“Much better than expected”
Review of Berg-en-Dal

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kruger National Park
Berg-en-Dal
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I must admit to some trepidation booking a bungalow at Berg en Dal rest camp because I'd been told they were quite basic. In my case I booked a type BA3U which lists the following facilities: 3 single beds, Aircon, Fridge, Hotplate, Sink, Utensils, Wc and shower. I stayed for just one night. The bedroom, kitchen area and bathroom were very clean, the bed surprisingly comfortable. Kitchen crockery and cutlery were provided as well as some utensils. I heard that the restaurants at the rest camps are not at all good, so I brought charcoal and food and had a BBQ (braai) on the grill area outside. Make sure to bring a torch! Overall I was very pleased with the standard of accommodation and wouldn't hesitate to use Berg en Dal again providing I got a bungalow of the same or better quality. I've rated the property "very good" because it was so much better than I expected and perfectly acceptable (I'm normally a hotels kind of guy).

Room Tip: To avoid disappointment, get the most expensive bungalow you can afford.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richard M

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Camp for a short stay. For longer camping it is too. In need of a renovation. Part of the equipment is already quite worn. The restaurant has the same menu as everywhere, and that's a shame. After a week it's annoying.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jakub M
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great camp site, however as with all the restaurants that are run by SANParks, avoid them.

Disappointment when it comes to restaurant food delivery. What sadness me even more is that this is the same statement for all the camps we visited; Lower Sabie, Satara, Skukuza and Letaba. They all have the same menu and they all have the same product delivery.

Tip: If you want to eat and need to eat at the camp order the chicken pizza (ask for the chillies to be removed if you don’t like it hot), as this is the best meal on the menu.

Room Tip: Camp site is great!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adriaan S
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I love the area in the southern section of Kruger National Park. Last year I spent 3 nights at Malelane and opted for Berg en Dal for two nights this year. We stayed in perimeter unit #25. The location relative to the fence was great, and was just adjacent to the Rhino Walking Trail. The interior of the unit had been updated at some point, however was still showing signs of poor upkeep. The cover to the aircon fell off in the middle of the night and the drawers in the kitchen were all broken.

This unit had a separate toilet and shower area. The toilet was very small and cramped as one of the previous posts indicated. The shower area was the biggest of any of the camps we stayed at. The water pressure was great as well.

If I were to choose again between Berg en Dal and Malelane I would opt for Malelane because of the quiet intimacy of the camp and because of its proximity to the main roads.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank deamole
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just been to Kruger and had a wonderful time. Such a pity the restaurants and in particular the one at Berg en Dal are so poorly managed. We waited an hour and half for our Burger and T Bone steak. It was not good and also very expensive. There were only 4 tables and the kitchen could not cope with that. It's such a pity that they can't get that right because it taints an otherwise great experience.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Des L
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were a group of six and chose to stay at this game lodge for a night. We booked a two bedrooms chalet. Extra beds were put for kids. Kitchenette was fully equipped. There was a nice family space inside as well outside the chalet. Barbeque klin was provided. The best part was being amidst nature.
I would say that the chalet was very clean, well furnished and unintimidating. The camp is very well maintained.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This camp was easily accessible. The accommodations were clean. The bathroom was very tiny and extremely easy to stub your toe on the door stop that was right in front of the toilet and entrance to the shower. We saw the most wild life at this rest camp area as opposed to Olifants and it may have been because of the time of year we went. The kitchen was nice with an electric hot water kettle. We did eat at the restaurant which was pretty poor as far as quality of food. The hamburger tasted rancid I actually had to order something else and the ketchup was definitely OFF. Just don't eat there but the camp is a great place to stay to get an early start into the park.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple