Letaba Rest Camp
Hoyo-Hoyo Safari Lodge(Kruger National Park)
$640
$391
  • Breakfast included
Elephant Plains Game Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
$679
  • Breakfast included
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve(Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve)
$2,000
Muweti Bush Lodge(Grietjie Nature Reserve)
$104
Londolozi Private Game Reserve(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
$1,562
SA Hotels
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)(Great Value!)
$622
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $798/night.

Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
$1,547
  • Breakfast included
Ulusaba Safari Lodge(Ulusaba Private Game Reserve)
$1,000
SA Hotels
Dulini Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
$1,966
SA Hotels
Thornybush Game Lodge(Thornybush Private Game Reserve)
$1,134
  • Breakfast included
All reviewselephant museumrest campthe riverphalaborwa gategame viewingbush buckmature treesguest housebush kitchenspotted hyenabit datedstaff at receptionparks boardcrockery and cutlerystayed here for one nightcommunal kitchensbird hide
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Due to location, facilities, amenities--I would have to say that Letaba on balance was my favorite rest camp in Kruger. We had a nice, well-outfitted bungalow with screened in cooking facilities, and reasonably appointed dishware/cookware and supplies. Hot plate worked, sort of. Braai/barbecue was put to good use, and had nice little patio table. We had outstanding perimeter location with a view (but had asked for that when booking 6 months before). I used the pool, which was smallish, coldish, but nonetheless refreshing after safari drive. Supplies at the store were adequate for extra food needs. The grounds were large enough and had decent paths of walking around and getting exercise--actually hard to do in fenced-in safari holidays. Had a nice night tour with a guide who needed some speaking tips, but nonetheless was knowledgeable and friendly. Two nights in August saw no mosquitos, comfortable if somewhat basic rooms. Elephant museum is very enlightening, but watch out when several hundred school children descend at the time of your visit. Not quite sure why reception staff seems so aloof. They should get just a little customer service training, a shot of enthusiasm, sell their day/night tours a little more vigorously, keep their wildlife sightings board up-to-date. We come a long long way, and it is very costly to get here and to be here--we endure a variety of misadventures along the way--so would rather get a bit more impressive of a welcome.

Room Tip: Perimeter room has good view. May want to avoid rooms near reception or elephant museum due to idling vans, buses waiting for tours, school kids (by the hundreds).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Comfortable and functional but dated feel and communal kitchen very basic. Good views from campsite but Lower Sabie was far better for this. Interesting elephant museum. No wifi and my husband was upset that the shop didn't sell beer.

Room Tip: Tip – try to get one of the refurbished units.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Facing Letaba reception feels like heading at a huge cheap-mass hotel. Unluckily if you come from abroad, very often Letaba represents your first "step" into the beauty and the wilderness of incredible Kruger NP. Unfortunately most of the times the "front" is made of very square minded or with some more luck... of beginners. Sometimes also happens that due to the typhon of people checking--in one night ad checking-out the day after, also the safari guides loose their temper and their patience. Sometimes might be also the love for the precious work they are doing.
After a deep breath...going streigh to middle management, you reach the nice and quiet talk that everyone would expect. After this Letaba becomes a beatiful KNP rest camp, better if with a rondavale facing the river. A special thanks to Peter ( a very special caring guide) and Erick (following the right steps to become as special) and to Mrs M. (so sorry I did not catch the name propelly!) for giving us a very relaxed staying. Your children would love the presence of animals inside the camp. Best regards

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Letaba has a great location on the river , bungalows are basic but more that adequate for the family.
was really dissapointed with the game viewing here though as it is really hard to see game through the thick mopani scrub, loads of elephant though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank vumaas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Letaba.
Overall: Very nice rest camp, personnel lacks training. Very spacious camp, though bicycles are not allowed, says the 1st sign inside the perimeter.

Reception: I enter and excuse myself, I did book a campsite and I also paid for the conservation fees, though I can't hand over a printed receipt, but I have a reservation number and a client code at hand. Big question mark... Black guy in front of a black screen, we're offline, I can't check if you booked. I'll have to trust you, better come back later, to check if we're online again. He stipulates that the payment of the conservation fees is very important. I think that those fees goes straight into his pocket, most people don't know or understand it and they didn't pay it, so it will be in cash! Save yourself the struggle pay up front!

Shop: Alcohol and souvenirs are well stocked, but no meat (apart from the two whole chickens and a quarterpack of lamb). My choice, having a vegetarian braai, or eat out. Big question mark from the charming lady behind the till, for biltong, drinks and smokes I hand over R202,40 where the total is R142,40. After travelling 4 days to and in the Kruger National Park, my wallet and the car's ash trays are overloaded with coins. Even if you have to pay R10,20 you'll get at least R9,80 in coins in return, people can't think in this corner of South Africa.

Settling in: I quickly pitch my tent, finding a spot was not easy, cause which braai and power supply belongs to the site number stated on the site of the road. I popped in at the restaurant, I have a beer and check if the menu is worth while. I think I can manage. We'll skip the vegetarian braai. I'll ask the waiter how much for the beer, he doesn't know! My God, do you work here? I drive back to my tent, charge what ever needs to be charged, while checking out my pics for the day. Rewarding, 2 Leopards!

Restaurant: Get serviced by the same waiter. Dressed in the same uniform, though now with a hairnet on, as if he was working the kitchen just now. He's also dragging his feet, oh, look, he's wearing safety boots! Funny. Throws 2 menus on my table, you choose! The colourful laminated 1 is the same I saw this afternoon, the copied 1 is new. I order the chargrilled rump steak from the 'special menu'. The waiter has to look it up before he understands how to sell it. Pff... Within a 15 minutes the tables are filled with people, the last couple sits down right next to me. Speaking loudly in my native language, they have to act quick, because the restaurant closes in half an hour. That's new for me. Closing time 1830! Wow, that's early! I order the second drink, when I get my food. I struggle to cut my meat with a simple knive, but I dare not to ask for a steak knive, cause they probably don't have it. I finished my food, was lovely. Couldn't figure out the texture of the meat, because it was covered with loads of sauce. While finishing my food, I wondered if the waiter went to the local brewer to fetch my drink, because since I ask him for a beer I hadn't seen him since... I walk up to waiter number 2, who's been chitchatting all evening with a companion and ask for the bill, what's is your table number? I figure out it's number 10. Looking over his back, I see a lady behind a till, I think there's a quicker way. I pay at the till and leave a generous, but undeserved tip, I don't feel the need for more coins in my pocket... On the way out I pass both waiters, saying I've already paid. I walk back to my tent and start typing this story, past 7 there's people walking by, saying they're going to the reastaurant. Oh God! It will be closed by then, the shop also closes around that time. Where do you have restaurants in an area without other options (a barely stocked shop and you can drive out the rest camp at night) that closes this damn early!!! I'm glad, tomorrow I'm staying over in Skukuza again, it's a long drive, but at least I know everything will be fine, it's the (head) main camp, after all!

Letaba, come prepared or don't come at all!!!

Room Tip: I was camping, the sites next to the fence are nice, because the hyenas guard it at night, looking for scraps from the BBQ's! Those sites are always taken first!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo