“It's a park folks, not Disneyland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kruger National Park
Pretoriuskop Restcamp
Bethesda Maryland
“It's a park folks, not Disneyland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Every Kruger rest camp has to be rated two ways
1) Camp Quality
2) wildlife viewing (only reason to go there)

PK gets a 4 for camp quality and a 1 for wildlife. This is our first trip here and the camp was fine but the wildlife was sparse.
ratings below are of the camp not the wildlife
I would note that the Rangers and staff were outstanding!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emeritus24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

As I was informed prior to arrival, I needed to arrive at the park gates before they shut or else I would be charged a fee for an escort to the camp. As per the website, the gates shut at 6pm. I arrived at the gate at 5:45pm and was told that i was not allowed to enter the park as i was too late. I was rudely informed by the man at the gate that I now needed to wait for an escort to get to the camp.

I proceeded to wait in my car, for over an hour for the escort to arrive from a camp that is a mere 10 minutes away. This is after i had spent 5 hours previously in the car. The escort then arrives and takes me and another car to the camp. As I arrive, I am expected to pay the escort fee of R200, despite me arriving at the gates before the 'close time.'
After discussing with reception the unreasonability of me having to pay the escort fee of R200 after waiting at the gate for over an hour despite arriving 15 minutes prior to the gate closing, the lady at the desk decides to call the camp ranger.

The ranger, Evans Mkansi then arrives. Whilst trying to explain the situation, i am rudely and repeatadly interupted by the ranger. The ranger then became aggresive in his manner and proceeded to shout and point his finger at my chest, thereafter repeatadly threatening to escort me out the camp. NEVER as a guest anywhere in the world have I been treated with such disrespect and aggression. The vulgarity of being threatened without even having an oppurtunity to resolve any dispute shows how totally disconnected this establishment is with guest relations.

After paying the R200 in fear of being escorted out the camp and forfeiting my accommodation, the second guest who was escorted in the car behind mine, politely attempts to discuss an issue with the ranger. The ranger, without even listening or processing what the other guest had to say, begins to shout loudly and aggresively at the guest, pointing at him and saying 'YOU MUST PAY, YOU MUST PAY.'

I would firmly urge any guest who reads this review to stay away from the Pretoriuskop Restcamp and rather choose a different camp to enjoy the Kruger.
To start off like this as a welcome to the camp and my getaway is categorically unacceptable.
I will never return to this camp after the manner I was treated.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank TheOupa

Travelers are raving about these Kruger National Park hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We had a self catering bungalow, which exceeded our expectations. The grounds of the restcamp are full of wildlife, and I watched impala graze and baboons and vervet monkeys play from out porch. The birds were really beautiful. We did an early morning walk with the rangers, which was well worth the money. Tracking rhino on foot is a pretty amazing experience, and coming close to the giants in the wild was one of the highlights of our holiday in Africa. When we arrived, the computer check in system at reception was playing up and we had to wait in a queue for about 40 minutes. We weren't given any information about the camp services. Luckily I knew to ask about the walking safari because it certainly wasn't promoted by the staff. They didn't seem interested in interesting wildlife sitings either, they just waved us away and said "write it in the book." Despite this, I would definitely recommend a stay at Pretoriuskop, and a walk with the rhinos.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The location close by the Numbi gate makes Pretoriuskop a good place to start if you're travelling from Johannesburg. We had a hut with toilet/shower but shared kitchen facilities. The huts themselves and their balconies are very nice. However, the braai is not really usable for foreign tourists as none of the necessary utensils and dishes are provided, In fact, the only thing we had in our hut were two glasses. There weren't even any mugs or tea glasses, so you need to buy those and carry them around if you want to make tea. The shared kitchen facility seems to have lamps, but they are never on so it is quite dark.

We loved the fact that, at day-time, this camp is full of vervet monkeys and common duikers.

The shop is quite small, also compared to the one in Satara. Both the menu and the service in the restaurant were far inferior to the one at Addo Elephant National Park main gate. After this, we did not feel like trying other restaurants in Kruger anymore.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evdk
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a smaller camp, and doesn't have the services of some of the larger camps. At the same time, they do have a nice selection of food, decent lodging, a gas station, and a swimming pool. The pool is way at the back of the property and it's surrounded by an impala fence (no droppings in the pool or picnic area) and picnic tables. A great place to relax after a long drive!

Pretoriuskop is also really close to the Numbi gate, so it's convenient to the Nelspruit airport and the main route to Johannesburg.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Den Bosch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

This camp needs updating and maitenance. We didn't have a toilet in our rondavel, so we cant say anything about that. The rondavel was clean but it has no outside lighting. That makes an evening BBQ a challenge in winter. We did one nightdrive and that was a total flop. We just drove around with a very passiver driver who left all the spotting up to ourselves.
For me, there is not much more to be said about this park. We got what we expected, accept for the nightdrive....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MartinNL
Franschhoek, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I visit Krugerpark often, but decided a few years ago to stay in one of the lodges outside Krugerpark. This time we decided to try Protoriuskop again, only because we could stay in the new and most expensive huts. Terrible to see that after 2 years the rooms are not on the standard like it was when they were new. How is it possible that these huts are in such bad condition after 2 years? And I won't even speak about the restaurant and the bad service at reception... Anyway, we like to visit the park, but next time we will stay outside again. Shame on you National Parks, you're accommodation is expensive, keep the standard up!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sabie River Bush Lodge
Sabie River Bush Lodge
#3 of 40 in Hazyview
Tented Adventures Pretoriuskop Rest Camp
Tented Adventures Pretoriuskop R...
#133 of 171 in Kruger National Park

Been to Pretoriuskop Restcamp? Share your experiences!