“cool! crocks ...and very close :-)”

Crocodile Centre St Lucia
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“cool! crocks ...and very close :-)”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

on the day we we're there it was very quiet. so we learned a lot about that species. it was a nice trip that takes around 2-3 houres to go true all the stations. with a great refreshing drink and a very informing chat with the assistant at the café we had a great time. but it is just open till 4pm so it's better to be there early enough.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank G_Marvel

• Polish first
Durban, South Africa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“crocs come alive”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

interesting, exciting, inviting , all want you expect from a croc farm. staff knowelagable and personable.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank inyoni
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

There were few people around when we visited but it was worthwhile and enjoyable as well as educational. Good shop as well as one of the best milk shakes I have had .

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Phillip F
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Crocs rock!”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I went to the Crocodile Centre towards the end of a spell spent as a volunteer on a game reserve and freely admit to being sceptical about the whole idea - having seen so many animals in the wild why bother with captive reptiles? Fortunately I didn't let my scepticism get the better of me because this is a great place to visit.

Located just outside the town of St Lucia, by one of the gates to the iSimangaliso Wetlands World Heritage Site, the entrance to the centre features some very informative and well presented displays about the wildlife and ecology of the region.

However this place is about the live specimens not the static exhibits. The Nile crocodile, being the main species on the continent and the only native to South Africa, is represented in the greatest numbers, from hatchlings a few weeks old right through to a 90 year old female. During our tour we had the chance to handle one of the very young crocs and this was enough to make me realise I wouldn't want to handle one of its bigger relatives!

The centre also runs a breeding programme for slender-snouted and dwarf crocodiles which are both native to West Africa, as well as having alligators, terrapins, tortoises and some snakes on display.

If this all sounds slightly predictable the thing that really made our visit was the guide who showed us round. He had evidently been a frequent visitor to the centre as a boy and I don’t think I have ever met anybody who has so clearly landed up with their dream job. His knowledge, love and enthusiasm for all things reptilian was so obvious throughout.

As with many wildlife attractions in this part of the world funding is clearly an issue. One of their most obvious sources of revenue is from visitors and I would urge you to go and support them.

Visited December 2011