“My 1st hotel casino experience.”

Peermont Metcourt at Khoroni
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Thohoyandou
Thetford, United Kingdom
“My 1st hotel casino experience.”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip for only one night. I found it to be a pleasant stay for the night. Dinner was a wee bit pricey but I thought it was delicious. The chicken and the beef options offered in the buffet were tender and juicy. I found the casino to be a welcome time killer. I lost about R300~$40 but it was fun. The drinks were reasonably priced too. They don't have electrical adapters to lend out but I was told that you can get them at the shop nearby. Other than that, this suited my needs for 1 night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CraigD81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nelspruit
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Was at Thohoyandou for a wedding and i stayed at Khoroni Hotel for the weekend. It is situated in a very convenient place, there's a shopping center opposite the hotel. We were given a very warm welcome at arrival and the check-in process was quick. The rooms are large and comfortable, neat and clean. The hotel restaurant provided good breakfast and the dinner was great.

Would recommend the hotel for a short visit of a group of friends or so. Especially if you will be away during the day and only come back to sleep. Not an ideal place for families. The place is a bit busy due to the Casino.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank zuluan
Johannesburg
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Finding it difficult to find accommodation in Thohoyandou online, Khoroni turned out to be our only real option when booking and paying online.

It turns out that virtually everyone who's been to this part of the world has stayed here and nobody has liked it. This consensus is largely attributed to the casino that makes this hotel a drawcard for gamblers and the like.

There is no soap in the rooms (I've stayed in simple self-catering accommodation elsewhere that at least provided a simple bar of soap if nothing else). This was a frustrating discovery on our late arrival upon needing to wash off the dust and grime of a long drive that day.

Juice at breakfast was past its sell-by date and when I brought this to the waiters' attention, he merely took the glass away from me. I raised the matter again and eventually I actually had to tell the waiter that he needed to get rid of the juice and not just clear my dishes.

Buffet options are lacking both for supper and breakfast and my tough-as-a-rock portion of lamb was doused in gravy to make it 'tender' and more palatable. The piece of lamb served back to me drowning in gravy simply looked terrible. I sent it away to be discarded after two attempts to rectify the problem - it seemed that overcooked (?stale) food was supposed to be ok to eat.

The pool was dirty and I wouldn't ever be tempted to take a dip in it regardless of the ambient temperature: thanks to the unfortunate position where it sits overlooked by an outdoors sports bar, smoking area as well as casino entrance. Hardly private or, even at the least, restricted for resident use only.

On check-out, reception staff could not figure out how to use my card and made it out to seem like there was something wrong with me and my card - instead of figuring out how it (one of the newer generation chipped cards) worked.

All in all, it was simply a place to sleep in. nothing more - and don't expect more. Truly 3 star if not less, and unless more places in the immediate area upgrade and/or go online in the area, you'll be hard pressed to have better options when travelling to the area from afar.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank urijnaw
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2005

I stayed here in August of 2004, when visiting the University of Venda. I travelled with five other women and we safely stayed in this lovely hotel / casino. The rooms were large with a television, giant king sized bed, ample dresser space and a huge closet that stored three women's luggage (we stayed for 10 days so there was quite a bit of stuff). The bathroom was a private room in the suite with a large tub / shower, toilet and sink. There was a beautiful pool but it was too chilly to swim while we visited. The restaurant was delicious - we had a complementary buffet for breakfast every morning. The buffet was filled with a hot full english breakfast, fish, omelets, local delicacies, and of course cereals, yogurt, etc. The tea service was quite lovely with several choices, including the local Rooibois tea. We ate lunch on our own and usually visited the market next door for dinner (you can pick up some porridge and chicken for like 5-10 rand.) The market also has a very handy bank / atm, grocery store, and restaurants. Several evenings we ate in the hotel's restaurant, but the prices were steep (50-85 rand). The food was wonderful but a little over priced. The staff was very friendly and quite helpful to us during our stay. They even gave us a cot so they third person in the room didn't have to sleep in the king bed (see picture!). The Venda Sun is very well secure and protected with a gate and 24-hour security. The surrounding town is NOT secure at night, we were advised to stay within the confines of the hotel after dark.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thohoyandou
2Ten Hotel
#1 of 1 in Giyani
Plaas Guest House
Plaas Guest House
#8 of 17 in Louis Trichardt

Been to Peermont Metcourt at Khoroni? Share your experiences!