“The perfect trip”
Review of Wild Journeys

Wild Journeys
Ranked #5 of 12 Tours in Nelspruit
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I am very grateful to all those travellers who posted reviews about 'Wild Journeys' on Trip Advisor. Otherwise I may never have known about this amazing travel company, who really do give their clients the dream trip of a lifetime without breaking the bank. In fact, the cost was much more reasonable than what other people I know, have paid for similar trips.

Recently my 17 year old and I returned from a 2 week trip to South Africa, Zambia and Botswana. Carl, of Wild Journeys, listened to our wish list and beautifully tailored an itinerary which gave us exactly the kind of experiences we were hoping for. In fact, they exceeded our expectations. In addition, there were absolutely no glitches as far as hotels, transfers, flights etc. Everything ran smoothly and everyone who looked after us was friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

I have done quite a lot of travelling in my life, but never experienced anything that came close to this. Thank you Wild Journeys for arranging such an unforgettable trip for us!

1  Thank Liz M

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I'm a really late in entering this one, sorry it was before I had knowledge of tripadvisor.
Our guide Karl was the best. we used Wild Journey back in Sept. 2008 for our Kruger Park stay. Karl was very polite, informative and helpful. He made our stay in South Africa one of the most memorable things. It was basically a private tour only my wife and I in the van so time was all ours, it was great nobody pushing it was at our pace. We hit gates open for 6 toured for 3-4 hours had a great brunch each day at the various camps then toured till just before gates close at 5:30-6pm. What a time. When not if we return to SA we will definitely be looking up Karl once again for a longer stay.

1  Thank pdamac
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My wife has long wanted to go on a safari so, together with our friends ( another couple with whom we travel annually), we spent 2 weeks in beautiful South Africa. Wild Journeys and Carl Ritter were recommended and we couldn't have been happier with the service. We dealt with Carl strictly by email and he tailored the trip to our wishes. Carl was professional and responsive throughout and everything came off without a hitch during our sojourn. I should add that the 4 of us are in our late 50s.

Everyone with whom we came in contact during our vist was friendly and helpful. The areas we visited were visually beautiful with some of the best vistas I have seen anywhere. Capetown is a vibrant city (but windy) and the area down the Peninsula to the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point is ruggedly mesmerizing. Much the same can be said of the Garden Route along the Indian Ocean (we stayed in Knysna). All of this was in contrast to the rolling hills in the wine country which were, in their own way, magnificent.

For hotels, we stayed at the Cape Grace in Capetown, Grande Roche in Paarl and Knysna Heights Villa in Knysna. I can only say that accommodations and service were 5 star all the way.

Most importantly, the trip was built around the safaris and for that we were booked for 3 nights into Londolozi Resort in Sabi Sands and 3 nights at Savanna Lodge. The 6 days were a magical adventure that exceeded my expectations. I have described it to friends as feeling part of a National Geographic documentary and giving new meaning to the term "up close and personal" in respect of the jungle treks. If you love animals and the idea of seeing them in their natural habitat, I recommend you call Wild Journeys and book now. The guides and spotters in both lodges were friendly and extremely knowledgeable, the accommodations were again 5 star and staff were endearing to a person. Truly a wonderful adventure.

2  Thank Gary F
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Wild Journeys provided us with the most amazing African experience. First stop was Cape Town where the accommodation the Peninsula Hotel was superb. All tours described were great and Pat Littlejohn was so very helpful when our flight was delayed by one day in helping us revamp our schedule for Cape Town.
Camp Shonga in Kruger Park is a true gem. This intimate bush retreat is for those who like small groups. The down side is that you eat a whole lot of amazing food and cannot walk it off. Dixon, our ranger was extremely knowledgeable and Henry, the camp manager does all he can to make your stay enjoyable. The tented rooms are very spacious and the outdoor shower is superb. The pool was not used during our stay and that could use an upgrade.
In Botswana, we stayed at the Chobe Safari Lodge. This is more resort like. The game drive in Chobe is full of elephants for those who want to see them in every combination. The river cruise allows you to see them crossing the river if you are lucky. There are also many hippos.
The Lodge itself is well appointed and the buffet dinner has a very large selection.
We stayed at the David Livingstone Safari Lodge in Zambia. This is a very nice property with lovely rooms overlooking the Zambezi river. The sundowner cruise is quite nice with drinks and hors d'oeuvres served. The trip to Victoria Falls is a lovely 1.5 hour walk along the falls with many photo taking opportunities and a short stop at the village market to barter for goods. Start low, they start high and you meet somewhere in the middle..or that is how it works on most occasions. Prices to eat the David Livingstone can be pricey. We noticed that not many people were eating dinner and seemed to eat a late lunch and skip dinner all together due to the prices.

Overall, I would travel anywhere with Wild Journeys as the service they provided was very personal and we did not feel like we were on a tour but on a personal vacation with help on some days.

4  Thank Deborah B
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I need to thank Pat Littlejohn and Wild Journeys for the trip of a lifetime. I went with 4 other friends (all women) and we are no spring chickens (55-67) and we all loved every moment! We took the Silver tour of Kruger, Chobe, Vic Falls and Capetown.

Kruger, Camp Shonga - if you go ask Pat/Wild Journeys for Sofisa as a guide. He went to extraordinary lengths to make sure we saw the Big Five...which we did along with giraffe, hippo, impala, cheetah etc. Betsy rode up front with Sofisa and learned about tracking. We saw lions and their prides on a daily basis. We saw a near kill...lions stalking a herd of cape buffalo...finally surrounding a mature buffalo and a calf. The older one let out a scream and got away as the lions attacked the calf. Instantly the buffalo herd turned around and stampeded the lions, saving the calf. This all happened at night but we were able to see everything b/c Sofiso had spotlights on them. We also saw 3 leopards...two females fighting over turf and the male.

At Camp Shonga we were treated wonderfully...the food was cooked to order (gourmet) and Hendry (the manager) met us after the evening game drive with hot chocolate. BTW...on the morning safaris Sofiso stopped halfway thru and we had tea and muffins and the evening safari we had wine/soda and hors d'oervres! Camp Shonga is a 5 tent camp...no more than 10 people, and you can look out from your deck and see elephant/giraffe/buffalo/impala in your backyard. Wild Journeys makes every give you in the true African experience. Jan was sleeping in the sun by the pool and awoke to see an elephant staring right at her. (there is an electrified fence to keep them from coming in to camp) The elephant was as surprised as she was and slowly backed away! The tents are large and have bath/fireplace and electrical connection to recharge cameras. If there is one drawback it would be that that the camp runs on a generator so you don't always have hot water when you want it. Its important to schedule showers/baths etc.

At Chobe, Botswana, we were in a luxury hotel...Wild Journeys arranged beautiful accomodations and dining at every stop. The game drive was good, but it is a business there and you don't get the personal touch we had at Shonga. The afternoon cruise was the best...such a pleasurable way to spend an afternoon, sipping a glass of Capetown wine and watching the herds of elephants and hippos/crocs and birds. Molly saw a croc slowly slink into the water when the oncoming elephant stamped her foot in warning. At Chobe you can walk to the small town if you want to see the local culture. (Many warthogs and monkeys all around, especially at the pool where they will steal your food/drink).

From Chobe we went to Livingstone, Zambia. (BTW...Gail loved the little boat ride from Botswana to Zambia...hawkers waiting to sell us souvenirs, getting the visa...the real Africa). Livingstone was terrific too...5 star accomodations again and another boat cruise. If you look online at David Livingstone Hotel you will see beautiful pix of the hotel and grounds...it lives up to the hype...Fabulous! At Livingstone, Wild Journeys made reservations for us to take the microfight over the Falls, Gail took the helicopter, Jan, Betsy and I walked with lions and Molly rode the elephant. We also went to the market where we loaded up with souviners after haggling with the merchants.

From Zambia we flew to Capetown where Wild Journeys arranged our own personal guide for 3 days. We saw everything and actually changed one of the days around so we could go to animal sanctuaries too. Capetown is lovely and exciting and cosmpolitan. Great food and accomodations once again. The hotel had a free shuttle to take you wherever you want, so we were able to shop at the Victoria mall at the waterfront and go to the Green Market. and enjoy a fabulous caffe latte after shopping.

I know this is long and wordy....but many times when you travel and you have booked online and never met the person responsible, there may be doubt in your mind. Put your doubts to rest...Pat Littlejohn and Wild Journeys get the job done!!

6  Thank vani67