1,300 results
All reviewscattle baronriverside bungalowrest campthe riverpost officeoutlook safarislower sabiegas stationself cateringmain restaurantgreat restgame drivesguest houseoutdoor kitchenpaul kruger gateself drivesouthern part
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Skukuza restcamp is about 15 minutes from the Kruger Park main gate, and the action starts as soon as you enter the park, seeing monkeys and impalas.
We were staying in a deluxe bungalow by the river bank, and first impressions were great. We had AC, an average size bed, nice bathroom with excellent shower, there was even satellite TV. Outside our thatched roof bungalow there was a patio area which had a BBQ, fridge, sink and seating. It was very dark by our patio area during the day as we were shaded by a huge tree which wasn’t the best.
In the mornings and afternoons you can hear the hippo’s in the river as well as the odd monkey in the tree as well as lots of birdlife. The camp has great facilities, a few restaurants, a café with its seating under a thatched roof that has hundreds of little fruit bats sleeping – very cute, a huge shop which carried all the food you could want, plus every kind of souvenir, there was also a swimming pool but we didn’t get to try it out but it looked very inviting each time we passed it. The restaurant we ate in on the last night was an old train station, the seating area is on the platform, the atmosphere is great, the service was good, and the food was ok. The restcamp itself has no lighting as such so at night its pitch black to walk around so you may want to buy a torch. We were there for 2 days and I would sum it up as being excellent value for money, but don't expect luxury..

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Silvertimtim
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed at the Skukuza camp at Kruger in one of their bungalows..nothing fancy but great value for money and clean overall...easy access to restaurants, souvenier shops and great safari-type activities....we would recommend this for people looking for a good place to stay at Skukuza and don't want to overspend

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RohitManvi
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I stayed here for two nights in December 2008 as part of a package for a safari tour. It was the third place I stayed in South Africa and based on my experiences up to that point I had fairly low expectations.
I stayed in a round bungalow with conical thatched roof - there were three single beds with an ensuite shower room, air conditioning and fan, as well as a small terrace with sink, fridge, table and chairs.
I was impressed with the facilities at the rest camp (shops and cafes), but felt the shops should be open later. The restaurant (in the style of an old train station) was interesting.
More external lighting would be helpful - we met several people who got lost finding their rooms in the dark.
Despite the heavy rain, the room remained dry, clean and comfortable. The only noises I heard were from the wild animals at night, birds in the morning and the thunderstorms. I slept soundly.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank ilovemiddleeast
Reviewed November 4, 2008

My husband and I were part of a tour and slept in one of the huts for 2 nights - room 211. Our room was very noisey around 5.00 am because we were situated beside the road and we could hear traffic and people talking along with the sound of wild animals. You'd be advised to take an early night, not much to entertain you here anyway in the evenings so you'll be having an early night! If you are going on safari you'll be up at the crack of dawn anyway so the noise will be your wake up call. The huts are basic but ok - as expected there were no modern appliances ie tv, radio, hairdryer, clock..... There was a small kitchen and fridge outside the hut and a small bathroom with a sink situated in the bedroom. There were some moths and ants and an earwig in the room but you are in the middle of the safari, We also had a large lizzard in the room. They all must get in through the thatched roof.

The sheets did have stains on them but they did look as if they'd been washed. The food in the restaurant was good enough, we ate at the buffet twice, limited choice for dessert, just icecream or pudding. The breakfast was nice.

The park is very dark at night and it can be difficult finding your way back to your hut so take a torch with you. There is a large well stocked shop on site which sells everything you'll need. There is also internet available at a reasonable cost beside the cafe.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Donegaltourist
Reviewed September 15, 2008

We just returned this morning from Skukuza restcamp. We were also booked in the luxury riverview bungelow. My husband laughed when I told him we were in the nicest accommodations in the park. We were there for the location and the animals, and knew it would not be like the Four Seasons.

It is a round hut with an outside kitchen overlooking the river, which is the best part about these huts. Our bedding had some old stains on them but looked to be freshly laundered. There were no bugs or mosquitoes in the room ever. The second night, someone took one of our outside chairs, but we never asked for another.

There is an outside kitchen but we opted for the cafeteria after the game drives ended at 8 pm. We went to the restaurant the first night but didn't think it was worth the price. Breakfast is better than dinner but the chicken sandwiches are fine. There is a train restaurant which has the best food in the park and is not expensive.

I always spoke to the staff and they were always very helpful to me, helping us move our food to a better table etc. I found the communal bathrooms to always be clean.

We were outside our last evening and some elephants had crossed over the river to our side and were right next to the fence. Hyenas ran by. It was an amazing experience.

We loved the location of Skukuza-easy to drive to the north or down to lower Sabie-we saw all the Big Five.

We basically were only in our bungelow to sleep but we saw many people who were really enjoying their stay, entertaining on their patios, etc.

Loved the location, loved the experience, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple