“Wonderful experience!!!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Wonderful experience!!!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Visited the Summerfields River Cafe for dinner and enjoyed a truly memorable experience and an amazing meal.
Summerfields place high importance on personal service and an overall visual and taste experience.
The restaurant is on a wooden deck over-looking the river and makes for an ideal setting.
Although the menu is small, the quality of the food is outstanding and the chef personally comes out from the kitchen to talk to you about your meal.
Well worth the visit, truly memorable!!

Pretoria, South Africa
“Keep up the good work!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Summerfields in June 2013 and I left a review on their retreat page but I have make special mention of the food. We went for dinner and the menu was explained to us by one of the chefs Sean. He told us of the cooking method 'sous vide' cooking which apparently means cooked in a vacuum? I wanted to order the sirloin but I alwaus have it medium, I'm of the age where I grew up not wanting to see blood on my plate. Sean explained that the sirloin is cooked in a vaccum bag in a water bath and that it cooks for a longer time but at a lower temperature. The meat is then cooked through perfectly, melt in your mouth tenderness but keeps a pink colour. I was wary but my husband who is more adventurous when it comes to food, who was having the duck, told me to just try it. What's the harm in trying it? he said.

Well, what can I say..... it was BEAUTIFUL! The best tasting sirloin I have ever had! So tender and tasty. The couple dining next to us sent hers back saying that it was too pink, Sean tried to explain to her why but she wasn't listening. Some people are just miserable!
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I was blown away with this restaurant. The staff are warm and friendly, Sean is informative, and the chef just blew my tast buds away. The website says his name is Andy Robinson, well Andy, thank you! Keep up the good work, we'll see you next month when we bring our friends back with us!

(Have to quickly mention dessert, choclate indulgence served in a little terracotta plant pot! So devine!)

Johannesburg, South Africa
“OUTSTANDING FOOD & WONDERFUL SETTING”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Reaching the "River Café" located within Summerfields from the main car park area involves a walk through a forested area on wooden bridges. The restaurant is set in an elevated area overlooking a river …. Elegant, beautiful and a very romantic setting; perfect for our family’s Fathers Day lunch.
Very small menu with a selection of starters (around R50 each), mains (around R150+ each) and deserts (R50 each). The Risotto with bacon was delicious, and we all opted for Pork Belly with wonderful fresh veggies which was excellent. We and other diners were very intrigued by a chocolate desert served in a little “pot plant container” with a sprig of rocket giving it the appearance of a real “pot plant” ….. this too was delicious. Meal a little on the expensive side, but worth a very memorable visit.
There is luxury tented accommodation and also a Spa area set with in the forested area around the restaurant which looked gorgeous. Would love to come back and spend a night or two here and sample some more delicious food!

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Absolutely, unbelievably, tongue tingling paradise.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I with my in-laws have just had the most incredible experience:
We stopped of for lunch at Summerfields. Charles at the gate, possibly the friendliest face we have seen in Mpumalanga, with his precise directions, to being met by Karen at the gate, and handed over to the chef and Cindy, who treated us like royalty, this was beyond five star service. The Chef’s descriptions of each dish were, perfect. The food was a tongue tingling extravaganza of flavours, we tried every thing, and the smoked salmon mouse with the lemon caviar was exceptional. Tuna Nicoise (you just have to order this) was fantastic and desserts we after tasting each others decided that the poached pineapple with home made ice cream was one of the best desserts we have ever had. The chef (shaun) assisted us, with the wine selection and once again spot on, we all appreciated his little anecdotes about the wines available from the surfing wine maker to the haunted house at one of the estates, even his lemon fish story went down hook line and sinker.
For an awesome food and service experience this place is a MUST.
The only let down was the young lady at the pool bar who was to busy on her cell phone to even greet us.

Nelspruit
“Wonderful food in a gorgeous setting”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Dinner at Summerfields was an experience to remember! It was a very special occasion, and the restaurant more than delivered. The setting itself is already a highlight, but the food was simply out of this world. We both had the poached pear salad to start - a gorgeous combination of pears, blue cheese (yum!), Macadamia nuts and basil pesto - followed by Springbok loin, which was as tender as veal and served with a hearty portion of veggies - perfect for a chilly autumn evening. For dessert (yes, we went ALL the way) I had the poached pineapple with Kulua ice cream and peppercorn syrup - a delicious combination. My husband had Chocolate Dirt - a sinful chocolate dessert served in a terracotta pot which he pronounced excellent and refused to share! Paired wonderfully throughout with wine and a sublime atmosphere - we will be back!

• Visited May 2013