All reviewstingaplunge poolsabie rivergame drivestauck tourhuge bathroomrooms are amazingmini barabsolute luxuryskukuza airportout of this worldour honeymoonoff roadonce in a lifetimeherd of elephantsmemorable staysafari experience
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We just returned from Tinga Game Lodge and loved every minute of it. It was a wonderful experience from the warm welcome to meals and the game drives. William was our ranger and Armon our tracker they made the best team. Armon could spot an animal hundreds of yards away. We saw the big five plus 3 black rhinos and a black mambo snake which I gues is pretty rare. The rooms were spectacular and serene. I would not hesitate to go back and I am already missing those evening sundowners!!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DrDEbDDS1964
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed at the Narina Lodge, right on the banks of the Sabie River. Incredibly private and peaceful. Beautiful rooms and wonderful welcome. Really felt as though we had the whole place to ourselves. Spotted 2 of the big 5 within 5 minutes of arriving from our balcony - before unpacking even. The 2 game drives each day were a wonderful experience made better by the fab guides. The evenings were cool, but still made use of the plunge pool. Incredible experiance with a Rhino that came up to investigate. Food was fine, and interaction with other guests is your choice, but we were lucky and made new friendships. Had lunch at Legends, but Narina more my style. Most of the included photos taken from our room!! Now saving hard to return to this truely wonderful and well run lodge.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Addled_in_Ades
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Short and sweet - stay there.
The lodge is absolutely breathtaking. It's smack bank on the Sabie River. The 9 lodges are all sensational. The main lodge is so well laid out and planned. Sunsets are spectacular with a drink on the deck watching baboons bed down for the night.
The food and service are excellent. Meg, our game ranger really knows her stuff.
The superlatives do not stop for Tinga.
We'd go back in a heartbeat and boy are we hard to please

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I have been meaning to post a review for some time now. We stayed at Legends Lodge, Tinga for the last 4 nights of our honeymoon in November 2006. The location of the lodge was beautiful, our room was perfect. Wonderful private deck with dipping pool, luxurious bed and bathroom. The perfect honeymoon setting. We were looking forward to our next four days of safari!!

Our ranger Derek was brilliant, we learnt so much about the Kruger Park and its animals from him. We viewed the Big 5, his tracking skills lead us to the best lion watching experiences one could ever hope for. Our ranger understood that we were there to experience the animals of the Kruger, it wasn’t simply about staying at the nice hotel. Derek even took us away from the regular drives we would do and took us further north within the Kruger to see different terrain and obviously different animals. Fortunately on a few of the drives it was just my husband & I along with Derek, therefore he was able to adapt the drive to our interests. He was happy that we wanted to do more then simply tick the Big Five off our list.

There were a few incidents however that we found quite shocking considering this is a luxury resort where top dollar is paid. All the rooms are sold as being completely private, so much so that you don’t have any blinds on the bathroom window. One afternoon after a dip in the pool, I decided to take a shower, a few moments into my shower two Tinga male staff walked passed our bathroom window. Fortunately I don’t believe they actually looked into the window. They were attending to a broken fence and hadn’t bothered to check whether any were guests staying in the room beforehand. Obviously we complained to Manager and they kindly offered as a bottle of Sparkling Wine in addition to their apology. Normally I would consider this generous offer, however this wine was inclusive of the rate we paid. I found this gesture rather insulting. Additionally my confidence that our rooms were private had just been shattered.

Each morning guests would receive a wake up call for the early morning game drive. One morning we never received this, fortunately we had woken to notice that our drive would be leaving in 10 minutes. Again not acceptable service.

I am vegetarian, as this was a small resort I informed Tinga a few weeks before we arrived of my dietary requirements which they had no issue with. Each time we dinned we had to remind the staff that I don’t eat meat. Considering there were only about 10 guests staying at the time this was quite boring having to explain this with each meal. One day before going to lunch we were speaking to one of the waiters and a lady came and introduced herself as the managers daughter and the chef for the afternoon. Again I informed her that I was vegetarian, she made us both a vegetarian pasta dish. It was one of the blandest meals we had ever tasted. Simply not the standard of food one would expect from a 5 star hotel. When I mentioned this to the chef, she didn’t even have the courtesy to cook me another meal. I must add the waiters appeared quite embarrassed by her response. There is nowhere else to go and eat!! Again, bearing in mind the price you pay to stay this is completely unacceptable. Again I politely brought this to the management’s attention, they didn’t seem at all interested that I had no lunch.

This is one of those situations where you feel like you just come across as being whinging guests.

As one other person who reviewed this hotel pointed out the staff uniforms were very dirty To be honest I am not sure if this is the staff issue or an issue that Tinga didn’t provide the staff with enough uniforms or proper facilities to wash their clothes. I have heard that the staff quarters in these luxury resorts are usually very low standard.

We used the SPA each day, the staff were incredibly friendly and the massages were wonderful. I would recommend you take a massage on your “private” veranda with the natural sounds of the bush.

Overall we still had a wonderful time. As to whether I would go back to Tinga, I doubt it. Not because the above happened, I can get over that. The reason I wouldn’t go back is because I felt that Tinga didn’t care that our experience was not had been sold to us.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Christine037
Reviewed January 16, 2008

My heart ached when we had to leave Tinga. We had such a wonderful stay.

Food: AMAZING. We stayed in the Narina lodge and Derek's cooking was absolutely fantastic. Everything was delicious.

Staff: I absolutely adore everyone I met while staying at Tinga.

Location: I have not stayed in Kruger before this but I can't imagine topping the location. You could potentially see the big five from your private hot tub.

Lodge: How do I describe our room without gushing? It was simply fantastic. Huge double shower inside; large outdoor shower; large, inviting bath tub right next to an enormous picture window over the Sabie River; huge, comfortable bed; warm, cozy sitting area; gorgeous furniture... I could go on and on.

Drives: We had a lot of rain while we were there but our game drives were still excellent.

I will dream about Tinga.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple