“Stunning Guesthouse” 5 of 5 bubbles

Leaves Lodge & Spa
Pretoria, South Africa
“Stunning Guesthouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This guesthouse is stunning! I was so impressed when I walked into the front door, the interior, the views, the sound of the river. My room was lovely and spacious. I even had undercover parking. Service was extremely professional. I also had a quick back and neck massage before dinner - just what I needed in my high stresses lifestyle. I found the dinner tray, which was served in the room, ideal as I was tired and not in the mood for small talk with strangers. The food was of good quality and very tasty. I can highly recommend this guesthouse for business travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank May G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We checked in and were told that we could upgrade and were shown the room that we booked which was surrounded by builders, scaffolding and noise, so we upgraded. Later I thought that perhaps we should have been upgraded without additional cost, because of the disruption of the building work, but by then it was too late. The room was lovely, the views stunning, and Lucy was a sweetheart. We had a birthday whilst we were there, and although they did put flowers and champagne in the room, we paid for it all, no additional gestures. We had dinner on the first night, which was tasty, but served in the room, not in the dining room, not our choice but theirs. The garden was a disappointment, as was the pool, which looked rather neglected. Overall, it was convenient as a stop off en route to Kruger but a little disappointing in spite of Lucy's best efforts. The owner never spoke to us during our stay, not even to say hello!

Room Tip: Beware of building work and having to upgrade to avoid it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarieBreenSmyth
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I was a little leery at first when the car pulled up to the property. It is in a residential area, and it looked like a house. Well, it IS a house!!! Be warned: there is no elevator. You enter into this wide open area and see a sunken "living room" with a piano in front of you and then an area with tables to to left. The view out the veranda is so peaceful. The owner(s) were not there and the help did not understand English very well, but that did not stop them from being very helpful...
I asked about the pool and hot tub and was taken via a rock-type stairs (be careful!!) down to the pool area and saw the vacuum in the pool and inquired if I could use, and the escort nodded "yes". It took several tries to get my point across about the cleaning stuff being in the pool, and finally I deduced that because it was still "Winter" the pool must be closed. So, depending on when you go (remember the seasons are opposite to ours here in the US), you may not get the pool! I had business appointments that lasted longer than expected, way after DINNER was scheduled, and when I returned, I thought I would have to starve, because I did not have any snacks. Instead, sitting on top the microwave in my room was a lovely tray with food.
Breakfast was also wonderful. Make sure you take your electrical converter, because one could not be found for me. I had one, but wanted an extra to plug in other electrical devices, and that was not available. I did not have time to take advantage of the spa packages, so I cannot comment on those. However, I did place an inquiry as to how long certain packages would take, and received a prompt reply (they had to call the therapist, and she called back).
So if you are looking for a relaxing place to stay, where you will have to lug your luggage, this is the place!

Room Tip: If you don't want to lug your luggage, see it you can get a room on the entrance floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a very neat guesthouse and lodge. The rooms are relatively well equiuped. Could do with better coffee! Maybe small Nespresso machines? The spa is particularly nice and I enjoyed it.

Pitty at it lacks a personal touch. Greeting and involvement of the owners.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DMSe7en
Gauteng
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We chose to stay at Leaves Lodge as it is one of the selected lodges to stay if you want to play golf at Leopard Creek. Before travelling there I reviewed their web site and was quite excited to stay. This lodge is misrepresented on their website and frankly I have to wonder who in their right mind would give this place a 5 star rating.

The location and the grounds are beautiful. However, when we got to our room it smelled damp and stuffy. The roof was mouldy, the linen had holes, the tiles in the shower were dirty, the toilet roll holder was dirty and the curtains were torn. As we requested and paid for two executive suits only the one room given to us was an executive suite and the other one, which had no private lounge, was mere a standard room. Please note the photos attached which document our complaints. It was enough to understand that although it was a beautiful place, it is in dire need of upgrades and the management had awful standards of customer service. The owner, Thys, showed no professional attitude in his communication to us and was quite ignorant to our complaints. He refused to refund our money.

Based on my personal experience, I would NOT recommend staying at Leaves Lodge.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Bez B
LeavesLodge, Owner at Leaves Lodge & Spa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Leaves Lodge & Spa is the only registered establishment in Nelspruit through which guests may be invited to play golf at Leopard Creek. These guests booked 2 suites at Leaves for a week as they did not have another way of getting in at Leopard Creek than through us. They stayed with Leaves for some time, went to Leopard Creek for golf on our invitation and then wanted to cancel their booking in the middle of their stay. I explained to them that we could not refund them if they cancel their booking in the middle of their stay. This made them very unhappy, giving rise to this review. Leopard Creek has the strictest qualification standards and the fact that Leaves Lodge & Spa is the only establishment in Nelspruit listed with them should say it all. Kindly remove this review?

Thys
Owner
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

We spent a couple of nights at Leaves and loved it. So much in fact, that we bought some friends a gift certificate so they could stay there too!

We were in their Presidential Suite and the room was beautiful. But I have to concur with HK7 - the bedroom and toilet/shower are all open, which didn't bother us, but could be uncomfortable for some people.

The grounds are very impressive. The hotel is surrounded by lush gardens, and intricate walking paths that connect the pool & spa, sun deck, and lead to a small river that you can easily cross and walk up the other side for a great view of the hotel balconies.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful. (I still need to try and recreate the smoked chicken omelette here at home). And when they found out that my boyfriend loved Rooibos tea, they brought him a whole box to take home, for free.

The night we arrived, the owner - Thays - recommend a nearby restaurant, Zest. It was great!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Leaves was a huge dissappointment. Intially we were put into one of the newer rooms which had noot been completed in terms of decor. When it came to showering the drains smelt of sewerage and the water all ran out the shower onto the bathroom floor. When we complained about the room we were moved to another room which didn't have a shower door or curtain. At no stage during our stay did we have a manager apologize for the inconvience and he never followed up as to why we had requested a room change. In our new room we were woken up by noisy neighbours at 2am through the very thin walls. At 5am we were woken again by one of the employees sweeping rather noisly outside our room. Breakfast was not nice at all, in fact neither of us finished our food and the cherry on the top was that they had taken an All Gold bottle (premium tomato sauce) and filled it with a cheap and nasty alternative. The staff were friendly enough but seem to lack managerial guidance. At first glance everything seems great but actually leaves a lot to be desire.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple