All reviews buffet dinner kruger national park buffet style tour group big room nice pool public areas two nights left early wi fi comfortable beds short drive panorama route beautiful setting phabeni gate grounds monkeys
Selected filters
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights with my partner as a base while we explored the panorama route. I can honestly say it was a brilliant hotel experience.

After reading some of the less positive reviews, I wasn’t sure whether to book but I decided to go ahead as I had such a good experience at a different Protea hotel a week earlier when I explored the Kruger Park.
In light of this, there are two things I can say: the wifi was excellent, and whilst there was a slight musty smell upon first entering the room, I didn’t notice it after the the first few minutes.

The rooms themselves were very spacious and nicely designed with a newly renovated bathroom. The shower was excellent and the beds were very comfortable. The pillows were big and fluffy - I would’ve preferred something lower and firmer, however I might’ve been able to request this had a thought of it.

The grounds are stunning with a very relaxed and tranquil feeling. I didn’t get a chance to use the pool as we had a lot planned for the weekend, but it certainly looked very appealing with great views of the hills behind it.

The breakfast was great, you had a fairly large buffet selection which also included eggs freshly cooked to your choice.

The hotel staff were all so friendly and helpful, in particular, our breakfast and dinner waiter, Sboniso, was excellent - he went above and beyond for us, and really gave us a warm feeling during our meal.

Note: we stayed in room 2. It is near reception, on the ground floor, with a nice view of trees and greenery from the back terrace area. If you do have trouble with wifi, it might be worth requesting a room in this area as we experienced no problem with the wifi (both speed and connection).

Overall, great hotel experience - I’d definitely come back here again!

Date of stay: June 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2019 via mobile

Gateway 1 stayed at this hotel. Everything was 5 star. The Food & Beverage Manager was fantastic in making sure that everything was in order. The food was delicious and varied. The BBQ night was especially nice. Recommend highly.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2019 via mobile

We stayed here on a one night stop over before entering the KNP. Where the hotel is situated we thought it would be ideal as we are traveling with a little child and wanted to break up the trip.

Firstly let me say that the staff we dealt with from the lady at the entrance gate, the individual behind the desk and the staff at the restaurant were all amazing, friendly and extremely helpful. They are the only reason why this hotel gets two stars from me.

The room we had was a large room that had two double beds. The room had a very poor odor in it, almost like mold which could be seen from the bathroom. The shower wasn’t great as the water collected around your feet and the pressure was nonexistent. The door to the bathroom creaked terribly and the toilet seat was loose. Our aircon didn’t work (they repaired it when we went to dinner - but it was a loose plug connection that sparked which is not wise in a room that’s carpeted). There were spider webs in the corners of the rooms that hadn’t been cleaned in a while. Breakfast was good but not worth the individual price that we saw it advertised at. The WiFi we were told was now working in the rooms and after 30min of trying to get it to work we gave up. If you have a room by the reception be prepared for a 5am or earlier wake up as they seem to fill these with tourists who go to the park and the rooms are not sound proofed so you hear everything as people walk past, I assume the rooms further away are better.

If you have to stay here as a once off I am sure it’s fine but to stay here for longer is not worth the price you pay. There are other better hotels in the area.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank PSchooms
Reviewed May 5, 2019 via mobile

This tourist class hotel is situated in the lush Mpumalanga Lowveld, and is twenty-five minutes from the famous Kruger National Park and a wonderful location if you’re going to Kruger park. I would strongly recommend that you upgrade in this hotel as the standard rooms are not that great. Seems like most of them have terrible lighting and our room smelled moldy so we asked them to upgrade us as I have allergies and was not going to spend two nights there. I felt claustrophobic in that room as well. They did upgrade us and we got a much nicer room with a little patio in front of the room. The location was a little bit further from the main area but we were fine with that. Buffet Dinners were very good and plenty of choices. Make sure you do the stir fry where you decide on what ingredients you want in it and they stir it up for you. Breakfast had plenty of options including an egg bar where you can have your eggs anyway you want them. WiFi was basically non-existent in the room. This was an okay hotel but Nothing fabulous or memorable about it except the distance from Kruger Park. They do have lovely views and a pool that is not heard. Tours go through this hotel so at times they could be packed. Rooms in the number 80’s are pretty nice with a little patio and a lot of privacy.

1  Thank ukienomad
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

This hotel offers good value for money. Room was spacious and the resort well maintained. Maybe a 20 minute or so drive to Kruger.
The internet was useless, didn’t work in the rooms and barely worked in the public areas. If I didn’t have 3g I would have been in drama with work. I also thought the food on offer was average. The dinner was buffet style but I though expensive or what you got. Breakfast I also found average.

Date of stay: April 2019