“Enjoyed our stay !”

Sabie River Bush Lodge
Perth
“Enjoyed our stay !”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The biggest pro is that the lodge is set in such an amazing location and has such close proximity to the Kruger park, It is only a few minutes drive to the Paul Kruger gate and is not too far from Skukuza ,one of the main camps within the Kruger. It was a treat to relax on the viewing deck, cold glass of wine in hand and enjoy the view across the Sabie River straight into the Kruger park. We chose to go on an early morning game drive, the lodge has a few options on offer. It was truly a memorable experience. Our guide Sydney went to great lengths to track down quite a few of the Big 5 for us :) to the delight of some European tourists also on the excursion. The accommodation is neat, clean and comfortable but rather basic.The scatter cushions on the beds create unnecessary clutter and the addition of a low table/extra surface to place things on would greatly improve.We stayed in a rondavel which was a bit cramped but then this is an 'African' experience and as their name says - it is a 'Bush' lodge. The food was simple, tasty ,sufficient but rather ordinary. An irritation for me was that I did NOT get the promised (in the itinerary) early morning 1st cup of coffee on the game drive. Sydney bought himself a takeaway coffee in Skukuza during our stop - guests who had actually paid for the full breakfast included in their tariff had to either get their own takeaway coffee for which there was a mile long queue or be content with a small boxed fruit juice.The breakfast 'picnic' included processed cheese and reconstructed ham sandwiches, unfortunately coffee/hot drink would have been welcomed as it was quite chilly. Luckily just being in the Kruger's magical surroundings helped and the experience as a whole was enjoyable. Overall we enjoyed our stay and definitely hope to return.The staff were helpful and friendly and their service was good. The next time I would love to stay in one of the 'luxury' tents - they look amazing and have a magical outlook. I hope we can arrange it the next time without any hiccups :)

Room Tip: Book well in advance and select to stay in a luxury tent.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gigspi
sabieriverbushlodge, Owner at Sabie River Bush Lodge, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Hi Michael Thank you for the time taken to review our Lodge, we all appreciate reviews as a means to improve the guest experience at Sabie River Bush Lodge. We are pleased that you enjoyed yourselves at our Lodge I am a bit concerned about the early morning coffee issue on your Safari into the Kruger National Park and will be taking this up with the Lodge management.
Thank you for your business and hope to see you and your wife and her family at our Lodge in the near future.
Regards - All the staff at Sabie River Bush Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
Switzerland
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We visited as a family for three nights and found the place to be very nice with a stunning view into Krugerpark. The staff were friendly and helpful, the food was very good and we absolutely enjoyed the time at the lodge. The thatched rondavals are clean, some of them with view to the Krugerpark which I would recommend. There are also Safari tents available and especially the two luxurious tents looked very nice from the outside. We'd go for one of these next time :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DES0967
sabieriverbushlodge, Owner at Sabie River Bush Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi Denise Thank you for your business we really appreciate it. Thank you for the time taken to write a review and thanks for the positive feedback. It is great to see reviews like yours, we make a point of reading all the reviews and use them as a means of inspiring our staff to continue with the good work and service that they deliver to our guests. Thanks once again Dale - Owner
Brentwood, England
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed two nights
The Sabie river frontage is great and you overlook the Kruger park. There are comfortable chairs, tables and sunbeds all laid out on the decking to enable you to laze away the hours waiting for wildlife to appear
Food was OK
Service was excellent and you could sense a real committment to quality and making guests feel special
Tents seemed new and were well appointed and comfortable
The only slight negative is that the lodge is quite near the road and you can hear some traffic at night. Even this has a positive as it means you dont have to transverse miles of rutted gravel road to reach it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the larger tents, not the self catering tents.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davepessex
sabieriverbushlodge, Owner at Sabie River Bush Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hi Dave - Thank you for your business, sometimes in the rush of running a business we forget to tthank our most valuable assets our guests.
We also appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review about our Lodge.
Hope to see you and your travel partner in SA and at Sabie River Bush Lodge again in the near future.
Dale and Jenny
Blenheim, New Zealand
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was my first visit to S.A. and was made all the more memorable by my stay at this Lodge. The setting is so special overlooking the Sabie River watering hole, especailly at night when the animals come down for a drink. I found the staff courteous and obliging, the rooms really comfortable, the food was great also.I would definitely like to return here and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mariska G
Hi Mariska
Thank you for your business we at Sabie River Bush Lodge really appreciate it.
Thank you for also taking the time to review our Lodge, guest reviews are important to all of us at the Lodge as it records what we are doing right and what we need to improve upon.
Hope to see you in SA and at the Lodge soon
Dale and Jenny
Owners
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Our annual trip to Kruger had us stopping here for a few days. I have to say that in most respects it was brilliant. You cannot fault the view of the Sabie River in front of you, the gardens are beautifully kept, the staff is excellent - with the exception of the owner who totally ignored me when he passed me. Everything is spotless, and the 'luxury tents' are very comfortable. More about that later. The Paul Kruger Gate is only 20 km away - make sure you stick to the very odd speed limits set on the road both to the from the lodge and from the lodge to Hazyview. The police are very much in evidence and the speed limits are, in our opinion, set to catch the unwary. Iced tea or coffer and a cold towel was made available on arrival, which is a fantastic touch.
We stayed in the 'luxury tents'. Very mixed feelings here. They are certainly very comfortable. Nice beds, airconditioning. But - only one chair to put your cases on, and nowhere really to put anything, so everything had to go on the floor. There is a little camping shelf type unit, but is stocked with blankets etc and not very strong, so one is always in a bit of a mess, especially when there for 5 nights.
Lighting - two very weak (I understand the long-life lightbulbs are weak) bedside lights. So after dark there is just no way you can see anything else in the tent, including if you are eating outside on the the balcony. There are plenty of lights on in the gardens, but they don't help in your immediate area. A small hurricane lamp or something would be nice to just be able to see what one is doing.
My biggest bugbear - the kitchen and bathroom are not en suite\attached. This is not made clear when booking or on the website, and, if you're like me and make several trips to the bathroom nightly - this is a problem. Having to get up and get dressed every time I need the loo was a pain. Thankfully the rain held up each night and I didn't have to contend with that. In saying this - the ablution block consists of three separate showers - one per tent, so it's not really communal, just separate. They smell brand new and are spotlessly clean, very nicely done with soap and shampoo on tap. The shower room is very tiny - I battled to get in and out of the shower itself, and getting dressed is a challenge.. I am a big lady but it really was tiny. Even my husband battled and he isn't a big boy.
The kitchen was very nicely set out and had everything you could ask for, again, spotless.
The bathroom and kitchen weren't a long way from the tent, but it did annoy me.
The only other issue we had was a top sheet on our bed. The linen is duvets and blankets. We don't feel the cold, so rarely use either. Our beds didn't have top sheets for us to sleep under, so it was duvets or nothing. We eventually took the duvets out of the covers and used those as our 'top sheets'. Not ideal as they are shorter and narrower than normal sheets, so couldn't be tucked in, and kept falling off, or riding up to our knees. The next day we asked the duty manager if we could have top sheets and he assured us it would happen. That night - still no top sheet, but he came around to check, was unhappy when we said it hadn't been done, and assured us it would be done the next day. Well it never happened. After 3 nights we gave up. Kruger had worked it's magic and we were happy bunnies anyway. We had a wonderful arrangement of towels, duvet covers and throws. Not great when you are paying a pretty hefty fee.
We did hear that the other tents just down the way were fully en suite, and we were paying the same amount, so another slight niggle there.
People need to be warned of the separate bathrooms/kitchen. Neighbours arrived on our second day and they were two people in their late 80's who both walked with crutches. How they managed I have no idea. They were there with their son and daughter in law and all were stunned when they discovered that there was so much walking to be done for them. They, like us, had been unprepared. They in fact couldn't get into their kitchen unit because there was no handrail up the 3 steps.
Thank you to Sydney, who came and caught an enormous baboon spider that decided the ladies bathroom was his territory (we were in the African bush after all, these things happen).
To sum up - would I stay here again? In a heart beat, but would make sure my accomodation was en suite. Would I recommend it? In a heart beat, but if the separate rooms are a concern of yours, make sure you get the other tents or go in the Lodge. We had a fantastic few days and were very comfortable, despite our little hiccups. Next time I'd probably go into the lodge itself (couldn't get in when I tried) and take advantage of what I heard was very good food.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is en suite if it's important to you.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mamakudu
sabieriverbushlodge, Owner at Sabie River Bush Lodge, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Hi Mamakudu Thank you for your busienss we at Sabie River Bush Lodge appreciate it. Thank you for taking the time to write review and for the constructive comments regarding the Lodge. I will be taking a number of issues up with the management of the Lodge, as the owner I am concerned whne you walk past the "manager" and he does not great our guests. The issue of the sheets etc will also be addresses. Just a short not on the pricing of the self catering tents and the Luxury Bush Tents down the pathway. The self catering tents are 65% chaper than the luxury river frontage bush tents.
Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and for the many positive comments that you have posted about Sabie River Bush Lodge.
We take all guest comments seriously and view negative comments as a means of improving our guests experience and the Lodge overall.
Dale Shepherd - Owner
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Sabie River Bush Lodge is simply fantastic. It is barely 15 mins from the PaulKruger gate, and you can take your own car, or go for a drive on the game vehicle at the lodge. you wont be sorry - we have done both with good luck. leopard and cheetah on the first right after the kruger gate; and we saw all of the big five on a loop from kruger to skukuza to lowersabie.

The lodge itself is to use a south african word we learned "lekker". very nice, or sweet. finish a game drive and then relax on the deck waiting for even more animals to visit. the wait staff are super friendly, and your drinks will be there before you know it.

We spent several nights here. We had planned for two, and our stay grew and grew! Dinner was different everynight, and really lived up to the billing - good wholesome south african fare - steak, babotie and chicken to name a few. dont miss the soups to start; someone should write a book about these.

Room Tip: try the luxury tents on the river. we moved into one of these and absolutely loved them.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank PaulK_usa
Hi Paul Thank you for your review of Sabie River Bush Lodge. Alos thank you for visiting the Lodge again we notice that you are a repeat guest and we would all like to thank you for your business.
Thank you for the positive feedback and would really like to welcome you and your daughter Kelsey back to Sabie River Bush Lodge in the near future.
Dale
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 22, 2012

If you're looking for a place to stay near Kruger Park, I highly recommend you just book a room at Sabie River Bush Lodge and don't even bother looking anywhere else. I can't comment about the rooms but I stayed in one of the luxury tents and it was absolutely amazing. If you need convincing, here are some reasons to consider staying here:

1. You believe in supporting local communities, and in job and skills development. This is a facility that invests in its workers. Many staff members began as gardeners, and were then trained and promoted into new roles such as waiters. If you spend your money here you'll be directly helping in the empowerment of previously disadvantaged individuals. I didn't know this beforehand, but after chatting with the owner and learning more about the business, I felt great that my money was going to such a worthwhile and inspiring organization.

2. The thought of reliving a Hemingway-type vacation is exciting. If yes, stay in one of the luxury tents. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil the surprise of how awesome these are.

3. You like a good cocktail. In a weekend-long trip, I think my boyfriend and I consumed about 7 "Night on Sabie River" cocktails. They were that good. And it was magical to lay on lounge chairs and to gaze out at the Sabie River and Kruger Park while sipping a delicious beverage.

4. You like good food. Go with the half-board option, because breakfast and dinner are delightful.

5. You'd like to actually see animals in Kruger Park, at a reasonable price. Sabie organizes it's own guided wilderness drives with the remarkable Sydney, who grew up around the park and has guided tours for the past 9 years. While everyone else is driving around wondering where the animals are, Sydney will go off the beaten path and point out everything from birds to eagles to lions sneaking through the bush. By the end of our sunrise tour we had no fewer than 5 cars following us around.

6. You'd like to see 16 elephants walk by 300 meters in front of your tent. Ok, this isn't guaranteed, but the lodge sits right on the edge of the Sabie River, with a huge watering hole right in front. Animals come by. We saw 16 elephants, which was amazing, but our friend who stayed the week before us saw frolicking hippos and a herd of 20-30 bison. Chances are you'll see something amazing too.

7. You like good service. The service at this place is 5 star. There's no more to say about it.

So stop looking already, and just book a room here. Preferably a tent. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica A
Hi Jessica Thank you for your business and for the time to write a review. It was really good to chat to you and JP on the deck during your stay. We really appreciate the time that you have taken to review Sabie River Bush Lodge and look forward to welcoming you and JP to our Lodge in the near future.
Dale
Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazyview
Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate
#4 of 40 in Hazyview
Rissington Inn
Rissington Inn
#1 of 40 in Hazyview

Been to Sabie River Bush Lodge? Share your experiences!