“How is 4 star defined lately?”

Pestana Kruger Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malelane
Johannesburg, South Africa
“How is 4 star defined lately?”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were day visitors at Pestana going there for Sunday lunch and a swim for the kids. We decided to not partake in the spa offerings upon our quick scan of the surroundings. We believe we were fortunate to not have stayed longer.
The Good:
-Great location and beautiful views of the Crocodile River from the restaurant deck
-Nice swimming pool where the children spent the afternoon.
-All wines were marked down to R110
The Bad:
-Incredibly shocking service first in the restaurant and then at the pool side sitting by the pool loungers. We had to top up our own glasses and wine glasses not changed over a period of 4 hours.
-Limited food menu and substandard food. Over cooked fish and lamb chops dry and tough as leather even though I had asked for medium prepared.
-We asked to rent swimming towels for the duration of our stay and were told it was not possible because we were not overnight guests.
-The state of lawn around pool was very bad with a lot of thorns and almost impossible to walk on.
-State of pool side furniture in a very bad condition and dirty.

All in all, nothing inspired us to look to Pestana for a future overnight stay and definitely unbecoming of a 4 star establishment.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank TSH010GP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Finnish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We did stay at Pestana Kruger Lodge for 2 nights last December. Coming from Maputo, we had more or less a couple of hours drive and the road is in very good condition.
We strongly recommend this hotel if you are travelling with children, due to its infrastructure and location just next to one of the many doors to Kruger Park. The hotel has a very good and spacious swimming-pool, with a good relax area to enjoy after excursions. The bungalow was very clean and the food extremely good. We strongly recommend the safari excursion with the local guides suggested by the hotel, as they are very reliable and competent. Due to the early hours the safari starts, breakfast is served as a "take away" provided by the hotel and eaten during a break on the way.
The hotel is located at a privileged natural set and did really enjoy our stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2012

After reading trip advisor reviews we were hesitant to book here but the location was great so we decided to give it a try. We normally stay inside the Kruger with Sanparks but this time wanted something a little more up-market without breaking the bank. It was a beautiful lodge with a fantastic location. All of the staff were friendly and helpful...even at 5am when I picked up our breakfast packs (which were delicious by the way) to take to the Kruger! My spa treatment was one of the best treatments I have ever had and I have been to a lot of spas! The food was excellent and our room was lovely. We had a river view room which are the more deluxe rooms, we were very happy with it. We even had a herd of elephant come to our balcony in the middle of the day. They were about 10 feet away as we sat and watched from our room, what an experience! Only negatives were that the bar service was inconsistent around the pool, sometimes wait staff would come to take drink orders and then you wouldn't see them again. Housekeeping was a little of schedule too, instead of coming while everyone was out doing game drives they would come at lunch time when we were ready to nap, or would come and only do half the job and would come back later in the day. They would come to do turn-down at 6:30 just as we arrived back from the park and were getting ready for dinner. If you turned them away they didn't come back. If that was the only negatives then I am ok with that! Definitely planning a return visit!

Room Tip: Deluxe river view is where we stayed and seemed to be the best rooms because they had a view...we ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I would say I'm a frequent guest at pestana hotels, but specially this one, have been there six times now, counting now the years! would say my first time at the hotel was back in 2004. Saying that I frequent the hotel because of the safari is a total lie because I think Its preety much commercial but good considering the value. I did safari's at both sabi sabi and lion sand so anything lower than that for me It's "garbage" but I also have in mind that I could be perceived as a snob but It's reality, for me the safari was only good because of the price.
But the main reasons for me to give such a bad review for my last visit three weeks ago is because of cleanliness and the overall state of my room and the hotel. A renovations is undergoing, a much needed one because everytime I go is always the same thing and being bored at a hotel is something I really hate, knowing that've explored it to the max is frustrating too.
Well back to the visit ... My room appeard clean but beyond my bed I saw amounts of dirt and two dead cockroaches which immediatly put me off completely, my air con was not working propely & the universal adaptor also was not working at my room. So you can imagine I was beyond upset.
Completed the stay survey and the manager contacted me apologizing which was good & I felt understood but still doesn't change my mind of my last stay.
I probably won't be staying there until they complete they're renovation.

• Stayed February 2012
South Africa
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed there over December. The place looks great, has a lot to offer, wonderful views from our room (only luxury rooms has view of river), lots to do, beautiful grounds. A BIG problem for me though, was the bad service and TERRIBLE restaurant. Dinner and breakfast are buffet, but we couldnt eat it! The food is inedible, poor quality, very little to choose from, in fact, we decided to go eat elsewhere. At night, the buffet has no light (I can understand they dont want you to see the food!) so it's very dark, and you do not know what you dish up. Even the dessert were tasteless, dry and terrible. The waiters (no shortage of them) just stand there and chat or walk around aimlessly. Not ONCE did any of them asked us if we wanted drinks, or if everything was ok. They were the worst ever. The aircons is too small for the rooms, hence everybody has problems with their aircons (they came to fix ours, but couldn't get the noise down). Not too bad to stay at, but needs better management, especially in restaurant.

Room Tip: The luxury rooms are spacious and has great views. It is right at the malelane gate, so location is...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Malelane hotels

Guatape, Colombia
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Pestana is greatly located right beside Melalanr gate which someone told us ahead that have most animals hanging out. We were able to get a good right through the internet. The hotel is nice and close to the river where you can see crocs and elephants in the evening or morning. The rooms are very nice. Our first room had a problem on the first night as wr found some droppings in the bathroom. The staff told us they were bat droppings so we changed a room in the lower level. Problem solved.

Breakfast and dinner were very good. Staff were also great and helpful. Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011
South Africa
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Toilet that is leaking the whole bathroom full, telephone that is not working, dirty mugs, broken kettle, old stained bath towels, broken bed lights, extremely expensive room service (the delivery fee, to be specific) lousy service and much more. We had a family suite with private pool - the pool was milky and very uncomfortable- the steps are made for giants! Ants were a pest too. The grass next to the unit is in terrible condition. To be honest, I'd never thought it could be this bad!

Room Tip: Rhino unit design is beautiful, but not maintained at all! Keep the aircon on permanently, otherwise...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malelane
Rio Vista Lodge
#4 of 31 in Marloth Park
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
#72 of 171 in Kruger National Park

Been to Pestana Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!