“Lukimbi is paradise found!”

Lukimbi Safari Lodge
Washington, DC
“Lukimbi is paradise found!”
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Our visit to Lukimbi was the highlight of a trip of a lifetime! We were dazzled at every turn-- and everyone on the staff treated us like royalty. Lukimbi for us was paradise found!Dylan and Stranger were the safari dream team! Dylan's scientific background and communication skills added true depth of knowledge to the amazing bush experience. And Stranger's boots-on-the-ground expertise-- finding every animal imaginable-- made it all real. Not only is each one exceptional, but their team dynamic-- how they work together-- created a positive atmosphere that maximized our learning and our fun! Yes, we saw four of the "big five", but so much more-- giraffes, zebras, owls, chameleons, kudu, gorgeous migratory birds, we even came face-to-face with nursing lion cubs. The warm smiles of the staff made us feel more like family than hotel guests, and when we think of Lukimbi, we will always be reminded of their extraordinary kindness. The accommodations were beautiful and comfortable-- love that oval granite bathtub and the outdoor shower! Felt like a queen in the canopy bed with mosquito netting! When our 10-year old saw monkeys from the bathroom window, he really thought he had died and gone to heaven! And the food...I don't think we've ever eaten so well, and certainly not in such a fabulous setting! The staff created a special setting for us at each meal, including dinner on the terrace over the game reserve, surrounded by oil lamps and the roar of lions!!! We loved the local menu-- exotic fruits, just-picked veggies, and especially the game and fish. Who knew that we would be eating eland, and that it would immediately become our favorite meat (more tender than fillet mignon)! We are all so eager to return!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed March 28, 2009

When arriving at Lukimbi you immediately sense you are in God’s paradise. This 5 star hotel is located in heaven. Often when seeing pictures and reviews on the internet and hotel web sites when booking a resort and then actually seeing and experiencing the resort, you are often disappointed. At Lukimbi it was definitely different.

What was the most surprising was the fantastic food that they served. A bush experience does not often come with good food.

I will definitely be back there again.

Reviewed March 20, 2009

On the long drive up to the Kruger I was a tad wary of the 5 star promise. My last safari experience in Limpopo had promised 5 star and was anything but. What absolute relief when I took my first stroll through Lukimbi's wooded cabins and walkways which blend respectfully into the surrounding bush and thankfully sans the safari kitsch decor some South Africans appear to have a predeliction for. There is no doubt that this lodge well deserves their rating.

The food was the big surprise of the trip. There are schools of lodges which believe in focussing on the game and tend to serve school cafeteria fare piled high in all you can eat buffets. Lukimbi's food was exquisite. I had probably the best dessert of my adult life there, it's the chocolate tirramisu and is reason enough to visit Lukimbi.

The bush fulfilled all the cliched decsriptions you get in the brochures, beautiful, untouched and teeming with animals. The elephant family sightings were really special with babies frolicking and splashing about whilst the herd matriarch kept a watchful eye.

The staff were incredibly attentive, almost embarassingly so. I felt transported to a place of total calm and left Lukimbi wistfully wishing for just a few more days.

1 Thank TashJohannesburg
Northcliff, Gauteng
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I recently went on a trip with a number of my friends to Lukimbi Lodge. I do not condider myself a lover of nature or the bush, however I found the Lodge provided fabulous food, awesome service and luxurious rooms. The highlight of the trip for me was taking a bush walk through the Kruger and sneeking up on white Rhinos. Although scary, this is an experience I will never forget. Over and above the bush walks, the games drives provided an opportunity to view a whole lot more game than if I had driven through the Kruger National Park by myself. I am now a converted bush baby! This trip definately recharged my city life batteries!!!!!!

Reviewed March 16, 2009

I recently stayed at Lukimbi for a long weekend and it was a truly wonderful time in the South African bushveld. The staff from room cleaners to reception to the kitchen staff and chef to the rangers and trackers were all fantastic. The setting is equisite and one's every need is pandered too, even those looking for a rare sighting of a serval!

High recommended, I'll definitely be back.
Gary

Reviewed March 16, 2009

This incredible setting provides the perfect venue to view game and relax. The game rangers were very knowledgable and we saw most of the big five very close up. The meals were very good and provided by very friendly staff. This is a great place to stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Lukimbi provides the perfect setting for a relaxing bush holiday and, although we were only there for a week-end, we came home refreshed and reinvigorated!

The rooms are stunning with views over the river and the park beyond. As the camp is unfenced, it is possible to watch the animals coming to drink while you sit in the bath or enjoy the outdoor shower. The same is true of the inviting pool which gives welcomed relief after a game drive/ walk on a hot summer’s day.

The rangers, too, are amazing. We visited the park during one of the greenest times of the year and the dense bush made animal spotting difficult. However, the vast knowledge of the rangers and trackers turned every game drive and walk into an experience - we learned about some of the smaller animals and birds in the area, the traditional uses of the various medicinal plants, the meaning of the tracks and signs left behind by the animals, etc.

There are ample opportunities for game viewing with morning and evening game drives and guided bush walks. During our time there we experienced some of the best encounters with elephants I have ever had and, except for the leopard, managed to see all of the big 5.

I would love to return to Lukimbi and would definitely recommend to all of my friends.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple