“Stunning Rooms, Spa, Restaurant and service!”

Summerfields Rose Retreat & Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hazyview
Johannesburg
“Stunning Rooms, Spa, Restaurant and service!”
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at Summerfields for a week & I must say I've never experienced better service or more stunning surroundings. The food at the restaurant was exceptional and the spa treatments were sublime. One thing I wouldn't suggest is going there during winter as it can be chilly in the open sided spa treatment rooms!

They provide crocs & dressing gowns & your own locker in the shower/steam rooms. Your bedroom includes a mini bar, ipod like sound system loaded with your music preferences and air con/heating. The bathrooms however are open air so even though no one can see you it can be a bit cold while showering(I ended up showering in the steam room facilities instead).

• Liked — It was luxurious, the spa treatments where awesome, the food was superb and the service was great & friendly
  • Disliked — Not being able to close off the bathrooms - got a bit cold so went and showered at spa sauna facilities. Also was rainy over the time we went to not ideal for open sided spa treatment rooms(not warm enough)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Supernova_Gen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
bangkok
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Go onto Summerfields' website and immediately you want to stay there. The site is attractive, the tented camp experience looks luxurious, the spa tempting and the hotel offers a slew of outdoor activities.

I originally made my booking in early April for the last week in June as in South Africa you must reserve well in advance to guarantee space. In my booking email I asked for 3 tents (for 6 people) as well as a booking for spa and activities. At about 2500 Rand per person (400+USD) you'd imagine they would be happy about the business...

I received an email saying my booking was in order, and that I would receive confirmation shortly.

Fast forward until May, no news. So I called reservations, they said not to worry, I will get an email that same day...Nothing. I called again Mid-May. they said again not to worry but that I should really book Spa and activities myself (I didn't know this wasn't in the capacity of a 5 star establishment)...

End of May I send one last email (this is after 2 phone calls and several emails), saying I am becoming irritated by the lack of response...No reply from reservations.

Fed up, I sent an email to the complaints dept. explaining the case. I received the confirmation of the booking the next day, without an explanation or an apology.

Needless to say, 2 weeks from departure date, I booked my family and myself at Plumbago Guest House where the service was fast and efficient (and reviews on tripadvisor are all positive). I informed Summerfields of my decision and still no reply, but now I guess who cares.

I'm actually not unhappy about the situation as it has allowed me to find a new place that seems fabulous. I'm just having trouble understanding how Summerfields can be recommended by Conde Nast, when you have to beg for such as thing as confirmation and booking of activities and spa treatments?

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family