“Travelling East coast? Don't miss Kingfisher Lodge at St Lucia”
Review of Kingfisher Lodge

Kingfisher Lodge
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Thank you, Michelle, for a lovely few days. We missed the two hippo having an argument on the lawn one night as we were blissfully asleep in our very comfortable room! The wild life at St Lucia is legendary and we loved your family of vervets who never failed to amuse. The garden's red duikers seemed to become less timid and the bird life is fantastic. Don't forget binoculars and a camera and come for as long as you can!

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jbrownwest

Reviewed February 19, 2011

We were scheduled for a 6 day photo safari farther north and decided we' d try for St. Lucia as a stop if we were successful navigating and driving on the opposite side of the road. When we pulled into the town, it had a great vibe and being a photographer I visited the photo store ran by Eugene on the left midway through town. (side note, it's very well stocked and he's a great resource should photo/electronics issues evolve). He made a few recommendations and we were fortunate to hit Kingfisher with a bit of insight having seen others available. My wife loved the setting and I greatly appreciated Michelle's energy so we had our first night in South Africa figured out. She was more than a great hostess, she was an awesome tour guide and I felt like I was getting a bit of a history and cultural experience thrown in for good measure. We were fortunate to be able to stay for two nights as we delayed going to the Safari to experience more of St. Lucia's charm and Kingfishers comfort. Since we got in about 3 PM Michelle advised us to visit the Ski Boat Club just up the road from her and it turned out to be our best Croc and Hippo viewing of all, including the boat tour we took on our return visit to Kingfisher. (Yes, we liked it so much we came back for two more nights after our safari.) There were adorable Bush Baby monkeys I could photograph easier than our stay at ZuluNyala, although, I gather they are quite a nuisance to property owners. On our return visit it appeared they were going to run the town, it was like Jimanji, the movie with Robin Williams, too dang cute. En route the next day we encountered a group, or tribe, or gaggle, troop,or whatever you call a dozen or so mongoose crossing the road to Kingfisher. This lodge is at the end of the main road in St. Lucia and joins a walking trail which was another cool thing we enjoyed. Note the memorial to the 22yr. old who failed to heed the warning of NOT swimming in the estuary. Michelle has prepared an excellent primer on do's and don'ts- we referred to it for activities, dining, and sites to much success. Since she's been there for some 30+ years I felt I was really 'hanging with a local'. ;-)
While we would have stayed longer on our return visit from safari we were unfortunate in that we had not made an extended reservation, so, we enjoyed two more nights before my wife had to 'give up her lovely white room'... she thoroughly enjoyed the netting around the bed and we were celebrating a bit of an anniversary, so, all the better. Which reminds me, on our first visit whie we were getting our legs after 14 hours on the plane from JFK and our first experience driving opposite the US, I was haggard and confessed to Michelle a bit of trepidation with safety, getting round, etc. and wanting things to be special for my wife. She put me at ease, gave me some more tips, and promptly insisted I take a bottle of South African champagne she had in her fridge to enjoy with my wife with her compliments.... how great is that?
Their landscaping is great, you can have you privacy while being very accesible to others, the pool, etc. if you wish. When we get together our next visit we'll be staying there a week, (with a reservation!)
Oh yes, as were unable to stay another night due to previous bookings so she and Saddie went about finding us a lovely B&B closer to the airport as were needing to catch our flight homeward the next afternoon. It was called St. Annes and it was also great and only 20 minutes from the airport!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LanceMahn
Reviewed January 16, 2011

drive into st. lucia and follow the main road all the way to the end and you will find kingfishers lodge (the last house in south africa before the mozambique border according to the owner...). nice spacious rooms all with their own terrace and a lush garden with plenty of monkeys, mongoose roaming around during the day and hippos drinking water from the pool at night. we liked it so much we ended up extending our stay...

2  Thank marcdeman
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This place is located at the end of St Lucia directly at the river. Our first impression was quite nice as this place has a special flair and you have the feeling that you are in the middle of the nature. We saw meerkats in the garden as well as small monkeys and a red duiker. Unfortunately, we got quite disappointed during our stay. The room was very dirty. The manager told us they got a new cleaning lady but even after cleaning the room a second time the room was not clean at all. Joints in the shower were still musty, glasses had lipstick rests and we had a long hair on the bed table. The owner just retired and the new manager is just doing business as usual. It's quite sad as this place has great potential but it's just not benign.
...and one thing that is really special: It's quite common that hippos coming from the river are walking in the garden and front garden during darkness. When you want to enter your cottage you need to pass the front garden. So we thought this is quite creepy and we didn't like it but maybe you are more a kind of an adventurous person!

3  Thank ulfmertens
Reviewed November 24, 2010

If I could do that over and over it would be complete. What a Spectacular stay with spectacular surrounds. I loved the simplicity and the lack of over-bearing staff. It was simple and to the point with great surrounds and fantastic hospitality. Wish it was groundhog day and I could do it over and over again. Michelle is simply marvellous

1  Thank RichardHyland
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have stayed at Kingfisher Lodge two times in different rooms. I can only say that this is a fantastic place to stay. The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious and very comfortable.
The staff is friendly. Michelle, the owner, is a great lady! We had some problems with our car and she helped us a lot, thank you Michelle!
When I come to St Lucia next time I hope the Kingfisher Lodge will have a room available for me and my husband. And I also hope the Hippo is still coming to drink from the swimmingpool.

1  Thank MargarethaN
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We also stayed at Kingfisher lodge on our way from Kruger to Durban.

We agree with the previous post, we were also in room seven and certainly would not describe it as luxury, just basic. We had to go straight back to the shops to buy toiletries, face washer, fresh milk etc. The fridge was empty and minimal tea bags & coffee supplied, the lounge area is actually outside on patio not in the room.
Maybe we were just lucky but we toured South Africa for 3 weeks, and this was the only accommodation that did not supply these basics.

However as mentioned it was clean and in a lovely setting and certainly the areas in the the main house were luxurious, and the hippo that visits of a night is a great novelty. Breakfast was in a lovely setting with a garden view.

We also saw hippo in the main street at night when we ate at Quarterdeck restaurant, two simply strolled past the restaurant and up the main street grazing along the way, a great experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple