“A pity as looked like it would be nice”

Summerfields Rose Retreat & Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Hazyview
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The place looks amazing but we expected a great meal and the food just... wasn't. The menu was disappointing as very limited and the food was bland - not worth the price tag. The river café was in a beautiful setting and while we did not stay overnight we thought about it. The spa looked as though it should be nice and the staff we met were friendly - maybe we visited on a bad day ?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lebo S

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This place was amazing and luxurious. The staff are friendly and wonderful, the food delicious, and the environment so relaxing. I had a lovely time here and I was continuously amazed at the small, thoughtful details found around this retreat and spa, ranging from the hot water bottles tucked into our beds at night, to the heated silver milk pourers served with coffee at breakfast. Seriously. This place was amazing. Plus, the spa treatments are all natural and use products like macadamia nut oil and essential oils. Loved it. Very romantic, whether you just need to pamper yourself or you want to share the experience.

Room Tip: ASk to be booked near the river if you wish to sleep to the sound of running water.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I went to Summerfield for a Touch of Nature treatment. It was amazing, using all kinds of unique elements from nature throughout the day, from a coffee scrub to a banana leaf wrap. Priscilla was excellent and the environment peaceful, luxurious and professional.

There are roses everywhere and in every variety and colour,

Thank you for a wonderfully relaxing and pampered day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My Boyfriend booked us in at Summerfields Rose Spa as a surprise for our engagement and CAN MOST DEFINITELY recommend this place for romance, comfort, relaxation, privacy and a awesome bush experience with a touch of class and secrecy.. (I didn't suspect a thing) Very friendly and helpful staff from the 'butler' to the Chef.. Will return soon for another macadamia nut and coffee exfoliation :)) Thank you ALL :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

From the beginning emails between Audrey and I, to our farewell breakfast in the Deli; we were amazed and ecstatic to stay at this gorgeous retreat for one night on our way home to JHB.

My husband and I were warmly greeted at reception (I think her name was Karin) and shown to our luxurious, rose-filled tent. We both had a hot stone massage on the banks of the river, used the steam room and jacuzzi, and ate at their stunning restaurant. The spa therapists are quietly fantastic and the feet washing beforehand is a lovely added treat. Being a fussy eater I was very happy with the delicious menu on offer and our excellent waiter who was friendly and informative. When we returned to our tent after dinner (accompanied by a guard who is there to ensure no harm comes in the way of wildlife!), our romantic bath with champagne and chocolates awaited us.

After an excellent and comfortable sleep in the massive, soft bed, it was a treat to wake up the next morning, make a plunger of filter coffee and read a book on the private deck overlooking the river. Another treat was an open air, very private shower looking at the river with top quality toiletries (most of which I then purchased at the shop to take home with me!)

Our only regret is that we didn't stay here for longer. It is a luxurious and relaxing getaway and we will definitely be back in the future.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

To start off our honeymoon, we went to Summerfields and what a way to begin our new marriage! We were very friendly received from the moment we checked-in till our last day! All the staff members were very professional and they were informed that it was our honeymoon and did extra effort with the accommodation and meals. We stayed there for two nights and what an absolute pleasure it was! We also did the Journey for winter spa package and our therapists, Primrose and Priscilla were extremely friendly and competent. The food at the restaurant was also tasteful and the chef, Sean is so passionate about his work!
We can highly recommend this place as it is so relaxing and exclusive and the perfect romantic getaway for couples!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I just got home from a weekend at Summerfields Retreat and Spa just outside Hazyview. It's a five star resort and it has certainly earned its credentials.

The service was simply the best I've ever experienced. Seriously. Nothing was too much for the staff to do for me. I was greeted by name at the gate, by Charles and welcomed to Summerfields.

The spa treatments...you have to experience it...the spa in right next to the Sabie River. It was so peaceful and serene, I couldn't but fall asleep.

On Saturday night I asked James, the butler to please light a fire just for me in the boma area...and he did...and he kept it going until I was ready to go to bed...and then made sure I reached my accomodation safely.

I was accomodated in a luxury tent facing the river. Everything was done for me and prepared for me in my suite...I felt like a princess! I soaked in a bath on a secluded terrace with rose petals and candle light...I had at least 4 vases of freshly picked roses in my suite!

I'm a very fussy eater. But I was pleasantly surprised by the gourmet menu... Salmon and Fennel Tartare, Lamb Shanks, Pan seared Salmon...there was a pefect balance of textures and tastes...not to mention that all vegetables used are organically grown at Summerfields.

Another pleasant surprise was the "talking menu"! The chef himself and the waiters each night would explain the entire menu to me in detail, answering any questions I had and were willing to accomodate my preferences.

I would recommend Summerfields to anyone anytime and I will certainly be returning there soon.

Aa rare find and a real treat...thank you Summerfields!

Debs Sutherland