“Groundhog Day Please” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kingfisher Lodge
Johannesburg
“Groundhog Day Please”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

If I could do that over and over it would be complete. What a Spectacular stay with spectacular surrounds. I loved the simplicity and the lack of over-bearing staff. It was simple and to the point with great surrounds and fantastic hospitality. Wish it was groundhog day and I could do it over and over again. Michelle is simply marvellous

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RichardHyland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Linkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have stayed at Kingfisher Lodge two times in different rooms. I can only say that this is a fantastic place to stay. The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious and very comfortable.
The staff is friendly. Michelle, the owner, is a great lady! We had some problems with our car and she helped us a lot, thank you Michelle!
When I come to St Lucia next time I hope the Kingfisher Lodge will have a room available for me and my husband. And I also hope the Hippo is still coming to drink from the swimmingpool.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MargarethaN
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

We also stayed at Kingfisher lodge on our way from Kruger to Durban.

We agree with the previous post, we were also in room seven and certainly would not describe it as luxury, just basic. We had to go straight back to the shops to buy toiletries, face washer, fresh milk etc. The fridge was empty and minimal tea bags & coffee supplied, the lounge area is actually outside on patio not in the room.
Maybe we were just lucky but we toured South Africa for 3 weeks, and this was the only accommodation that did not supply these basics.

However as mentioned it was clean and in a lovely setting and certainly the areas in the the main house were luxurious, and the hippo that visits of a night is a great novelty. Breakfast was in a lovely setting with a garden view.

We also saw hippo in the main street at night when we ate at Quarterdeck restaurant, two simply strolled past the restaurant and up the main street grazing along the way, a great experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thesandmans
Surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stayed 3 nights on our way down from Kruger to the South Coast. We have stayed in the area before and in many B&Bs in South Africa. We were disappointed with our room - No. 7. The only toiletry provided was one bar of guest soap. The fridge was empty with no milk provided for the couple of tea bags (unwrapped) in a bowl covered in cling film - no coffee provided. The bathroom was tired and the tiles needed re-grouting. The setting, however, was lovely and a great deal of care and attention has been lavished on the main lodge where breakfast was served. Again breakfast lacked what we have become used to in SA with no mushroom, tomatoes or sausages offered. In all I would not classify this establishment as up to the standards we have had in SA in the past for a 4* B&B. Perhaps we had the worst room?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oozdat
michellepugniet, Owner at Kingfisher Lodge, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
I am terribly sorry to hear about your ordeal at the St Lucia Kingfisher Lodge. The suite that was assigned to you was undergoing routine maintenance, and our Manager, Mrs. Kholiwe Gumede should not have booked you into this particular suite. She should have known better and she should have checked our system before placing you in this suite. We up-grade our suites every year, since living at the coast takes it's toll on just about everything. I apologise most profusely for this happening to you. What I do not understand is why you did not come to Mrs. Gumede immediately and report this to her without delay? She would have noted that I have this suite under construction on my Hotelier System and she would have systematically moved you to another suite. We were certainly not too busy during this period.

Just one other thing that I need clarity on: you mentioned in your review that we had no mushroons, sausages or tomato at our breakfast? We do not serve sausages at our establishment because pork or beef sausages from our outlets here are a bit dubious. However, I am sure that you did have bacon with your eggs and at least tomato? Mushrooms are served in our omelettes each and every day and not as a side order. For the price we charge for bed and breakfast, I feel that our breakfasts are adequate. I am sorry that you feel the way you do, and I would just like to remind you that we are not a four star establishment. I do not believe in star grading. I have proudly been serving the hospitality industry for 20 years now, and I certainly do not need stars to prove that we offer the best quality for money in St Lucia. As a token of my apology to you, I offer you and your partner a free 4 night stay at the Kingfisher Lodge (out of peak season) any time you like - no time limit on this. I hope that you will take me up on my offer. Thank you for the review.
Kind regards,
Michelle Odette Pugniet
Sole Proprietor
Solothurn, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

My friend and I stayed for 1 week at Kingfishers. Michelle (the owner) was very friendly and helpfull. We always had a great breakfast in the morning. The rooms and the hole house were very beautiful and clean. The staff made a good job. There was a good mood in the hole house and we felt really at home! Thank you again for this nice stay Michelle!!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Oxford, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2010

Michelle and her staff made us feel very at home. The accomodation was very comfortable and the breakfasts delicious. This part of Kwa Zullu Natal is a very unspoilt natural wetland. Don't forget your binoculars (as we did!) and a good camera. There seemed to be surprises round every corner. St Lucia was quiet and friendly at this time of year, but the weather was still very warm. Cape Vidal is well worth a visit, driving through the wetland park with lovely beaches at the end.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

At the end of the road, 'the last house before Mozambique' according to the friendly feisty owner Michelle, Kingfisher lodge is a lovely peaceful place to stay. The old house, stuffed full of artifacts is where the delicious breakfast is served and overlooks the garden, a long sloping lawn surrounded by tropical flowering trees, and with a stunning view down to the estuary of St Lucia inland lake. At night all the hippos come out of the lake in search of their dinner and apparently this garden is one of their regular stop offs!
The accomodation is in purpose built well equiped rooms built in a shady part of the garden next to the house . Monkeys played on the roof of the patios and on our last morning a troupe of mongoose danced across the garden.
A must is a boat trip on the lake in the afternoon to see some of the thousands of hippos frolicing around in the lake. just under the surface it teams with crocodiles and sharks we were told. When we visited, they remained below the water as it was apparently too hot for them!
A trip to the Isimangaliso World Heritage park with views of white rhinos and other animals and on to Cape Vidal an absolutely stunning beach was a great day out.. A car is really useful, although we went with guide Rick who was extremely informative and made us a great barbeque at the beach

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple