“Be warned, you may not want to leave.”

Lukimbi Safari Lodge
Reviewed March 20, 2009

On the long drive up to the Kruger I was a tad wary of the 5 star promise. My last safari experience in Limpopo had promised 5 star and was anything but. What absolute relief when I took my first stroll through Lukimbi's wooded cabins and walkways which blend respectfully into the surrounding bush and thankfully sans the safari kitsch decor some South Africans appear to have a predeliction for. There is no doubt that this lodge well deserves their rating.

The food was the big surprise of the trip. There are schools of lodges which believe in focussing on the game and tend to serve school cafeteria fare piled high in all you can eat buffets. Lukimbi's food was exquisite. I had probably the best dessert of my adult life there, it's the chocolate tirramisu and is reason enough to visit Lukimbi.

The bush fulfilled all the cliched decsriptions you get in the brochures, beautiful, untouched and teeming with animals. The elephant family sightings were really special with babies frolicking and splashing about whilst the herd matriarch kept a watchful eye.

The staff were incredibly attentive, almost embarassingly so. I felt transported to a place of total calm and left Lukimbi wistfully wishing for just a few more days.

1  Thank TashJohannesburg

Reviewed March 19, 2009

I recently went on a trip with a number of my friends to Lukimbi Lodge. I do not condider myself a lover of nature or the bush, however I found the Lodge provided fabulous food, awesome service and luxurious rooms. The highlight of the trip for me was taking a bush walk through the Kruger and sneeking up on white Rhinos. Although scary, this is an experience I will never forget. Over and above the bush walks, the games drives provided an opportunity to view a whole lot more game than if I had driven through the Kruger National Park by myself. I am now a converted bush baby! This trip definately recharged my city life batteries!!!!!!

Reviewed March 16, 2009

I recently stayed at Lukimbi for a long weekend and it was a truly wonderful time in the South African bushveld. The staff from room cleaners to reception to the kitchen staff and chef to the rangers and trackers were all fantastic. The setting is equisite and one's every need is pandered too, even those looking for a rare sighting of a serval!

High recommended, I'll definitely be back.
Gary

Reviewed March 16, 2009

This incredible setting provides the perfect venue to view game and relax. The game rangers were very knowledgable and we saw most of the big five very close up. The meals were very good and provided by very friendly staff. This is a great place to stay.

Reviewed March 16, 2009

Lukimbi provides the perfect setting for a relaxing bush holiday and, although we were only there for a week-end, we came home refreshed and reinvigorated!

The rooms are stunning with views over the river and the park beyond. As the camp is unfenced, it is possible to watch the animals coming to drink while you sit in the bath or enjoy the outdoor shower. The same is true of the inviting pool which gives welcomed relief after a game drive/ walk on a hot summer’s day.

The rangers, too, are amazing. We visited the park during one of the greenest times of the year and the dense bush made animal spotting difficult. However, the vast knowledge of the rangers and trackers turned every game drive and walk into an experience - we learned about some of the smaller animals and birds in the area, the traditional uses of the various medicinal plants, the meaning of the tracks and signs left behind by the animals, etc.

There are ample opportunities for game viewing with morning and evening game drives and guided bush walks. During our time there we experienced some of the best encounters with elephants I have ever had and, except for the leopard, managed to see all of the big 5.

I would love to return to Lukimbi and would definitely recommend to all of my friends.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2009

My husband and I visited Lukimbi Safari Lodge and had an absolute fabulous time! The game drives were wonderful with the rangers and trackers imparting their immense knowledge on the inhabitants of the Kruger National Park as they tracked lions and pointed out animals. The sundowners in the bush were magnificent and very well organised. Our highlight was walking through the bush with two extremely experienced rangers - seeing animals on foot is a very humbling experience. The accommodation was luxurious, the food delicious and the staff were friendly, helpful and very efficient. Thank you Lukimbi for an experience we will never forget.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2008

My parents and I had a fantastic stay at Lukimbi....a true paradise tucked away in a lovely concession of Kruger.

To summarise my review in a few words I would say that - the property is absolutely lovely, the individual lodges beautifully maintained, the staff superb, the chef should be given a Michelin Star and the rangers and trackers are possibly the most diligent, experienced and super informative individuals you would come across....and most importantly - they make you feel safe!!

We were lucky enough to see the Big 5 about 3 times...which is pretty amazing and all thanks to our wonderful tracker and rangers. Our ranger Richard and tracker Reul deserve particular mention. They were very helpful and full of information on the wildlife and extremely patient. On our second day, they managed to track 6 lionesses with 6 suckling cubs - the experience was mind blowing and the best thing was that Richard and Reul were patient enough to let us spend about an hour with them. Thanks Richard and Reul for some super memories.

We would also like to mention Dillon who took us on one drive - he too was excellent and we managed to see the big 5 (including 2 roaring lions and a leopard that walked across the path) thanks to Dillon's experience and patience.

We also learnt that other game lodges (or those in the same concession) send out about 15 jeeps at a time so although it is easier to know the location of a particular animal (each jeep communicates by radio with the other), one is not able to spend too much time at the particular sighting in order to give way for the next vehicle. Lukimbi is the only lodge in its concession so we hardly ever heard the crackle of the radio and actually spent quality time observing the particular animal.

The staff at Lukimbi were super nice. In particular we would like to mention Jane (who was a pleasure to greet every morning) and Sam (who always assisted us to our rooms at night with his torch). The food was super and the chef extremely accommodating. The chef organised a baraai for us even though there was only one other family occupying the lodge. We really appreciated this gesture.

I felt December was a great time to visit Kruger as it is the season of babies - so it was lovely to see impala fawns, lion cubs, hyena cubs, a 2 week old elephant baby etc....The weather was pretty hot in the day and cool at night. Although some people mentioned that winter is usually the best time to visit Kruger particularly for sightings, we were more than satisfied with all our sightings - giraffes, elephants (including some male elephants on heat), zebras, impalas, water bucks, lions, lionesses, hyenas, rhinos, leopard, African Buffalos (sometimes in a herd of 200), a puff adder etc.....

To sum up this review, we would definitely recommend Lukimbi to anyone who would like to have a great holiday and safari experience in the wilderness and we cant wait to return to Kruger and Lukimbi.

Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SherinaPetit