“I love the wildlife”

Heritage Day Tours & Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Heritage tours & Safaris was established by people that LOVE wildlife. Family owned and proudly South African, our aim has always been to enthusiastically share that love and passion with all the satisfied tourists that have been though our hands.Heritage Tours & Safaris offers the widest range of Big 5 Safaris, night drives, hippo and croc cruises and Whale Watching.Our safaris/activities are not only affordable but also offer our guests a value-filled product with a personal touch.We invite you to find out for yourself what sets us apart as a safari company.
Rustenburg, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I love the wildlife”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

It was definitively my most amazing holidays I ever had.
I did all the tours and safaris with Heritage Tours, which was really cool.
I had day tours in Hluhluwe uMfolozi and isimangaliso wetland park. And nightdrives as well. I saw the big 5 and a hole lot of other animals, and had a great time in St. Lucia. Its a small touristic town with a lot of fishermen. You can just relax on the beach, go shopping in the small nice shops, watch Hippos and Crocs in the Estuary, go deep sea fishing or do different walks and safaris to see, experience and learn about the nature and the south african wild life. And in the eening its gonna be hard to deide what restaurant or bar to choose, cause there are lots and really nice of those.
I never saw a chamelion in my life, here i could even touch it. The guides a very friendly and competent, even if you are with dangerous animals, you feel always safe with your guide. And it gives you an idea of how great it is, what ever you see there, when you see how much even your guide is amazed by seeing a lion close. You can learn a lot, you can ask any kind of question, you wount be dissapointed. Really stunning is also to see the sun comming up, when you are on you'r way to the game reserve. Its an amazing place to spend your holidays, cause you have the sea, two game reserves just next door which gives you an idea of this great countrys nature.

4 Thank FriediWaechtler
Quentin M, Owner at Heritage Day Tours & Safaris, responded to this review, May 12, 2016
Apologies for the late reply... Thank you so much for taking the time for such a lovely review. will be sure to pass on the compliments to our team :)

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very friendly and helpful”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Heritage Day tours is run by a lovely group of people. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming, as are most of the people in St Lucia. I was in South Africa for two months, and visited St Lucia for the first time. I loved it so much I returned for a second visit before I left S.A!! And of course I used Heritage day tours for all my excursions.
I went on a full day game drive, this being my first safari, and had a brilliant time. The guide was very helpful, knowing that the experience was all new to me!! Throughout my stay in st lucia i went on a few half day game drives as well as the game drive to Cape vidal where you can also go snorkling and you have a braai for lunch! On the game drives you are taken care of completely, the guides are always prepared and willing to assist you and give you as much information as possible!!!
Not only does Heritage day tours run the game drives, but they will arrange excursions such as horse riding and kiyaking with other companies for you, so there are always things to do! In their office, they have a vast amount of information for your stay in st lucia, including accommodation and where you can find the best food and company! if you are backpacking, the owners of Heritage day tours also run a great backpackers in st lucia, in walking distance of everything you need! brilliant facilities available and great service!
I hope you enjoy your stay in st lucia as much as i did!!

3 Thank bushbaby85
Franschhoek, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“great service”
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights in St-Lucia and made use of Heritage tours for all our excursions in St-Lucia. Heritage tours is having a nice information office in the main street of St-Lucia. We went for a full day game drive in Hluhluwe and we had 'the big 5". The next day we went for a snorkel-safari in Cape Vidal and for a night-drive. This was amazing! We had a leopard very close to our open vehicle. Thanx for this great experience and the great service. The guides were very helpfull and they know and see everthing...

london UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Good trips etc that you should take and ones to avoid”
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I was there last week for 5 days (mid July) so have quite a few tips on things to do.
General booking tips for trips:

Go to Heritage tours-it's pretty much next to the petrol station in the middle of town. Couple of reasons:

a) The person there speaks English fluently. This is a big help when you're trying to get info/sort out your (possibly) tight schedule. I didn't go there initially and found it harder to book at Bibs where I was staying simply because I felt that I wasn't understood so well-sorry. They have all the tours etc that everyone else does but with one bonus which is....
b) As far as I'm aware, only Heritage do a full day safari going to Hluhewe game reserve (spelling?) for only 395 rand! All others are about 650-750 rand. the only difference is you provide your own food, so big deal. You'll stop for lunch at a tourist centre anyway, and they have meals etc if you don't fancy doing your own. Beware, these start early in the morning so will be v cold again, and if you're leaving from St Lucia you might have to sit in the open top part of the jeep for an hour before you get to the reserve. That would be very cold indeed. Thankfully I was in the cab with heating.

Individual trips that I don't think are worth doing:
1) Night time safaris for approx 225 rand. Not really worth it-you don't see that much in my opinion. Also, at this time of year it's FREEZING in the back of an open top jeep. If you do decide to do it, then wear a hat/gloves etc-it really can get that cold. Not so bad if you're not moving, but that isn't very often.
2) Whale watching. I didn't do this because it's over 700 rand for 2 hours-crazy. See below for deep sea fishing-you'll be at sea for longer, catch fish, and almost certainly see whales anyway.

Worth doing:
1) Instead of night time safari, do the Wetland Eastern Shore drive (think it's called that) for 300 rand. You go to the same places but get a few hours of daylight-you see much more (we saw black rhinos and hippois in a bathing pool at sunset) due to twilight occurring while you're therer. You also get to to some night time stuff so you'll probably see bush babies. Amazingly, in the night time section we didn't see much at all. Oh yeah, you also get wine, coffe and crisps/biscuits on this so a result all round.
2) Deep sea fishing. Awesome. 650 rand and you're out for about 6 hours. You're heading out to sea from the beach, so you have to get through the waves-great fun! Also, you're more than likely to see whales, either close or far, just the luck of the draw. I went twice and whales were v close the 2nd time, at a distance first time.
Awesome sunrises out at sea, and you get to keep what you catch! It's not for the squeamish though-you have to bait your own hook with slimy calamari and sardines. The sardines you have to cut in half, and they can leak all kinds of gunk while you putting them on the hook. You also have to take the hooks out of the mouths of the fish too. You'll get help of course, but you can't expect it every time. I'm squeamish about this stuff but I overcame it so it can be done.
I went twice with different people-my individual recommendation is to go with a boat called Harleqyn run by Johan Potgeiter-there are signs all over town. He's a great bloke, full on Afrikaaner with lots of stories, lots of advice and is very helpful on the boat He was constantly untangling my line and helping me (hadn't been fishing in 20 years and was always reluctant in the first place) and was very patient. Also, afterwards, you'll go to an area where the fish is cleaned/gutted AND filleted for you, and he'll buy you a few drinks too, and his wife will turn up to chat. The second mate/helper called Jim is an ex platinum miner, very helpful and very friendly. Obviously, I can't recommend this trip enough.
The other boat that I went on was called Wave Dancer-not so good. The boat was smaller, and the person running it was basically not a nice fella. He was quite rude/abrupt, and he gave the impression that we were part of his own personal fishing trip and that we had to do what he wanted. Example-we went to fish at 100 metres to fish for rock cod. That's 100 metres straight down, with the current that's 130-180 metres of line. It takes a lot of strength to pull up just your line with the weight/bait attached when it's that deep. A few people didn't want to fish because it was such hard work. If you actually hooked one, then it would have been doubtful if you would have the strength to reel it in anyway. But we fished there because the owner wanted rock cod. What we, the clients wanted, didn't matter. The fishing mate was practically silent and again, was more concerned to fish for himself. ALso, the fish are cleaned and gutted but not filleted, and it;s done behind the back of the main garage rather than at a bar which overlooks the estuary where you see crocs/hippos resting with Johan. Avoid!
3) Hippo and croc boat tour 150 rand. See loads of crocs and hippo families/groups (obviously), and for bird watchers there was quite a lot to see too. The unbelievable bonus on this trip was that we saw 2 leopards for 2 minutes, they dropped down from the mangrove trees and jogged alongside us for about 2 minutes-a ridiculously rare event. For 150 rand it's worth a punt!
4) Hluhewe game reserve. Saw giraffes, elephants, rhinos, wildebeest, antelopes (yawn) and water buffalo all up close and lions from afar (through binoculars-luck of the draw really). No leopards, but as stated they're VERY rare. Worth it. Bear in mind it's a solid hour from St Lucia, some on fast roads-if you have a car or have organised the Bazbus, might be better to stay at the hostel next to the reserve. it's a bit isolated, would be nothing to do at the hostel but would be fine for a few days.

8 Thank bootsyjam