“Simply Brilliant”

Jock Safari Lodge
Northampton, England
“Simply Brilliant”
Reviewed October 19, 2006

We stayed at Jocks for 3 nights as part of our Honeymoon. I can't express how fantastic it was.

Jocks Safari Lodge is a situated within Kruger National Park and is a private concession. This is really important because it means that within the concession, the safari's can go off the main tarmac roads and can operate after the park closes and before it opens providing their jeeps stay within their area. If you base yourself outside of the park, you would miss a huge element of a safari due to the restrictions of public access.

Everything was included within the cost of our stay i.e food, mini bar, water, drinks (alcholic also). Only the spa treatments are additional cost and they are reasonabley priced.

Jocks use Land Rovers with three rows of seats. They are covered to protect from the sun but have open fronts and open sides which offer an equally great view for everyone. They also don't overload them with people, we only saw them with a maximum of 2 people in each row and you stay with your ranger and those people for the entirety of your stay which is excellent. Some of the tour operators we saw loaded people into vans/lorries with loads of people in. Don't go down this route!

The Lodge is only 12 or so rooms with bar, restaurant/terrace area. Its gorgeous and we saw Rhino even while we were at the Lodge.

The safari's are at 5.30am and 4.30pm. The rest of the day is for sleep, spa or just lounging in the plunge pool watching the wild world in front of you. Despite the early starts, it is so worth the experience.

For people into their photography, bring the following if you can:

a) a monopod - invaluable for the early mornings and dusk moments
b) if you have an SLR camera, bring a decent flashgun. I didn't bring one and regretted it bigtime, particularly on the night drives - you are allowed to use them.
c) the biggest zoom lens or telephoto lens you can get your hands on

It is a photographers paradise.

We were lucky enough to see all of the big 5 on our visit + cheetahs, hyenas, Kudos, Chameleons and snakes.

The lodge is very social and everybody (staff and guests) are enthused with excitement for the place. Our ranger was Dumi who joined us for each meal and told some fascinating stories of his experience with the Bush. They even stop the vehicle after dark for a few glasses of wine or whatever you fancy and some snacks.

Our last evening safari was spent on a dried out riverbed with 16 elephants wondering around.

A few photos are attached.

• Liked — All inclusive, out in the wild, excellent rangers and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book this place, but not to much otherwise I'll never be able to go back!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
20 Thank Celeryisverystringy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Jock Lodge is a Perfect setting for any type of Holiday. We were lucky enough to celebrate our Honeymoon here.

The lodge is outstanding, the room is beautifully decorated and the look completements the natural aspect of South Africa. The vast private outdoor space you also recieve is a very nice bonus.

The Plunge pool is perfect after getting hot on the game drives. Our room was located right at the edge of the property which gave us stunning views over the river bed where we often saw Impala's, Giraffee's and Kudo's whilst relaxing in the pool or on the boma with a glass of wine.

Our guide Edgar was a great laugh and very knowledgable on the wildlife and more importantly where to find it. We really enjoyed dining with our guide and fellow Truck Buddies.

The staff and the food here are off the scale and the South African Wines at dinner where a perfect complement to the outstanding cusine.

You will not be dissapointed if you choose this Safari Lodge, it will far exceed your expectations.

Stayed September 2006
8 Thank starfinder
London
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We spent three nights at Jock Safari during our honeymoon in August and we couldn't have enjoyed it any more. Everything about this place was wonderful, the staff are so friendly and go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. Our ranger, Rogers who was with us for all of our game drives and meals was a great character who knew so much about the animals in the park. He gave us so much information and knew all the best places to spot the animals.

Be prepared to put on a few pounds when y ou stay here. You are never more than a couple of hours from eating and drinking and the food is really good quality, dinner is served either in the small restaurant or outside by firelight. Everything is so well organised that the time just passes by so quickly. The suites are also really well presented and very comfortable. We could easily have stayed there another month!!!

13 Thank JosieH
Fredericktown, Ohio
Reviewed May 27, 2006

Just returned Friday from SA. I began my trip with 3 days stay at Jocks Safari Lodge. I wanted to stay at a lodge inside the park for the morning and evening safari drives. Outside lodges cannot enter until the park opens. The lodge was smaller, allowing for meeting new people and no noise other than a roar of a lion and all the beautiful birds singing in the early morning. As people were coming in and going out it was a great experince to meet people from all over the world.

Each room has a canopy bed encased with a mosquito net that is drawn in the evening, a small living room, an old fashion tub with candles for relaxing and a wading pool with a deck over looking a river. The nightly price is all inclusive making it a great value. Meals are served three times a day and was gourmet. I must have gained 8 pounds. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style on a large deck over-looking the river, where one afternoon I saw a Water Buffalo grazing. Dinner was served within different areas of the restaurant from outside to inside, plated and buffet style. Wine is served with every dinner.

Our Rangers were introduced the first day and we stayed with the same Ranger throughout the trip, he joined us for dinner and drinks with our group as did the other two Rangers with their group. This allowed us to meet the others that would be with you the rest of the time throught out drives and to ask our Ranger questions about the park. Lazarus was our Ranger, he was great, he has been at the lodge since 2002, he was very knowledgable and was a tracker before becoming a Ranger, this was a benefit because he could identify what animals we were apporaching before we acutally saw them.

There were two drives a day, early morning and mid-afternoon. My first morning drive I must of had too much coffee (remember this) and needed to stop, Lazarus allowed me to step off the jeep, of course after checking the bush for Warthogs who like to hide in the bush along the road, before I could relieve myself, gun in tote to make sure I was safe. Thank you Lazarus!

During the day after your morning drive, you can take a moment at the spa, read a book off of your private deck or take a nap and relax until lunch at 1. Each evening drive we would stop and get out of the jeep for a snack break. This would include drink of your choice, I recommend the SA wine.

During my drives just to name a few animals, we saw 3 Black Rinos which we were told there are only 100 within the park and very rare to see. One early morning drive we came up to four White Rinos, where one large one was crossing right in front of us. The evening drives were spectacular, with the milky way and thousands of stars seemingly in arms reach. Must say I almost saw all the Big 5, missing in action was the leopard, but I did hear the group the next morning did finally see them.

I took the nature walk offered at the lodge with my Ranger Lazarus and another Ranger through the low river (winter) up to a group of boulders. As we walked the Ranger explained the wild life and vegetation. Once we arrived to the boulders, we saw rock art and pottery from years past. Please note, don't taste the vegatation, some are lethal! I almost wasn't warned in time. Just curious, what can I say.

On my last evening ride we saw 30 Elephants with their young all crossing the road in front of us, a herd of Water Buffalo about 20, 12 Lions, to include 8 female and 4 cubs, and then within a half mile up the road another 7 Lions. The 12 Lions laid right in front of us as we watched in wonder for 20 minutes. As we passed, all of them would walk along side the jeep one foot away.

Needless to say, between the lodge, all the gracious employees and our speical guide Lazarus, I had a great time. I traveled to SA alone. Many were suprised that a woman would make the trip alone from the US. I always felt safe and will be planning another trip to this beautiful country in 2008.

If you are looking for a bit of luxury, somewhere you don't trip over other travelers and want to truly experience South Africa, I recommend Jocks Safari Lodge. But please remember to tip your guide before you leave. Contact me if you have any questions, I did another week experience JoBurg and Cape Town.

• Stayed May 2006