“enchanting but.....”
Review of Hippo Jessica

Hippo Jessica
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Hoedspruit
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just seeing a hippo face to face is an astounding experience. The fact that she has been reared by devoted humans since she was a few days old is remarkable and she certainly pleases her visitors with her tea drinking.

My only concern is that hippos are intrinsically dangerous - many deaths annually are due to hippo attacks. I fear that it is just a matter of time before she turns on the hand that feeds her - be it her owners or a tourist who are encouraged to kiss her. Perhaps when she becomes a mother, she'll revert to her wild, fiercely protective hippo mode of behaviour?

We enjoyed our visit - but I have reservations.....

2  Thank Janet B

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Getting up close with a hippo was unreal! getting to feed her, bottle her and massage her back!

Never in my life have i been so close to such a dangerous wild animal

2  Thank Tamaryn P
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I learned more about Hippos in the 2 wonderful hours we spent there, than I thought possible. They even have a new baby, cute, chews your legs, but don't worry no teeth yet :-)

2  Thank Alison S
Reviewed January 24, 2013

No this is not the song by Ray Dylan...it's a hippopotamus! A very friendly hippopotamus I might add. We went to visit Jessica along with some friends from Sweden...what an experience it was!

Nowhere in the world would you be able to come as close to hippo...and the owner was really friendly & helpful. He also made it interesting for the young lass that happened to be with us at the time.

I would definitely recommend this as a must visit when in the Hoedspruit area especially if you are a animal lover!

1  Thank DiPWi
Reviewed December 27, 2012

It is always a delight to visit Jessica and now she has a companion. Richie, a tiny baby hippo who was washed up in the recent floods.

1  Thank Emma F