“More like a 3 star” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malelane
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“More like a 3 star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for two nights over Easter.
Location and close proximity to Kruger were fantastic as you were a couple of minutes away from the gate.
Did not try breakfast while there but had dinner twice and there was a good variety to suit most tastes and plenty of food available.
Room was needing upgrading and was certainly not as clean as you would expect. There was a broken tile in the bathroom and the tile grouting was really dirty.
Wifi in the main area was good.
Chocolate on the pillow both nights was a nice treat.
Another couple with us had no hot water until the day they left which was poor and reported to staff but not fixed. The new manager, whom they spoke to was excellent and having only been in the job for 6 weeks will no doubt get on to addressing the maintenance issues as this could be a wonderful place to stay.
Overall we did enjoy our stay and the only other comment would be that the pool water did not look clean. It was quite murky and cloudy with lots if dead bugs and leaves etc. in it. Could do with more frequent cleaning.
Quite expensive for the standard of the rooms.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyMcIsaac
Simon R, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Jenny McIsaac

Thank you for taking the time to highlight the probelms you encountered at Pestana Kruger Lodge. Whilst I am pleased that your dinner experiences were good and that the WiFi met your expectations I am very disappointed that maintenance and cleanliness standards were not what you expected.

As you are aware I have recently taken over as General Manager and have started an ongoing general maintenance programme to address the issues you have outlined. I met with your son on the day of his departure and apologised for water problems they had in their room - this has subsequently been addressed and will be rectified.

The relevant Maintenance and Housekeeping departments have been made aware of your comments and will be making every effort to improve these material standards.

I do hope that you or your family in South Africa will return to our Lodge in the near future; I am sure that you will find that standards will have improved significantly to the level expected of a 4 star Lodge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for week together with our children and their families. We had a wonderfull stay. Extremely friendly staff. Very clean rooms but they could need some maintenance, We had some af the best rooms with view to the river. If possible do not save money not having this view! It was all worth it!!
The food was good and there was plenty of it.
The hotel is located next to the bridge leading to Kruger National Park so it is fast going there.
We can warmly recommend this hotel and envy future guests :-)

Room Tip: As already written try to get one of the rooms with view to the river even if they costs a little bi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Familien_Kokholm
Simon R, General Manager at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback, I have forwarded this to the staff who will be delighted to learn that your stay with us was good.
Your observations regarding maintenance in the rooms is valid, has been noted and will be attended to as part of an ongoing maintenance programme.
Knysna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

This has to be one of the worst places I have stayed in. The management do not care about guests, we are a necessary evil getting in their way.

The food was below average and they staff made no effort to find one a table. The staff at the bar were too busy watching their television program - instead of serving you.

The rooms were average and not very clean, I will never come back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Albert M
Dear Albert M,

Having recently taken over at Pestana Kruger Lodge as General Manager I am extremely disappointed to learn of your poor experience at the lodge.

I will be addresing these poor service standards with the relevant Management and Staff as a matter of urgency and importance. I can assure you that this is not the standard you should expect from a Pestana Hotel/Lodge.

Travelers are raving about these Malelane hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is not my first review for the hotel, however, due to a recent stay I think it is relevant for me to review it again.
To be fair I’ve been going to this hotel since I was 14 (now I’m 23) and I’ve been a guest with my family and also alone. Although I had good memories it is hard to erase the last (2) stays I had there in 2012 and last week (2014). The hotel is definitely worn out, needs maitenance urgently. Don’t get me wrong, the Pestana group is one of my favourites and I definitely enjoy their chain when I’m in Europe and South America (establishments tend to be newer and looked after) but its not the case for the Pestana Kruger and its a shame given that its location and surroundings are definitly worth 5 stars.
The positives are definitely the location, the landscape (views of the river and if u’re lucky enough you can do animal spotting through the balcony), the welcoming staff and I can probably say the spa (good treatments).
The negatives that I encounter in my last say (as you can see from the photos I uploaded) are cleanliness (which was a huge issue for me) and general maintenance. My parents always told me that “ If you are going on a holiday it needs to be better than home” and quite frankly and solely based on my last two experiences I would pass an invite (free) to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Marco B, Gerente at Pestana Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Taking in consideration the expectations of clients on the modern days it is bit disappointing for the client as it is true that the lodge doesn't have plasma TV, fridge in the rooms and all the modern facilities for a hotel in town.

The public areas of the hotel are nit and tidy. However the floor is old. In general I would say is not a modern hotel.
With regards to the package sold being different with the reality there is correspondence going on between the Agent and our Sales office in Johannesburg.

We apologise the inconvenience caused by the way the expectation of the clients weren't meet.

Kind Regards
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at Pestana for 2 nights. The rooms were beautiful. The restaurant had seats overlooking the river and you could see wild animals in the vicinity. It is located very close to the Malelane gate of Kruger park making entry to the park very convenient and fast. The staff was mostly friendly. Dinner is served at the lodge and the food was good for the most part. On our second night there, they apparently ran out of vegetables in their kitchen and the vegetable dish was over at 7.15pm. My mom being a vegetarian had nothing left to eat there. The chef was kind enough to cook a stir fried mushroom, tomato dish for her but the poor management of resources was quite bad. They also lack staff as there were only 3 waiters for over a 100 guests and the service was slow at the buffet. They also ran out of dishes and soup bowls for a while. The AC in my parents' room was leaking water and the flush in my room was leaking continuously. This was brought to their attention but it wasnt resolved. I guess mostly it is due to lack of staff. Apart from this, it was a great experience. The packed breakfast on the day of our day-long safari was terrific as well. I presume they might have more staff and resources during busy seasons.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Benoni, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were 3 couples, the rooms were nice, clean and well positioned, right by the pool. We found that the Europeans that visit, get towels from reception to reserve the sunbeds whilst they go to the Kruger Park for the day, then come back and expect to have "their" sunbeds (reminds me of my trips to Spain many years ago). The hotel should prohibit this, as we, on two occasions removed the towels and stayed around the pool for 2 hours, we swam and sunbathed, to be told that it was their Position on their return from a trip to the Kruger :-(
The aircon in the room was faulty, did not work properly the whole time and left an ugly dirty stain on the wall. The telephone never worked the entire time. The Cocktails were packet R50 a drink and dreadful YUK!!
Apart from that, we had a great time, food good, nice staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Pestana for two nights and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The establishment is neat and clean and we had the best room in the lodge (Lion room 110). Our room was on the perimeter of the lodge and we watched the elephants grazing from our patio (what an experience). My only suggestion for the rooms is to install insect screens on the opening doors and windows, as it would have been nice to sleep with the windows open and hear the bush sounds. The main lodge is very welcoming and the staff were friendly but the restaurant was a bit of disappointment. Overall a good experience and a nice start for a trip into the Kruger National Park!

Room Tip: The Lion Rooms on the perimeter that overlook the crocodile river. The top floors are also best.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toni G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malelane
Rio Vista Lodge
#3 of 31 in Marloth Park
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
#75 of 170 in Kruger National Park

Been to Pestana Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!