Royal Malewane
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$669
  • Breakfast included
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
$1,835
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$862
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
$2,051
Hotels.com
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsafrica houseroyal suitebirkenhead housesouth africala residenceguide nicolathe general managersafari experiencehouse staffthornybush reserveprivate poolpersonal chefgame drivesspa staffbest hotels in the worldroyal treatmentprivate chef
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Amazing Service, Staff, and Living Quarters. I stayed in the Royal Suite which is absolutely amazing! (I reccommend looking into that if you are staying at Royal Malawane.) I saw a huge variety of Animals, and saw all of the big five my first day there, when my charted touched down, he scared about 200 buffalo off the runway! Good buissness accomedations. They have wireless internet, but I don't reccommend it for people who don't have a ton of patience. Instead, I reccommend bringing your own mobile broadband card, or walking over to the Royal Malawane spa's computers, which are a lot faster. Overall, Royal Malawane was the best part of my trip, 2 thumbs up! =)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank servicekiller1ty
Reviewed April 13, 2007

Royal Malewane had the best service of any place I have ever stayed including their closest competitor, Singita. While I would give Singita a better rating for number of animals we saw and our rooms there were even more opulent at Singita I must say that the service was out of this world at Royal Malewane. I would recommend Royal Malewane to anyone going on a game reserve safari. Terrance and Ryan were our tracker and guide and they were absolutely terrific. The staff all met us when we arrived with cool towels and drinks and made my wife and I and my sister and brother-in-law feel like kings. The Ritz in Paris, the Four Seasons in Costa Rica, and the Mandarin Oriental in Hawaii, and Singita in South Africa could all take lessons from this place ( and they were all fantastic A+ places). We stayed for four days and went on eight different safaris and each one was very memorable. Paul Goldner, Toledo, Ohio

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank pgoldner
Reviewed February 24, 2007

We arrived at Royal Malewane on 17th February 2007 and stayed 4 nights. The charter flight from Joberg is not the best but it's all worth it once you arrive. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful without being overbearing. Rooms are fantastic (suite 3 overlooks the watering hole so is a great place to view widelife from the comfort of the room) and the game drives were amazing. A huge thanks to Jonas our tracker and Jonathan our guide for making each outing such a great adventure (we found our leopard !!). Having stayed in some of the worlds top hotels I can honestly say that Royal Malewane is one of the most special places we have ever stayed in. To find such luxury, incredible food and great service out in the wildnerness of Africa was unexpected. Congratulations Edward and the team and thankyou once again.
ps. One piece of advise, our 2.30pm charter flight with Nel Air arrived at 2.45 then had to make 2 more stops before arriving at Joberg at 5.00pm. As a result we almost missed our 6.00pm international flight. Next time we will take the morning flight or make sure our connection is much later in the evening.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MCNAus
Reviewed November 11, 2006

After reading the previous reviews, I had high expectations for the Royal Malewane. Let me tell you of our experience.

We flew in to the Thornybush airstrip about 2 hours late due to a rain delay in J'berg. Naturally not knowing what to expect we were a little worried about still being met at the airport. We did not have to worry as there really isn't an airport it is just a dirt strip that our little King Air landed on. The flight in provided by Nelair was spectacular. They fly over the 2nd largest canyon in the world and the views are amazing.

Upon our plane arrival we were meet by our ranger and tracker that were assigned to us for the duration of our stay. They popped our luggage in the land rover and our adventure began. On the way to the lodge we saw a few Impala and lots of thorn trees and lots of dry brush. They are waiting for the rainy season to begin so it was quite dry.

We drove up to the wooden walkway entrance to the Royal Malewane and were greeted with big smiles and a fresh tropical fruit drink and cool face cloths by Reianne (the manager), Chris (our personal Chef), Erick (our suite's butler) and several other people. Our luggage magically disappeared and we walk down the boardwalk to our accommodations.

Just to the right of our front door we were greeted by the local Nyala (small deer type animal) as if on queue. When we entered the thatched roofed suite we felt like we were entering someone’s home. Large white sofas and comfortable chairs surrounded the large fireplace (too hot this time of year to use!) There was a full kitchen with granite counters and dining table that would fit 12 easily.

When taken to our rooms, we found huge 4 poster king size beds with Italian linens and the thickest feather beds I think I have ever seen. The rooms were mammoth and nicely appointed with ample closet space and beautiful antique desk and bureau. The huge bathroom had double pedestal sinks, deep claw foot tub; separate out door shower, and also an indoor shower. There is also a separate room for the loo.

After discussing our dinner options with Chris and Erick, we were whisked off on first game drive with Reianne (our ranger - different than the manager) and Wilson (the only Master Tracker in South Africa - weren't we lucky!). Impala, buffalo, elephants, nyala, kudu, springbok, warthogs, wildebeests, we saw them all the first night!

I could go on and on, but the only way you will know the true experience of the Royal Malewane is to go there. You will be treated like royalty, waited on hand and foot. They take care of every detail including bug spray and laundry everyday. The food is out of this world and the people there are some of the best I have encountered and are genuinely happy to be there with you.

I don’t know if I will ever get to experience anything else like this in my life time, but if I ever get the opportunity to go back, I know that my family and I would go in a heartbeat! We were not let down at all by the other reviews.

The game drives are wonderful too. We did see the big 5 (lions, buffalo, elephants, rhino, and leopards). We actually got 4 our of 5 on our first two drives.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I am a big fan if you can’t tell!

PS – Elton John, Liz Hurley, and Bono amongst others have stayed here too!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Sfarmer1228
A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I am very lucky and travel all over the world very often. But this place - WOW - it really is something else. Absolute understated class - from the staff to the decor to the food and the safari itself - just cannot recommend this place highly enough, Everything about this place is quite simply - STUNNING! go - quickly - before the secret is out!

• Stayed: October 2005