“Great conversation”

Blue Cottages Country House
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I enjoyed the stay. Very friendly front porch conversation. Food with outdoor dining was incredible. Rooms were small but nice and enough. Make sure you see the birds. Two twin beds in my cottage. Garden landscape. About an hour from Kruger.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Traveling solo to South Africa for a tracking safari, I stayed at the Blue Cottages Country House my first and last evenings in SA. I stayed in Crane Cottage 1, a cozy rondavel decorated with anitques and surrounded by lovely gardens and terraces. Adjacent, but not en suite, the bathroom contained an amazing clawfoot tub to soak away coach travel and safari dust! Although not close to much of anything, there is a restaurant and curio shop a short walk towards the main road. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation dining with other guests from around the world, relaxing by the fire and reading. The owners were also very friendly and helpful in assisting me with planning my multiple pick-up and drop-offs, as well as providing transportation to and from the airport for a very reasonable fee. The meals were delicious.The amenities were modest, if not minimal. But, I was not looking to stay in a five star resort or a cookie cutter hotel chain. I hoped to get a flavor of the people and place that I was traveling half way around the world to experience, I was very happy with my choice and would definitely choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank lisa t
Reviewed March 6, 2012

The rooms are clean and the facilities are pretty good as too is the home cooked food. I could have done without the frequent negative comments made about non-whites made at several junctures of conversation while around the owners. These comments even extended to include members of their own staff!

• Stayed: April 2011
12  Thank Ewan M
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We were part of a block booking - we all paid the same rate. We were placed in a small annexure and had to SHARE a bathroom. We had no air-con, just a very wobbly ceiling fan and no TV. This room was quite obviously the 'children's' part of a family room.When we questioned Tony, he simply said - see if someone is prepared to change with you! Not at all what we expected, and although the hosts were friendliness itself, this did not make up for the extreme discomfort we experienced. My husband was taken ill and had to spend the entire day in 39 degree heat and no aircon. Would deffinately not recommend as I feel we were taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a rondavel - not the tiny section of the Family Room - and specify NO sharing bath...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Edwina H
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I have stayed 2 nights at the Blue Cottage and I really felt home. The 2 owners are so friendly! I travelled alone and they joined me for dinner every night. It didn't felt like a stay in a resort, but staying with family.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sylvia197705
Reviewed January 6, 2012

From the moment you are met at the airport by Tony you know that you made the right choice.

The Blue Cottages are cute, comfortable and surrounded by lush gardens. The pool is refreshing on a hot day. The food is amazing and when you sit at the outdoor patio with Tony, Tursha, and any of the wonderful guests that are passing through, you feel like your at a dinner party with friends.

As a solo traveller I was treated like family and will be coming back to visit again.

Do not hesitate to book with the Blue Cottages, it will be a wonderful experience!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank LA2012Africa
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Friendly people, a wonderful garden with lots of birds. On a good location. Yes the cottages could use a little upgrading but it was not disturbing for us. It was clean and the new owners make you feel at home. Good value for money.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple