“So good we returned and will again!”

Pezulu Tree House Game Lodge
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Pezulu treehouses is amazing! I live in South African with my South African husband but I am from HOlland and work at a lodge myself. There are many lodges around kruger but Pezulu treehouses really is something different and an experience you shouldn't miss!
We were here in 2011 and becasue i loved the stay so much, now again with my parents from Holland in 2012.
We had 2 different treehouses now and they both were so different that it felt like a new experience! To have a shower outside in de bush and sun and a bath with view, great ambiance!
My parents ahd the game drive (which is not that expensive since i can compare it as working in the lodge industry around Kruger myself) and the guide was good, they had rhino and leopard!
The bar is a real relaxing place and the dinner is very welcoming and feels like you are surrounded by friends! The breakfast was perfectly fine. The tea is not that much but if you think about what you pay, you can't expect 5 star full breakfast, lunch and dinner either!

Definitely recommended!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We spent an idyllic few days at Pezulu and can highly recommend it. The treehouses are spectacular and you really feel right in the bush, which of course you are, but with the luxury of very stylish & clean rooms. Each treehouse is beautifully individual and private. The main lodge has a great bar and a homely restaurant layout, where we were made to feel very welcome by Claude and Lydia. Connie is the chef - she is a sweetheart and made the best venison pie I've ever eaten. Rickus is the guide and was an absolute star, really going out of his way to help us with anything we needed. There are 5 very cute bush babies living in the roof of the bar and they put on quite a show each evening. And last but not least, the game drive was amazing. We saw the Big 5 in one morning, which I know is the luck of the draw but the Thornybush Reserve is excellent and the guides drive right into the bush to give you the best chance of seeing the animals (ask for Olaf!). We would have happily stayed for a month and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 186338Abc
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I would just like to thank you for the most BEAUTIFUL day we had at Pezulu on the 28th June (Dream Treehouse). It was everything and MORE what I expected. As I told Claude, what you see on the internet is EXACTLY what you get. My hubby was totally bowled over by the surprise I arranged for us for our anniversay.

As I keep telling people, it was stunning - stunning - stunning and sleeping outside on the verandah was just so awesome. As my husband told me on Friday morning as we woke up, everyone should have this on their bucket list ;-)

From the minute we drove in and was met by a very friendly gentleman, to our tree house, everything was perfect. What I loved too was the naturalness of everything. When we arrived we were served 'high tea/light lunch' it was lovely been served home cooked food. Then dinner - WOW - also a real treat not this fancy 'french cuisine nonsense' - this was home cooked bush food at its best. Breakfast did not disappoint us either - we loved every minute/second of our stay at Pezulu and I would definitely love to return and hopefully stay for 2 nights.

Room Tip: Dream house so you can push your bed outside. What better way to wake up watching the sun rise and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This could be an AWESOME place - but is ruined by management who have no clue on typical south African hospitality. The owners are from Europe and obviously were not 'south-africanised' prior to taking over this operation. We had brought a Canadian couple with us and had bragged about the kind if hospitality that we are accustomed to - only to be disappointed by these folks.

The food was not good at all. 'high tea' was a joke - we were practically hostage in this remote area with a tiny morsel for lunch (tea) I did see the owners wife wolfing down a hearty meal in the kitchen though!

The tree/houses were great, as was the staff.

In short - I will never return to Pezula or recommend it to anyone until mgmt changes. So sad ....

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank purdy37
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

We are shocked about this fake review, we are certain that it’s not from a guest who stayed at our lodge but it was written or instructed by a person that wants to harm us by all means (that person even threatened us to write a bad review about our lodge).
To make sure that this review was not written by a guest, we checked in our reservation file and saw that there was no booking for that month from Canadian guests. Furthermore we were overseas the whole month of July 2011 so it was impossible to meet us. Furthermore my wife never has lunch in the kitchen of the lodge as we do have our own kitchen in our house and nobody prepares lunch for us. We have all our meals in our house or together with the guests in the boma but never in the kitchen of the lodge.
Our high tea is similar to other lodges in South Africa where we stayed: a selection of savoury and sweet dishes (for instance quiche or pizza & cake), fresh fruits and of course coffee or tea. We always make sure that our guests are not leaving the table hungry.
Maybe we are not ‘South-Africanised’ in the reviewer’s eyes. But do South Africans need to get ‘Germanised’ should they decide to relocate to Germany for example? 70% of our guests are from Europe and they all appreciate a lot that we speak German and French fluently. We also travelled a lot in the whole world before we moved to South Africa which helps to understand other nations and to have a good conversation. We have a lot of returning guests and referrals and our occupancy rate increases every year which shows that our lodge is popular even if we are not ‘South-Africanised’ …
This fake review doesn’t reflect the opinion of our dear guests who stayed at our lodge.
Kind regards,
Claude & Lydia HUBERTY
Owners

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My lady and I spent 3 wonderful nights at Pezulu and we have nothing but great things to say. Our tree house overlooked a waterhole and our early mornings and evenings were spent watching animals coming to drink. The early morning safari with Olaf was a great learning experience and the staff at Pezulu were amazing. Our nights around the fire will be remembered always. Our thanks to all who contributed to such a wonderful experience. We'll be back asap. Bravo Lydia and Claude!!

Room Tip: Any room at Pezulu would be suitable
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Exceeded my expectations. Beautiful, tranquil location, accommodations, service. Will recommend to everyone I know who is traveling to South Africa for safari.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beachway34242
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My aunt and I spent 3 glorious nights at Pezulu. The staff was extremely warm and welcoming. The tree houses are AMAZING, more luxurious than the pictures! The one we stayed in was huge and very private, with 2 decks! It was a very restful weekend with lots of relaxing and reading and the optional game drives in the neighboring Thornybush Game Lodge were good as well.

Room Tip: Each tree house is different, read the descriptions, look at the photos and see which one you fancy.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family