“Fantastic Easter stay”

African Rock Lodge
Parys RSA
“Fantastic Easter stay”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Gerard and Yvonne were wonderful hosts. We were extremely surprised to find this gem in the bushveld. They helped us with accomodation during the very busy Easter weekend. Lovely rooms and very private. Yet the hosts made us feel very welcome and treated us like long lost friends. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had not pre-booked anything when we arrived in Hoedspruit and phoned African Rock Lodge based purely on the reviews.
Yvonne and Gerard were excellent hosts and were prepared and waiting for us when we arrived on the doorstep not 10 minutes after phoning. They went out of their way to make you feel at home. Truly good value for your money.
They were very helpful with suggestions of places to eat in the area and recommended a great dinner spot.
Beds were comfortable and the conservancy they are located in is lovely. My only criticism would be that the rooms perhaps feel a bit too busy - they have gone out of there way to make sure that everything you could want is there but for me personally I could have gone with a little less as I felt it a bit too much. But that is really a minor and we would certainly recommend it to anyone in the area and will gladly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our first impression when we arrived at African Rock Lodge was "WOW".

Yvonne and Gerard are very welcoming. We had the impression to be home away from home. The Decor looks amazing and it is well combined with the beauty of wildlife. The service deserve the 5star rates, we had value for money and good quality time.

Our last impression is also very positive. Yvonne and Gerard with their profesionalism and hospitality skills makes us want to come back.

We love that place and we definitly recommend it.

Stephanie and Family.

• Stayed December 2012
Frick, Switzerland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We can definitely recommend you to stay in the African Rock Lodge from Yvonne & Gerard.
We stayed here the first 2 days of our holiday and was for us the perfect place to relax and get into the holiday mood. The lodge is beautifully decorated in African style and everything you can think off is available in your room (fresh fruit, toiletries, chilled drinks, mosquito net, ...). Especially the bath room we had was very luxurious. Each room has its own little terrace from which you can watch the bush life or just listen to all the great sounds that the bush life produces. However, we preferred to spend our evening at the greater terrace, sipping some wine and chatting with Yvonne. As the lodge is in the Hoedspruit Wildlife Estate it is very quite and safe.
In the morning Yvonne made us some tasty breakfast and helped us to plan our sightseeing in the area. She has good knowledge of all the activities and good restaurants in the area and even can prepare you a braai (south african BBQ) or dinner at the lodge if you wish.
The pool is relatively spacious and very clean (compared to the pools we have seen in other lodges later on).

From there, we continued our journey to the Krugerpark (which is only about a 1hr drive).

Yvonne & Gerard, thanks for your great hospitality and we hope to come back again on day.

Björn & Dieke

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dieke H
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

After a very disappointing start to my dream 2 week holiday to South Africa volunteering at a conservation project with dirty room, no hot water, Crap food ETC ETC, I decided to leave after 4 days and booked my flights to come home a week early. I then booked my self in to African Rock Lodge for a couple of days of luxury and R&R before my flight home and was not disappointed and wish I had left my flights as they were and stayed the week!!!!
Yvonne(owner) was one of the best hosts I could of wished for and thats just the start. The room was simply stunning and as the saying goes you could eat your dinner off the floor the room was so clean, with a stunning a shower big enough for a football team with rain shower and normal shower, bath and showergels, bath salts again I could go on and on about all the complimentary items in the room, there is a fully stocked mini bar and very comfortable and big bed with mosquito nets should you need it, the swimming pool looked very appealing although it rained during my stay and didn't get a swim breakfast on the poolside terrace was a treat watch out for Phoebe the dog and anything that squeeks and was a bit partial to sausage and she is so cute you wont be able to say no!!!. Yvonnes hospitality went above and beyond what I was expecting on the day I arrived she asked what I wanted to do when I got there, I said I would love a shower and a nap, her reply was no I will take you to Moholoholo animal rehab centre!!! and all I can say is thank you Yvonne saw baby Rhinos, Lions, leopard I could go on and on. We then went to a beautiful local restaurant for dinner which was very nice. Yvonne then organised a trip to Kruger National Park for me. After a very restful nights sleep was woken by a Black Back Jackel what an alarm call, went to explore the lodge and found Warthogs and Impala outside my terrace Yvonne then took me to The Kruger National Park and played ranger for the day and was very informative taking me to all the water holes, she also has this app on her blackberry which tells you where all the sightings which was very helpful, I saw eveything and more even Wild Dogs and with only 120 left in the wild it was a very rare sighting and very special. we then had another lovely meal at The Old station Restaurant, Yvonne then organised another full morning and afternoon before my flight home bottle feeding a Hippo and shopping.
If it wasn't for Yvonne I dont think I would return to South Africa and Heodspruit but I will definitely be returning and this time for two weeks with my whole family. If your looking for a stunning lodge with some of the best hospitality and setting then book a stay with African Rock Lodge you wont be disappointed.
Again a huge thank you Yvonne for turning a very bad week in to one I will never forget.

Room Tip: All rooms have a bush view so go with the flow and see what turns up out side your terrace.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hoedspruit, South Africa
Reviewed October 9, 2012

African Rock Lodge was truely amazing, the rooms are beautiful and spotless, the decor makes you feel right at home in the African bush! Yvonne and Gerard are the perfect hosts and make you feel very welcome and at home. The pool is big and overlooks the bush. I would recommend this lodge to anyone travelling in the area! We were more than happy with the lodge, the company and the very good food!

Yvonne and Gerard we will definately be back and once again a huge thank you for a briliant stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rhoon
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This new lodge has a very cosy and the same time African atmosphere and you will feel very welcome by the way Yvonne and Gerard, the owners, take care of you and make you feel at home. The 2 bedded rooms have a large bed, mosquito nets if necessary , a small fridge and separately a bath and shower and give you plenty of privacy , but you can also enjoy the campfire with the other guests if you choose to do so. You can choose to go your own way and eat out in Hoedspruit or let Yvonne and Gerard take completely care of you. This 8 bed lodge is ideally situated between the Kruger National Park and the other Limpopo highlights: Blyde River Canyon etc. You can even go on a safari on foot just by walking out of the garden and follow the giraffes, warthogs and impala's etc. on the estate.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
AfricanRockLodge, Owner at African Rock Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Especially for our guests we have a map indicating the game drive routes and bush walks on the Estate. Close by the lodge we have an elevated hide overlooking a waterhole where you also can enjoy the wildlife. During your visit to us; please do go there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#1 of 104 in Hoedspruit
Unembeza Boutique Lodge
Unembeza Boutique Lodge
#7 of 104 in Hoedspruit

Been to African Rock Lodge? Share your experiences!