Buhala Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
La Kruger Lifestyle Lodge(Marloth Park)
View Hotel
Kruger Boutique Hotel(Marloth Park)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Skukuza Rest Camp(Kruger National Park)
  • Pool
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
Casterbridge Hollow(White River)
View Hotel
All reviewsleopard creekgolf courseplay golfelephant suitethe ownerkruger parkthe riverset menumagical placebalcony roomstunning viewsrooms are largeout of this worldthree nightsamazing locationgame drivessouth africa
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting Buhala Lodge now for something like 12 years . Its situation is as good as it gets , overlooking the Crocodile river with the Kruger Park on the other side . We have on occasion seen more game from the Lodge than actually driving in the Park for a day .Sugar Rhodes the owner and hands-on manager runs the lodge with staff who have largely been with her since it opened. This makes it so pleasant when returning each year . Over the years we have stayed in several other hotels in the area and enjoyed them but we always return to Buhala . All this adds up to the whole ambience being perfect . Above all Sugar who runs it is Buhala. Need I say more Marvellous

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The most wonderful and spectacular veranda you can imagine, the lodge was very personal. Could have staid there for several days, just sitting on the veranda with a good book. Very restful place! Don't miss it!!

Room Tip: This was one of the highlights of our South Africa tour. We regret that we only stayed one night. The most wonderful and spectacular veranda you can imagine, the lodge was very personal. Could have staid there for several days, just sitting on the veranda with a good book. Very rstful place! Don't miss it!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We love Buhala, from the amazing location - Buhala overlooks the beautiful Crocodile River and into the Kruger Park to the delicious food and of course amazing service and staff! We arrived late afternoon, to enjoy the beautiful sunset and drinks of the veranda - definitely a highlight of our trip. Our room was spacious, luxurious and a treat to stay in. A chocolate on our bed at night was certainly the kind of attention to details that we appreciate.
As for the food, what could be better than breakfast on the veranda while watching elephant, buffalo, hippo and crocodile? Dinner was as much of a triumph - we chose to eat at the lodge every night. The three course meals were delicious - the chocolate mousse is not to be missed. Sugar Rhodes, the owner of the lodge, is friendly, knowledgeable and really went out of her way to make us enjoy our stay - booking us spa treatments, safaris and tours of the area. Sugar, along with the rest of the staff, made our stay so memorable. We highly recommend Buhala Game Lodge to any traveller. WE WILL BE BACK!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We arrived at the Buhala lodge excited to start our 3 day stay in the grand elephant suite and we were greeted by a very nice girl that introduced herself and stated that "Sugar the owner was at the golf tournament and that she was in training but we would be staying in one of the rooms instead of the elephant suite which we had paid for". My husband asked to speak to Sugar and the trainee got her on the phone. Sugar advised my husband that it was not a problem that we would be ok in the room and we would be moved to the elephant suite in the morning. No apology no offer of refund of money to the difference in rooms which was about 1000.00 rand a night. My husband asked why we were not in the suite we booked and paid for two months in advance. Sugar said that the occupant in the room just decided to stay another night and it was out of her control. My Husband explained that we would be out all day the next day and we would not be available to move our belongings and Sugar said "not a problem we will just move your things". I asked Sugar if this was the case why did she not just move the other occupants things? Sugar had no response. I advised Sugar that I would not allow her to move our belongings that we were in that room and we would be out all day that she could leave us in that room for the entire stay. As when we booked the elephant suite we were also advised T.V. In that room and when you are in the middle of nowhere it's nice to have some sort of entertainment as when you look at the pictures of the lodge on Internet you see great pictures of animals outside the room which I would suspect are photo shopped as did not see one animal in the 24 hour period we were there. It could possibly be due to the fact that there is a gun club next door and after an hour of gunshots going off in the evening I called the front desk and Sugar informed me of this another bit of info not on the website. The Internet conveniently did not work either. My husband and I went out to get food as even though we bought the meal plan with the room also overrated we were starving and went in search of food but the meal is at a set time and it is whatever they served that night. No choice of menus. We drove around for sometime and found Nandos chicken. Upon arrival back to the lodge Sugar stopped us to inform us that "the type of food we had was not allowed in the room". We went to our room with the food and ate it as there was no advisory that food was not allowed in the rooms. I also stayed in many hotels and B & B's and have never been advised of this. My husband and I chose this lodge as while we were in that area to lay his Father ashes to rest, we thought as we both were golfers we would have a chance to golf at Leopard Creek. This was another reason we chose Buhala as they claim as members of the golf course you will get offer to play the course. We now know that Monday to Friday non-members can play. My Husband and I never got to see the elephant suite as We left disappointed with the threat of Sugar just moving our belongings while we were out as she said "she would just move it if we were not out of the room by 11 am". We vacated the lodge that morning advised we would Sugar was refunding nothing. Please do not waste your hard earned money on this place! South Africa takes pride in it's travel and tourism and up until Buhala our vacation in all the other hotels have been amazing. This lodge in my grading does not even rate a one star. We found a hotel called the Protea Kruger in the same area. Ten times better and nowhere near the amount the Buhala charges.

10  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We only spent one night at the Buhala Game Lodge. The house is very british and beautiful, however, the best days have gone by. Interior is well maintained but old and decorations are completely out of date. The porch is beautiful, with awesome African furnishing and a spectacular view to the Crocodile river. The hosts were very hospitable, they arranged a romantic dinner on the porch. We cannot agree to the food being so superb - we had much better during various stays at other lodges.
Breakfast was very delightful and enjoyable - again on the porch with view to the river. We received binoculars and were able to spot a view animals across the river.
All in all was Buhala a nice place which would certainly benefit from an overhaul. Looking at the price list (we did not see that before because we booked a complete package) I must say that I would not book Buhala under these conditions - sorry to be honest but there are plenty of alternatives who offer more modern und better culinary experiences.

1  Thank babsimaus1