“A Texan's take on the Horizon Ranch....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waterberg
Horizon Horseback Adventures Lodge
Burnet, Texas
“A Texan's take on the Horizon Ranch....”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

From the second I was fetched at the airport, to the minute I was delivered to my next destination, Horizon Horseback Adventures Lodge was the destination of a lifetime! Laura, Shane and all the Horizon staff excelled at making me feel welcome and provided awesome trail rides, adventures and gourmet meals. The chef at Horizon matches any Five Star lodge that I have stayed in. The horses are very well fed and groomed and meet the standards of any level of rider. The Lodge and location are outstanding, rivaling most postcard pictures. I just cannot say enough about Horizon....it's location, it's staff and it's managers. The Horizon Ranch is a group of servants who all "go the extra miles"! I had tears in my eyes when I left. It was like I was "leaving home"! A return visit is already on the horizon, and I cannot wait to come back! I must get my horse swim in....Thank you so much Laura, Shane and Staff for making my visit the "trip of a lifetime"! God bless and keep you all!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Absolutely amazing place to blend a love of horses and adventure in Africa. I loved everything about Horizon from the accommodations, food, the staff and owners to the wonderful scenery. Horizon's horses are beautifully cared for and, in turn, take beautiful care of their riders. Loved Hawkeye in particular. I so wish I could have ridden him all the way home to Oregon! I hope I can come back soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Just returned back after my second stay at Horizon and it was still as amazing as I remembered it as. Only this time I took the whole family! Wanted to share this piece of paradise with them.

Yet again Laura, Shane, Kirsty and the whole team ensured that our stay was just perfect. The horses were as wonderful as ever, there was always a horse to meet the range of experience and abilities of my family, nothing was too much. I got plenty of fast rides in, just the way I like it, something I can't often do at home when living in a city. Even my husband, who is quite a novice, loved every minute of it. He rode twice a day most days and fell in love with both the place and the riding. Thanks gang, more riding holidays for me. :-)

Don't think that with all this riding and exercise you are going to lose weight, no chance! The food is awesome, breakfast is brimming, lunch is luxurious, tea is tantalizing and dinner divine.
They even manged to cater for the unusual dietary needs of my daughter, what more can I say.

When not riding there' was nothing nicer than a cooling quick dip in the pool followed by catching a few rays or taking in an afternoon siesta on the swinging tree seat, heaven. Then after an evening ride, sitting on the stoop with like minded people watching the sun go down over the lake, sipping an ice cold G & T waiting for dinner. Who can ask for more?

The accommodation is everything you would want from a ranch in the bush, clean, well maintained with even your plug adapter supplied. Your laundry is done for you on a regular basis which can make all the difference when having to pack all that riding gear. (More room for the swim wear)

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the 'Camp' well more like glamping really. It's amazing and the latest addition of the pool is incredible. I loved it. Only there for one evening but had to try it out. Sat in the pool with a G & T gazing out across the incredible views of the bush. WOW!

Mustn't forget to mention the game rides. The 'hawk eyes' of the guides, along with their knowledge, is second to none. Being on horseback enabled us to get so close to the animals. Even though it was my second time, I was still awestruck by the game. Just can't get enough of them. The giraffes, zebras, hippos, warthogs, I could go on and on. We even saw porcupine. How amazing is that?

So thanks again to the 'gang' for making us feel so welcome and comfortable. The lovely feeling of 'one big happy family' is what makes it the piece of paradise that it is. Don't ever change.

Hope to be back again next year.

Would strongly recommend Horizon to any one who's looking for a friendly and welcoming place to stay, especially if riding at a place where you know the horses are fit, healthy and well cared for is important to you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I absolutely love Horizon! its beautiful setting, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people and outstanding horses are just some of the things that make it so perfect. Its so easy to relax on the stoop in front of the dam, watching the horses cooling in the water or the dogs playing on the lawn. Don't try and diet whilst you're here, the foods just too good to resist! Everyone who works/volunteers/hangs around here will make you feel like part of the family, if you arrive on your own, you'll leave with friends and just being here is like therapy for your soul. Rides out are whatever you want them to be, quiet game viewing rides or hectic polo cross games - I recommend both and they have a beautiful variety of healthy, happy horses to match all abilities. I have to say I miss this place and cant wait to get back, in the mean time, I have some great memories and moments to think back on and I would highly recommend that anyone takes a trip to my happy place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Elst, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I were looking for a basic place to spend about a week to ride horses around the country. Our highest concern was, we wanted to ride horses being well treated.

After spending two nights in a beautiful room well above our normal standards we spent three nights at Camp Davidson. Still it was way too luxurious for us but we had a brilliant time and really enjoyed campfire diner after a good day riding.

The riding is great, the people are friendly and the horses being well treated.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I was desperate to get away from city life, switch off from work and chill out doing what I love - riding horses in the open countryside. From the moment I arrived at Horizon, the welcoming hospitality and fabulous lunch in the garden transformed me to a relaxed state within an hour. It is totally unpretentious and all the staff treat you like you are a member of the family - nothing is formal, everything is possible and you only need to ask … actually, most of the time you don't need to ask as they read your mind and surprise you!! This happened several times and I was left touched and speechless each time - they really do ensure you are as happy as you would wish to be. And more! There were several unexpected treats too which were such a nice touch .. but I won't divulge here!

The food is awesome and you will want for nothing!

The guides are amazing and make each ride interesting, fun and exhilarating - all the time learning new things about the flora and fauna we came across. The current volunteers were all great fun too :-)

The horses are exceptional and were matched perfectly to each rider. All are forward-going, safe, fun to ride, sure-footed and so well loved and looked after. They are relaxed and happy horses who have a wonderful life living out in the open. There are plenty of horses to choose from and because they have 78, no horse is tired or over-worked.

Camp Davidson is enchanting and a real treat - very romantic or a great social hideaway if you have a nice group of people.

I can't rate this place highly enough - it was pure therapy and somewhere I will definitely return to.
Thanks to everyone … it was a very special holiday. x

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Acton, California
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My Africa trip surpassed my expectations! Horizon did EVERYTHING possible to ensure that I was comfortable and pampered while enjoying an adventure of a lifetime. I was very impressed with the horses we rode. They were well trained and exactly suited our riding abilities. We were also well fed. Rhino and David are amazing chefs who presented gourmet food at every meal. The guides (especially Leonie and Mark) were knowledgeable and quick to point out the nature highlights. Save your souvenir money for the leather worker's shop near Horizon. I bought beautiful handmade chaps there for a very reasonable price.

This was the trip of a lifetime that I'll be talking about for years. Thank you Horizon and Jenny. I miss you Krista. Can I come back?

Room Tip: Ask for the room nearest the hippos or the one with the outdoor shower.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Laura993, Manager at Horizon Horseback Adventures Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Hi Thanks for that and no need to ask juts get back here soon, Jenny has a couple more groups lined up already and, Have to say it was quite when the gang all left we miss you too :-)