“Good place in StLucia, also for single traveller”

Rhino Coast Guest House
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good place in StLucia, also for single traveller”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I travelled thru South Africa by myself and the Rhino Coast Guest House is a good place to stay when you travel alone. My room was spacious, clean, with a fridge and private safe. A nice lounging area with lots of sofas and chairs. A large kitchen that I could use in the evenings to prepare my own meals. The swimming pool is small but nice, clean and offering both sunshine and shade. My room had a semi-private terrace alongside the pool. Breakfast is more than sufficient and when on tours (both guided and by myself) my breakfast would be more than enough to cover my lunch too. They helped me book local night game drive tours with Shakatours which I can highly recommend and a bird watching tour with Themba which I can recommend too. I also travelled by myself in the St Lucia area (north side of Cape Vidal park and St Lucia lake - worth a visit) as well as to and in Hluhluwe park which is about 50-60 minutes driving. It is no problem to tour the parks by yourself. Staff member Angel had evening shifts during my stay and she is nothing short of an Angel and helped me out in the kitchen and whatever questions I had. Beware of the free roaming monkeys who might like your breakfast and the hippos at night in St Lucia street. The lodge is within walking distance of the main road with restaurants, gas station, supermarkets and ATMs. The only downside was that the WIFI connection only worked in the lounge area but then again, that was a very comfortable place to hang out.

Room Tip: I liked my room close to the swimming pool so would try and get one of those.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Madeleine B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stay at Rhino Coast Guesthouse between Christmas and New year. We loved it.
We say in the family room. The service was good. On arrival we were told what to do, where to go and we were given information on the town. The staff is excellent and they assist in every way. We loved our stay and will go back to Rhino Coast. The staff was Friendly, help full. Breakfast was very good. It is only the monkeys that think the breakfast is for them, and they can help themself with the fruit. A lot of info was given to us for new years eve and for new year. We went out to two restaurants called Ocean Sizler and Braza. The rest of the time we cook our self in the guesthouse. The guesthouse so have a huge Kitchen and braai fasilities is available. We enjoy our stay it was relaxing and like our onw home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Rhino Coast guest house is a very neat and good looking guest house. The people working at the Rhino Coast guest house are very friendly. The breakfast served is nice and well organised. We were able to use the kitchen when we asked if we could and also a good service was provided regarding tours and trips.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Clips S
Brisbane
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our family of four picked this place after visiting and inspecting five guesthouses in St Lucia, so we had a good look around. The price was a little higher than the others, but it looked the brightest and most upscale, and had nice gardens, a pool, nice common sitting areas, and a quiet location. It turned out to be OK, but like so many places, you’re not aware of the down sides until you’re there. As best I could tell, the sheets were not cleaned between the last guests and us. That’s a showstopper for me. And, although each of the rooms I saw was pretty well done up and obviously fairly recently renovated, it’s the staff that really let this place down. They were pleasant when conversing, but we had to ask for towels, toilet paper, pillowcases (they actually never came), and other things that should have been there. They were quite busy texting and watching South African “Idol” (TV show), which we assumed explained the fact that the bathroom floors hadn’t been mopped in who-knows-how-long and the place suffered from a general grime that really left you with a sense of “gee, such huge potential, too bad it hasn’t been cleaned properly...”. Again, it’s probably not worse than others, but it bills itself as “upmarket” (from the brochure), and charges accordingly, so needs to do better to achieve value for money. It probably just needs the owner and staff to pay closer attention to detail.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Scott F
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a wonderful time in St Lucia. We stay at Rhino coast Guesthouse, excellent place to be in. The manager Juliet and her assistance Wendy and Tabi was a great help in all our plans. We only stay 3 nights in St Lucia and it is to short. I would suggest if you book stay 4-5 nights. We do a boat cruise, Whale whatching, snorkeling, Hluhluwe Game Park and walking.
we would love to do the Zulu tour and horse riding but time was limited. We will difently go back.

Room Tip: we had stay in room 3 it is a huge room with a en-suite bathroom (bath and shower) View over the sw...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarel L
Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Unfortunate we had a stay for 3 days at this guesthouse. Part of the beds were not clean. Clean towels you only get after special request at the early night. Hygiene in the kitchen is absurd. Breakfast is very poor. This guesthouse needs daily proper management which can not be realized in 5 minutes per day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family