“Just recently stayed for 2 nights”
Review of Camp Jabulani

Camp Jabulani
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This camp was the last of 3 we stayed at. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend Camp Jabulani if you have never experienced a safari bush trip. It is in the Kapama Game Reserve and has about 4-5 other camps that use this reserve so it can be crowded with other jeeps cruising around. The game sightings are excellent but we came here for one reason: to ride the elephants and they did not disappoint. We rode Sebakwe, the largest elephant there and he was an amazing specimen, standing nearly 12 feet tall and 6 tons. We loved our room, the Jabulani suite and the food and service here is exceptional. Our ranger, JP is very knowlegeable about the bush and a real pleasure to be around.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2013

This property and service will satisfy the most demanding tastes. We especially loved the flood service, which was outstanding and beautifully catered to my vegetarian needs. The trip to the Hoedspruit Endangered Spiecies Centre was a treat.

The reason we booked was the elephants....And the elephant night walk is absolutely outstanding experience. I was a little uncomfortable however with the amount of "show" and little true interaction we had with the elephants. I would have enjoyed more time simply observing them and interacting with them in their natural habitat and in a more natural way(which we later experienced in Sanctuart Bains camp at the Living with Elephants Experience)

Overall, a great experience.

Room Tip: Any, they are sublime
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Really great luxury intimate camp located within the Kapama Private Game Reserve. Fantastic food and staff. Very relaxed and everything is at the guests request. All inclusive property (All meals, drinks and activities)
Tip: Be sure to meet Jabulani the elephant and do the elephant interaction and ride - an experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Monet T
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I cannot overstate how wonderful this place is. The accommodations are beyond first class; the food is as well. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Camp Jabulani exceeds any expectations you could ask for in a resort hotel - but it happens to be located in the middle of zebra, lions and elephants. If you are looking for a top-notch experience on safari, this is it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family villa - it comfortably fits a large family and is very private.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Elena J
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My 18-year-old son and I were fortunate enough to stay at Camp Jabulani last week. I cannot say enough GOOD stuff about it. So, first, the SAFARIS -- every time we thought we had seen just about everything and learned what we could learn, something new happened! Baby elephants chasing off sleeping lions, giraffe fighting, a puf adder in the road, etc. JP was an awesome ranger!! The ELEPHANTS. How cool. We learned so much and the rides were really peaceful. It was fun putting the elephants to bed, etc. It was even more fun watching the elephnats play at the watering holes each afternoon. The ENDANGERED SPECIES CENTER. As Camp Jabulani guests, we had special treatment at the Center. We watched vlutures and storks being fed at the "vulture restaurant" (mayhem). We watched wild dogs ripping their food. And, we got to pet a cheetah. The FOOD. Are you kidding me? Amazing. So much of it. The cold breakfast spread BEFORE the hot breakfast was beautiful and delicious. Andre's cooking and tasting menus were to die for... The "Sundowner" cocktail stop was fabulous. Etc. The ROOM. Gorgeous. Classy. Comfortable. Many books available for you to read. A fireplace. An infinity pool. Great shower. Plenty of room for unpacking your things. Couldn't ask for more. I will be going back!!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LegalKC1
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is heaven on earth- the personal attention, range of activities and unusual encounters make for an uncomparable visit. The staff made me feel totally welcome and comfortable. All of my questions were answered and although I had done some reading and research beforehand, I learned more than i thought I would. Respect and ethics come first when the staff deals with both the guests and animals which I really appreciated. Roo was my guide-always professional and very knowledgeable. The elephant-back safaris are really special and every ride is different. The staff will arrange whatever you like such as a hot air balloon ride and you can enjoy it knowing you are dealing with the best.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank K C
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I had the privilege of staying in The Zindoga Villa for 5 nights in October 2011. I find myself daydreaming about my precious time at Jabulani and the adjectives that I consider, "marvelous, amazing, etc" just don't do enough justice for this property.

I chose Camp Jabulani as I absolutely love animals, especially elephants. The history behind the camp also was a big draw for me. I unfortunately did not get to meet Lente Roode, the founder of Camp Jabulani during our visit, but hope to on our next visit. I have tremendous admiration for her and all that she does for the animals.

It was a pleasure to meet the Jabulani staff. Every person I encountered seemed to enjoy his/her job and were totally pleasant. Our villa was just extraordinary. There were 3 plush bedrooms that were beautifully decorated, a lovely sitting/dining area and 2 plunge pools. Having our own staff and own vehicle made the stay even more dreamy. Ray and Dave were awesome and lots of fun! I will never forget when they took us to track lions in the evening.

Things to know/Improvements: You will see power lines while on the safari, but that did not spoil Jabulani for me. Plunge pool was freezing in October, so we didn't use it. Elephant-back safaris happen only during certain hours of the day/early evening.

Elephants: I was in love! Having seen how terribly mistreated they are in many parts of Asia, it was a relief to spend time with the Jabulani herd. The staff take great care of them and it was fun to see the various elephant personalities. Jabulani was mischievous as he took my mother-in-law's sunglass case and tried to eat it upon meeting her. My husband and I still laugh as we think of the elephant handler repeatedly saying, "Jabu stop." Sebakwe was my favorite to ride and the most majestic. The herd seemed happy and I never was concerned about my safety. The handlers seemed to know their animals.

I could write a novel about this place, but will stop here as the other reviews you read pretty much sum this place up as an incredible destination. I can't wait to return with my family when my children are old enough to endure the flights.

Thank you to Carl, Esmaralda, Ray, Dave, Adele, Lente Roode, Issac, Chere, Elsie, Chantal, etc for the time of our lives! Camp Jabulani was a little bit of Heaven on Earth for me.

Hope to see you all in the near future!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama Buffalo Camp
#5 of 17 in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp
#1 of 14 in Klaserie Private Game Reserve

Been to Camp Jabulani? Share your experiences!