service. I commend the staff who service the rooms for their loyalty. They can definitely be trusted. While we were out for the Game drive, my daughter remembered she had left her cellphone in the room. We found it in the room when we got back.

The hotel needs some TLC, maybe some of the rooms like Lodge 15 where we stayed. For a 3 star it looks ok but not a 4 star as indicated. Some of the furniture is quite old and smells of dust and moist. The TV sets could do with an upgrade. The swimming pool needs some cleaning.
Maybe there's a need to improve customer service sothat the Seasands becomes the preferred venue for tourists. I saw a lot of competition in the area and will probably stay with the competitors next time.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bawinile1
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed with another couple in one of the lodges, facilities were basic and well worn, but we had a great time.
you don't go to St L for a couple of days and expect the Ritz!!
Great staff and never less than comfortable atmosphere, we used the place to whale, dolphin and Hippo watch and would go back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were winging it the last few days of our Safari trip and our guide recommened we go to Saint Lucia. He gave us the name of a hotel to try and we mixed it up with another place which ended up being a blessing in disguise. After driving around the VERY small town we found a road that had many bed and breakfast options. The Seasands looked quaint so we gave it a shot. The staff took us around the grounds and to the avaialble rooms before asking for any money. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It is not the ritz and that is not what we wanted. It is charming and the location is excellent. A few must do's while you are there. 1. Take a cruise on the lake to see the Hippos. 2. Go to iSimangaliso Wetlands 3. Watch out for roaming Hippos 4. Go to the Beach!

Room Tip: If you book ahead get a room that faces the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lance129
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our first visit to St. Lucia and we absolutely fell in love with it!!! One of the most beautiful and diverse places in South Africa with 5 ecosystems. We will definitely be back.

We enjoyed our stay at Seasands lodge. We stayed at an upstairs room near to the swimming pool and garden which are really tropical and the view is gorgeous. Unfortunately the rooms and balconies on the property surrounding the swimming pool are not in use and were very run down. This really is a large and lovely property and it is a shame as it could be a stunning place to stay. On the plus side, the swimming pool was not too busy and we preferred the privacy.
Excellent location, friendly and helpful staff. But beware: hippos are known to come onto the property to drink water and graze at night! We thought this was terribly exciting.

The rooms: We had an upstairs room which was very much to our liking- comfortable, spacious, but nothing too fancy- a typically South African style lodge! The rooms were tidy and clean with a large mosquito net covering the bed. The bathroom and kitchen were decent but could use an update, but because of the nature of the lodge, it was fitting that it was more homely and basic as opposed to sleek and modern. Especially because of the lush, wild, tropical environment! We loved coming home to relax under the aircon and flicking through the channels on tv.

We didn't make use of the stove in the kitchen but we stored drinks and food in the fridge. We also learnt about the presence of cockroaches and their remarkable size- being city dwellers we were slightly unnerved but learnt that this is to be expected in a coastal area such as this. If you are afraid of cockroaches, this lodge may not be for you as there were several in the kitchen and the bathroom. We didn't go into the kitchen again after several confrontations with them. Had I been staying alone I may have had heart failure.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Monzi Safaris Tented Camp
Monzi Safaris Tented Camp
#2 of 32 in St Lucia
St. Lucia Wetlands Guesthouse

Been to St Lucia Ecolodge and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!