“Amazing and unparalleled experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Camp Jabulani

Camp Jabulani
London, England
“Amazing and unparalleled experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon following a recommendation from a friend in the travel agency business. I was slightly skeptical because I normally do ALOT of research and book my own trips but a safari holiday was way our of my comfort zone!! I work in the hotel industry and am lucky to travel throughout EMEA, US & Caribbean often which I say just as context because Camp Jabulani is without a doubt the most enchanting place I have ever had the privelege of staying. The quality of accommodation is exquisite and the food and location amazing. What really makes this place special however is the service. The lodge is extremely luxurious without any pretention, and the service is flawless from the safari guides to the restaurant. The beauty of the rooms is amazing given the remote location....the bath was gorgeous and outside pool an added bonus though it was too cold for us to dare during our trip! The meals rivaled the best Michelin star restaurants in London. We felt totally comfortable and pampered during our stay and met some amazing people. The safari was brilliant and we were sad to leave!! We look forward to a wedding anniversary trip sometime in the future!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Momormum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

When my wife told me how much this vacation was going to cost us I almost felt ashamed because it was well above what we had ever paid to stay in any place and we have travelled a bit. Our tour of South Africa icluded among others also a 3 night stay in Jabulani. I must say what I felt after having been there was that if I had to make a choice how to spend my money between say buying a car or spending one week in Jabulani with my family I know what the answer would be. We are not rich by any means and I feel lucky to have been able to do this maybe only this one time in my life, but considering we only have one life to live, it seems to me quite the case that we should allow ourselves something very very special every once in a while.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank drlongo
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

I have just returned from a lovely trip to South Africa, the highlight of which was a stay at Camp Jabulani. I dont even know where to begin describing how perfect our stay was. The rooms are gorgeous...very comfortable ..yet you definetly feel like you are in africa. There is a gorgeous glassed in outdoor shower, huge soaking tub...private outdoor deck with 2 lounge chairs and a plunge pool. The room is very spacious - plenty of room to spread out.

The main lodge is equally beautifully appointed. A large living room with comfortable soafs, chairs fireplace etc. Outdoor eating is like being in a tree house. The dining room is lovely, understated...just perfect. The food it as good as the top restaurants in New York (where I visit a lot) and Chicago (where I am from). We had excellent food the entire trip...but the best meals were at Jabulani.

The service is also first rate. From our initial greeting by Carl (the GM), who is present and available and eager to please, the standard was set. Our guide, Rey (he actually has a longer name but we all just called him Rey) was a doll. He accomodated every request cheerfully - this camp is not as regimented as others. The game drives are not at preset times, we went out at mutually agreed upon times.He was happy to accomodate personal requests - such as a repeat visit to the cheetahs at the rescue center.

The elephant safari rides were very fun...very memorable. The elephants are darling...they just exude happiness. It was a treat to ride them. They play in a pond every day at 130...I got great pictures as they splashed around.

One of the things that makes this camp so special...is the rescue efforts that are such an integral part of this camp and the Hoedspruit Rescue Center. To have a stay as elegant and fun as Camp Jabulani....AND to know that proceeds are going to a good cause....amazing .

I would definitely return...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank chichichicago
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

This is a beautiful and luxurious lodge - really out of a movie - and all I can say is if you go to South Africa - this lodge warrants a visit. It is beyond elegant as it is appointed with antiques and other luxuries - Royalty does visit. The Elephants are beautiful - there is a daily ride on them - a night safari ride - which is amazing. It is expensive, however if you want a special experience - go.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SKICALGARY2002
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

Absolutely the best safari expeience I had! Relais & Chateaux made an excellent choice by including Camp Jabulani in their portfolio! The food, staff, elephants, Endangered Species centre contibuted to a soul enriching experience! I would definately return, but would love to spend more time in the beautiful appointed suites! Will return for a longer period next time!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank XanderSouthAfrica
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

Wonderfull, unbelievable...far exceeding our expectations. I have been to over 30 lodges throughout Africa and couldn't think of a better place to have our wedding.

As with other reviews, the lodge is beautiful and the rooms exceptionally large and well laid out. But what distinguished the lodge for us were the people and how they made our wedding that much more special.

Elsie the manager, co-ordinated everything and constantly came up with great ideas and little surprises that made things that much more special. Anna Louise, the Chef cooked us her favorite 5 dishes for our wedding dinner in the riverbed which was a great combination of wonderful tasting dishes, exquisitly persented. Donnie, our ranger, was so helpful with everything. Not only great game drives, but sort of acted as the "Best Man" on the wedding day helping both of us with every little detail. And Paul, the Elephant trainer did amazing things with the Elephants, including having Jabulani as our ring bearer.

Tanya from Africadirect and her husband Hilton ( he was our photographer, but the pictures attached are by the staff and pictures Tanya took on my wifes camera) acted as witnesses at the wedding. They were wonderful with Tanya helping the "bride to be" and Hilton coming up with great ideas, incredible pictures and helped us both relax....they became true friends and we look forward to seeing them again soon.

It was an amazing incredible day. Thanks everyone.

Barry & Terry O'Neill

• Liked — The huge bathtube, fireplace, 4 poster bed and deck
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank barryozed
Far Hills, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

A fantastic hotel. No request was too great. The rooms are beautiful, the bedding amazingly comfortable. The staff so friendly you want to invite them home. The chefs fantastic, imagnative and willing to do simple food for kids. The Rangers are fun and make it exciting.

We had no idea how unique the place was until we stayed at 2 others after - this camp set the bar so high, the rest of the holiday was a let down.

The elephants are amazing. The elephant back safaris something I will remember for the rest of my days and gave my 10 year old the holiday of a lifetime.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank smithsinlondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#1 of 15 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve
Motswari Private Game Reserve
Motswari Private Game Reserve
#1 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve

Been to Camp Jabulani? Share your experiences!