“A piece of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoedspruit
Bona Ntaba Self Catering Tree House Lodge
Rochester, NY
“A piece of heaven”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It had always been on my bucket list to do a safari in South Africa. There were 3 couples who went together to the Bona Ntaba Tree House Lodge based on a recommendation of a friend. We were there for 9 incredible days. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Each couple had their own tree house. they were absolutely wonderful; very comfortable, spacious and well equipped right down to the electric water pot where I enjoyed tea every morning watching the sun rise over the mountains. Greg and Karen were wonderful hosts. The lodge was a great meeting place for meals - eating under the stars in the Boma was incredibly beautiful and relaxing. The food was absolutely delicious. The staff was so friendly. The service was incredible - the tables were set every morning and evening - it was so inviting and beautifully set up. I am not a fish eater. The staff, in the kitchen, always made sure I had a wonderful alternative if fish happened to be served. Greg built a watering hole so we had a wonderful time watching zebra, etc drinking as we sat, very close, on the deck in the lodge. There is a great swimming pool right off the deck overlooking the watering hole. I have such wonderful memories that will be forever etched in my mind; my favorite was listening to the sounds of the lions as I fell asleep. I am a techie addict - I need my smart phone, computer, iPad, etc. For 9 days, those were turned off as there is no service at Bona Ntaba (except for reading a book, at night, on my iPad). It was a piece of heaven - I sat on the porch of the tree house every night writing in my journal. It was so peaceful. I will never forget it. Thank you to Greg and Karen, as well as the staff, who helped to make this trip the best I have ever taken ( and we travel a lot). I would highly recommend the Bona Ntaba Tree House Lodge to anyone who wants to experience South Africa.

Room Tip: Each tree house was absolutely wonderful and very close to the main lodge where we gathered to eat...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I and two other good friend couples stayed nine delightful days at Bona Ntaba as part of our Africa Wild Safari. I rate everything at this lodge an A+. The tree house was fun with its outdoor shower and its little balcony with great views of the mountains and sunsets and bush babies leaping in the trees. It was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The main lodge was a wonderful place for all of us to gather and relax; take a refreshing dip in the pool and watch the wild life gather at the watering hole. Now back in the real world, my memory of Bona Ntaba is my new go to happy place. Thanks Greg and Karen for providing an experience I will always cherish.
Robin F

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Bona Ntaba Tree House Lodge was one of the most unique and wonderful experiences. It was our first time out of the states and our hosts, Greg and Karen Sweeney, and their staff made our stay a comfortable and great experience. Everything was clean and the service was outstanding. The sunset over the mountains was a gorgeous view from our deck; I loved sitting out watching this view and listening to the animals in the background.

Room Tip: Each of the tree houses are equally wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I spent 10 days in South Africa with hosts and owners of the lodge Karen and Gregory Sweeney. We used the treehouse as a base for the first few days of our photographic safari. Both hosts bent over backwards to accommodate us. The treehouse had all the modern convieninces in a tranquil rustic setting with a beautiful view of the landscape at treetop levels. The food at the lodge was excellent and each night we had at least one South African dish served in a BOMA. Breakfast and lunch was quite often served on the deck with a great variety of homemade food. The staff were pleasant, friendly and accomodating and were a pleasure deal with. I had my own treehouse and it was a wonderful experience. Going to sleep each night with the sounds of the wildlife in the background was special and good for the soul. The Photographic Safari was great! I had experiences that I will probably never be able to duplicate. I would highly recommend the lodge for any occasion and thank the staff for a wonderful time. Gregory Sweeney was a very knowledgeable person who shared experiences and techniques openely without hestitation and he and Karen his wife made you feel at home very quickly.
I would highly recommend the lodge and services to anyone who wants a memorable experience at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: All of the treehouses(4) were excellent
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BonaNtaba, Owner at Bona Ntaba Self Catering Tree House Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Keith, Thank you for your review. We loved having you and the rest of the group for the photo safari. While usually a self - catering lodge, guests can arrange for meals to be served as part of your stay - just like Keith experienced as part of one of our special catered photo safaris. Choose from South African traditional favorites and hearty breakfasts. Our area is well known for its superior wildlife viewing and guests can book game drives or get information about other wildlife attractions in the area. Kruger is 35 minutes away for a self-drive adventure.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at Bona Ntaba Tree House Lodge as part of a Photo Safari. The Tree House was awesome - the tree house was easy to access by ramp and had a very rustic feel but comfortable with all the necessities. The outdoor shower was amazing with a great view over looking the mountains. The porch of the tree house gave a great view of the sun setting. At night I could hear the roar of the lions in the reserve next door. The main lodge has a great breakfast area by the pool where you can sit outside and watch the animals arrive at the watering hole.

Thank you to Gregory and Karen for a great time and hope to see you again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Tzaneen, South Africa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a lovely time at Bona Ntaba, The Tree House was perfect - It has such a lovely rustic vibe and with all the necessities! Not too far from the Kruger Park we spent our days in the park and ended off at the tree-house to watch the beautiful sunset before braaing whilst listening to the lion roar. It was a great experience and we will definitely go back. There are 3 tree houses and a main area to braai and socialise it would be great to go as a full group.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BonaNtaba, Owner at Bona Ntaba Self Catering Tree House Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We try hard to present a relaxed bush experience.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I thought that the tree house and lodge were both great! The tree house was very comfortable, but wonderfully rustic at the same time. Our porch had its own bush baby house and I was able to see the bush baby one evening, as I relaxed and watched the sunset from our deck. The lodge and fire pit are nice places to gather, and the swimming pool is a lovely addition. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends