Umbhaba Lodge
$88
$74
  • Breakfast included
aha Casa do Sol(Hazyview)(Great Value!)
$90
$77
  • Breakfast included
Aan de Vliet(Hazyview)(Great Value!)
$47
$213
Orbitz.com
Sanbonani Resort(Hazyview)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
All reviewskey wordkruger national parkgames roombalcony overlookingrecommend staying herenumbi gateenjoyed my staysafari tourcar washlovely experienceplace is beautifulthe location is perfectrooms are spaciousgame drivesgod's windowpanorama routejoshua
Reviewed September 28, 2011

The grounds are wonderful. The staff was very professional and the rooms are more than one might imagine. The suites are very well equipped and comfortable. While the lighitng was less than "standard", we found that this was the case in most locations so we must accept that the need is for us to change or view of the term "standard". When that is accomplished, the lodge was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hansboomer
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Umbhaba Lodge. We had a lovely room which was large and comfortable. The staff were very friendly (only the ones we met). At night we could see wildebeest, impalas and zebras grazing on the property close to the swimming pool. The lodge is a short drive from the Phabeni gate of Kruger National Park and very close to the Hazyview town.

However, the day before we left we realized that my suitcase number lock had been disabled and my wife and I had a combined total of about USD 700 and about rand 700 stolen from our respective passport bags which were inside the locked suitcase. Both bags were inside my suitcase. On reaching Cape Town the next day I also realized my Hugo Boss jeans was also missing.

I informed the duty manager who seemed very concerned at what happened. But he said he could only report to the general manager next morning. Before I left the next day I spoke to the GM who said he was sorry but could not do anything since we did not use the safe in the room. Is he expecting his guests to stuff their entire belongings in to a safe because he cannot provide a secured room? Moreover, he was hardly apologetic. This incident ruined our stay at the lodge.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank arnab1978
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I stayed at this lodge over a weekend, to relax and take time for myself before continuing my safari in the KNP area. I arrived a little earlier than the normal check-in time, but my room key was already waiting for me at the entrance as well as a welcome letter and drink. After the formalities of check-in, was shown to my room, an African Tribal Suite.

With its high ceiling and a large African portrait hanging on the wall, I was pleasantly surprised by the room. It felt spacious and when the sun shone through the curtains, it felt warm and inviting. The bathroom had a sunken bath, twin showers and dual wash basins. The toilet was separate from bathroom and had a damp/stuffy odour. Ventilation was not the greatest. Bathroom and toilet curtains were old and worn out.The bedroom was neat, with beds already turned down.The bed had mosquito netting, but was rather useless for that purpose. The room safe was found to be locked on arrival and I didn't get it unlocked, but its safer to place valuables in safe, cash especially - as I heard stories of guests items disappearing. The suite had aircon as well as two ceiling fans. The fan in lounge made an incessant noise, not that it was really needed. There was also a mini-bar fridge (not stocked) in lounge, discreetly hidden away.

The suite was situated right next to a service area, where housekeeping was situated. Unfortunately the room was not sound proof, so their conversations could be clearly heard from my suite. I did my best to just filter out the intermittent chatter. Umbhaba Lodge is also popular for wedding receptions, and the weekend of my stay no different. Loud music could be heard late at night, though thankfully by midnight it quieted down. If you plan to stay over weekends, be aware or stay elsewhere.

The Tuskers Restaurant is the place where most meals are served. It could do with better lighting inside. The staff were always friendly, but appeared a little bored. They kept such close watch on the table, that dirty items were quickly removed. Dinner at the restaurant was terrible. The carvery, meat was cooked dry, no sauce could rescue it, the vegetables not properly cooked, hard as raw and to add to the frustration, some family allowed their two small children to run rampant through the restaurant screaming and chasing each other around the dining area. Restaurant management and staff did - NOTHING. Had the food not been so bad, I might have made the effort of confronting the parents myself - but as it stood there was no point. The next evening, I went to Hazyview for dinner. Breakfast was pretty standard, but not quite the same quality as other hotels.

While I probably would not stay here again myself, I still believe its a good lodge. But as far as Tuskers Restaurant goes, they need to up their game in a big way.

Room Tip: Go for rooms away from housekeeping or service rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed here, and had private arrangements to visit Kruger National Park from here. Room was huge, ceiling very high, and room was very, very, dark. Lighting was inadequate. Door to outside didn't lock easily from inside. Food was repetitive and average - we had the sense that some of what was left over from dinner was used, in a different incarnation, for dinner offerings the next night. Also, it seemed that food was not maintained at the (high) temperature at which I think food should be held, in the serving areas. I guess this place should be considered as acceptable at the basic level. Just don't expect everything to be as you would think it should be.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happy2travelnow
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We stayed in Umbhaba Lodge for 3 days/2 nights as part of a safari tour package. The location was great since KNP was nearby. We didn't get a chance to explore the town of Hazyview, but our tourguide was kind enough to take us to town (2km away) so my husband could get a haircut...that was an interesting experience, for sure - nothing like any barbershop you'd find in the US!

The hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. They kept us on schedule with our day and night tours of the Park, which we really appreciated since we were in a group of 11. The grounds on the lodge are well maintained and the trees are just lovely. Our room was huge! The bathroom had a tub and separate shower - with pretty slate-like dark tiles. We had a very nice balcony - with a view to the lower gardens. My only complaint about the room - the ants! All over the place...in the bathroom and the main living area. Also, some mosquitoes and flies managed to creep in the room, but we were well equipped with bug spray, so it wasn't terrible.

The food at the restaurant was very good and the restaurant staff was also very very friendly.

All in all, we had a nice stay and I would probably stay here again (this time, armed with ant bait, just in case!)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple