“Great”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jagersrust
Amphitheatre Backpackers Lodge
Reykjavik
“Great”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed in a dorm, very clean. Food is good, a bit pricy. Views are amazing. Its quiet and isolated (no supermarkets here). Good tours on offer (reccomend the Lesotho tour). Had a great time, met lovely people.
Tip: they don't take credit cards, but you can pay via internet transfer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 25, 2013

It is true that if you stay here they will push you on their tours-- so, if you just want to stay somewhere for a night and be left alone, maybe don't come here. HOWEVER, if you are a solo backpacker without a car, this place is very convenient. The amphitheater hike is great (if you're on a tight schedule make sure you call ahead and confirm the hike is available when you are there, they don't go out every day). I would highly recommend bringing your own groceries here-- there are several kitchens available and the food they serve is expensive and not amazing (not bad either). The dorms are nice and clean.

You can take the BazBus here, but it's not necessary. If you take a minibus from Durban to Harrismith you could ask around and find another minibus that will take you past the backpacker's place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

At first we really liked the backpackers, but after we left we had a bad feeling..some things didn't seem right.
Why? Because the staff tried to talk us into expensive tours we didn't need to book (we didn't, thank god). They said the road was horrible to the national park and a car of previous guests broke down there because of the horrible road and everything got stolen.. Yeah right! It was impossible to do the hiking on your own. We had an amazing day in the National Park and did the Gorge walk. The staff in the park is very helpful and the walks are easy to do on your own. It cost us only 150 ZAR including entrance fee, gas and our lunch instead of ZAR500.
Paying for wifi is oldfashioned these days and for a five star backpackers we think it should be a service.
They say you cannot drink the water and that you have to buy bottles at the reception..
And if you have a car, go to Tower of pizza for dinner!! Something they can recommend, but all they do is give you information about the backpackers itself.

And not possible to pay by card?! Oldfashioned aswell.. Moola Magic, in all the books and on the website of Molla Magic it is said that they give you discount with a MM card... NOT!

Conclusion: bad taste after all

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Louisepascale

Travelers are raving about these Jagersrust hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

What galls me most about my experience at this place was the appalling attitude and hard sell tactics displayed by the manager in terms of providing simple information about the surrounding area and independent access to the Amphitheater and the ‘Berg. As an independent traveller. I’ve stayed in backpacker hostels all over the world and have found it a pleasurable experience as they have only been too pleased to help and provide information. The sheer ‘hard sell’ attitude here left a really bad taste. When we asked the manager some basic questions about how far the access to the mountains were etc… we were met with absolute rubbish that they nearest entry point was two hours away, that it could only be accessed with guides, and that the price was 500 Rands – absolute garbage! We did the trip to the Amphitheater and Tugela Falls for 60 Rand and stayed at a lodge at the base of the mountains for a fraction of the price we were quoted. This places takes advantage of people’s ignorance (especially young travellers backpacking for the first time). I wouldn't mind if this was a one-off experience that only happened to us but everyone we spoke to had received similar treatment. Do your research first – there are plenty of affordable accommodation options within the area. If you want to go to the Amphitheater and trek, the Royal Parks Office is at the foot of Sentinel Peak. You’ll pay 20 Rands entry and 40 Rands for a day’s hiking. Don’t bother giving this place your money as they give hostels a bad name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank JDM2020
Bristol
Reviewed March 16, 2013

On first sight this hostel appears to situated in the middle of a huge field. We almost didn't get off the mini bus as it seemed so remote. Fortunately, however, we had read the guide book and knew that the tour to the Tugela Falls departed from here. Once inside, there is a definite hippie style that is as endearing as it is unique. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and benefited from a good size veranda. However, it was the bar that really grabbed your attention - full of souvenirs which varied from old tins of polish adorning the pillars on the bar to wallpaper that was in fact sheets of matchbox labels, multi-coloured bottle-ends cemented into the bar and backlit and a jacuzzi! The food was reasonably priced and of good quality. Great value, good trips available. The surrounding Drakensberg Mountains are stunning.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BristolButterflyRed
Ucluelet, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was a very special place with incredible experiences. The Drakensberg tours set up by the backpackers were a highlight of my South African adventures. The owner was very helpful and I enjoyed my time at the very unique Hostel. Thanks

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WildLouis
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I'd read the reviews here before arriving and was a bit worried about staying here, but I am so glad I did stay, I absolutely adored this place!

Unlike other reviewers, I didn't feel I was getting the hard sell. It's true that there's no shop nearby - Eleanor told me this when I booked and advised to stock up if I wanted to cook for myself. When I arrived, I was given loads of information about what there is to do in the area - they told me of plenty of walks I could do without a guide. And of course they told me about the guided walks they run too. Not being an experienced hiker, I opted the guided walks and really enjoyed them. Adrian is a great guide and full of interesting stories. He's good fun too.

The dorms and most rooms are well away from the bar, so there's no late night noise to worry about. mattresses are really comfy, good and thick and new looking (they change them often apparently). The showers have good water pressure and are clean and nicely done. There are three public kitchen areas - all really well stocked and maintained, loads of loos and showers dotted about the place, as well as a sauna, a jacuzzi and a swimming pool.

There was a friendly, open atmosphere and they've worked so hard to create a beautiful place with affordable prices. The views are incredible, the facilities outstanding, the people are lovely, friendly, chatty. I definitely want to come back. As we were leaving, everybody was saying they were sorry to leave. I don't normally post on Trip Advisor, but really felt the need to offer an alternative opinion about this place. Thanks to everyone at Amphitheatre for a brilliant five days - I loved every minute.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lily A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jagersrust
Cavern Drakensberg Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Jagersrust
Montusi Mountain Lodge
Montusi Mountain Lodge
#1 of 6 in uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park

Been to Amphitheatre Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!