“I'd give it a pass”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Louis Trichardt
Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Louis Trichardt
Toronto, ON, Canada
“I'd give it a pass”
Reviewed October 27, 2007

I have to say I was extremely disappointed in this place.
The things I went there for seemed to be not there, eg the sunset cruise(water is down 40% due to drought), the hippos (locals said they hadn't seen or heard hippos for years), and the myths and legends tour, which I booked, but got taken on the crafts tour, and though I complained, no recompense or new tour booked. The other things are advertised on the lodge site, but are not available and may have not been for quite some time.
All accommodation has thatched roofs, which, I discovered on this trip, is basically just a home for every crawling and slithering thing alive. I had more kinds of insect life inside my room than I saw outside. Four kinds of spiders, some white flying things, things that looked like big ticks, beetles, millipedes and some flying things that sounded like mozzies but didn't look like them. Sheesh!
AS for the food, it was great in concept, but failed in execution due to the SA love for overcooking and salt. And while the salt level in other places was generally too high for any other taste to be left, the salt content here actually brought tears to my eyes.

On the positive side, the staff were pleasant, the birds and flowers around the grounds were gorgeous, and the peace and quiet were soothing. The views were lovely. The owners kindly made an appointment for me with their family doctor as I arrived ill with a respiratory infection. So, not all bad, but not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who was not at home with sharing their space with crawlies, having their bookings mangled and extremely high salt content in the food.

• Liked — Birds and flowers
  • Disliked — The accommodations
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank cybercrone
Girardin, Owner at Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge, responded to this review, June 8, 2009
Dear Cybercrone,
Thank you for you valued feedback....All comments are always welcome and we endeavour to use these to improve our product.....In response to your comments, all we can say is that we are really sorry you were so disappointed...Had you voiced your concerns (to me - as I did meet you...??) we would of done our utmost to rectify the situation whilst you were still at the Lodge....especially with rgds the food - as we pride ourselves on the exceptionally high quality of our food, we were quite surprised to hear that you did not enjoy this at all, especially with rgds the high salt content!! Shiluvari is best suited for the more culturally minded person, who is mobile and is either part of a guided tour or has their own vehicle...I think in this case your expectations as to what exactly we were were a bit misguided...either from our side or yours, either way, we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, maybe one day you'll give us another try and we'll make it up to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Johannesburg
Reviewed March 8, 2006

If you're looking for 5 star, luxury Big5 lodges - then Shiluvari is probably not the place for you. It's a small, intimate, family-run lodge situated on the banks of the Albasini Dam. Although it's fairly close to the Kruger Park, their focus isn't really on the typical African safari thing. Shiluvari is geared more towards peaceful relaxation, bird watching, walking trails and a fantastic local arts and crafts route which takes you into the homes and work places of rural artists, potters, sculptors, etc. We stayed in a cute little thatched cottage with great views (especially from the bathtub!). Lots of spiders, bugs and monkeys - which comes with bush territory, obviously. Great attention to detail...and FANTASTIC food - especially the 3 course supper. Hosts are friendly and helpful and arranged a sundowner cruise on the river where we saw crocodile and a fascinating variety of bird species. Probably not the best place for small children as there's not that much for them to do. There are no TV's or phones in rooms which forced us to relax and just enjoy the sounds of nature and of the owls and bushbabies while we lay in bed at night.

2 Thank Hatpat
#2 of 16 in Louis Trichardt
Misty Mountains
Misty Mountains
#2 of 18 in Louis Trichardt

Been to Shiluvari Lakeside Lodge? Share your experiences!