All reviews our honeymoon ann meals lodge drive kruger game africa knowledge safari
Selected filters
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed the quiet surroundings, view of mountain and informative guided bush walk. Chef Ann out did herself in providing gluten free meals, she made our dinners and breakfasts exiting! We left Shikwari feeling like we are leaving family behind and will definitly (God willing) return to this beautiful place.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Shikwari, Owner at Shikwari Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Dear Jaco. Thank you for your review. We look forward to your return soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2018

Good of your doing self catering and having Braai very quite and far from town which makes it peaceful and also some guest bring some dogs which make noise. The price was fair but breakfast they forgot we have booked good.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sue L, Owner at Shikwari Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2018

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
Apologies for the dogs barking, they are the managers dogs which we eventually had to collect to stop them barking.
We were ready with your breakfast but one of the staff were not aware of this. As I was doing breakfast I had it in hand. .
Please note that Guests are not allowed to bring pets to the reserve..

Reviewed October 30, 2017

i booked at shikwari lodge because of its location,beautiful view of blydepoort canyon,did not expect the excellent food and treatment from host and staff, we were absaloutely spoilt and trated like a king and queen it was an awesome experience and a wonderful stay,activities were organised daily by Shikwari lodge so we got to see and do alot more than we ever imagined . it was really awonderful and memorable stay.thanks to all at Shikwari lodge and game farm.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Shikwari, Owner at Shikwari Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2017

Hi to you both
We are so happy that you enjoyed you 5 night Honeymoon special with activities at our Shikwari Suites camp.
Perhaps we will see you for your 1st Anniversary with a special dinner and the same suite?
Thank you for the glowing report, we are blushing with pride.:)
Wisining you all the best in you married life together.
Regards Sue and the Shikwari Team.

Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

I wish I had checked other reviews before booking this horrendous place.

Before booking, Sue sent me a list of activities with prices. The list expressly mentioned that prices are valid until 2018, unfortunately, when my friend and I got there, we were met by Ann who gave us the key to one of the rondavels "Woodpecker" she mentioned that she knows that we had booked to a bush walk which was R 160 per person, the boat cruise which was R 200 per person, feeding on Shikwari which was free and the Kruger Trip which was R 1300 per person, what was alarming to me was that Ann kept asking if Sue told me how much the game drive to Kruger was going to be and I said she did, Ann phoned Sue and upon speaking to Sue, she informed me that it would be R 1800 per person, I told Sue that the brochure said R 1300 and she said there was nothing she could do. After the call, I told Ann that I was disappointed but she said well, the government was to blame for changing fuel prices. I let that one go and we went into the Woodpecker Rondavel.

Where do I even begin, they call it a self catering unit but it only has a bar fridge. The room was dirty and dusty, the outside shower is a wonderful idea but only 2 drops of water come out! What a frustrating experience.

The next morning, no one came to clean our room and I called Sue to please organize someone to clean our room, Ann came after a few minutes and asked if there was a problem, I told her that our room needed cleaning and she demanded the key to check if the room wasn't really cleaned, she then went on about how the cleaners are instructed not to disturb guests... an unacceptable and flimsily excuse.

Inasmuch as we booked for the walk, we never did it. The overall experience was horrible for me. The kitchen is laced with cockroaches, the swimming pool is dirty, no value for money whatsoever!

I think that the reception is an illusion! We got there and left without seeing any reception.

I will never go back there and will never recommend the place to anyone.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Shikwari, Owner at Shikwari Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2017

Hi,
Although we do try to keep the rates for Activities down we are beholden to suppliers, food costs, petrol and staff costs. So although we may say that rates are until a certain date it also says that rates may change without notice. I sent the rate sheet at the beginning of August and then rates went up mid August. It is unavoidable and we are not here to make a loss. Please note that Ann does not know the Activity rates and always checks with me.
If you had read the information on Pangolin you would have seen that Pangolin is a self-catering camp and the rondavels are only bedrooms with a tea tray and small Fridge/Freezer. Some with private bush bathrooms. The Kitchen, lounge and boma for guests are separate and shared.
The rondavel was cleaned and prepared for you arrival. Next morning when you wanted you room cleaned, which is an easy operation, Ann did not "Demand" the key, only asked so she could see the room. I have been to check the shower and the water runs perfectly. One does not get a large jet of water as the showers heads are water saving and our pressure is low, we are in drought conditions at the moment and water if from our borehole.
Next morning you wanted your room cleaned which is normal; but our housekeeper said that you were not ready and to come back later. Then you complained to me that it hadn't be cleaned so I had Ann come an investigate. It was just a misunderstanding on the part of our housekeeper thinking you didn't want to be disturbed. It is best to hang the "Please make the Room up" sign on the door. It was then cleaned after this. One can also give the housekeeper a time.
As the Kitchen is on the open veranda insects do come in, we do spray but this is the bush and it is sometimes unavoidable. I have inspected the kitchen and not found any cockroaches but have placed traps for them in case.
The pool is not dirty I had my maintenance man check it; the water is clear and there is no residue on the bottom, but the sides are a dark cement which gives a darker look in line with a more bush feel. This may have been why it was thought dirty.
As to the walk, when ask you didn't want to go.
There is no reception at Pangolin. Reception for both Shikwari Suites and Pangolin Rondavels is at the Shikwari Suites. All you needed to do was to come up to us as we are always available and happy to help with any of your misgivings or problems. Something you actually never did. Ann also checked on you and your said you were happy.

Reviewed May 8, 2017

Warm and excellent reception at arrival, great food, humble and understanding staff, wonderful game drive with both Noel(at the farm) and Ann at Kruger National Park. Relaxing and soothing rooms to retire to.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Shikwari, Owner at Shikwari Game Reserve, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2017

Dear mosidid,
So glad to hear our staff met with your approval. They do try hard to make everyone's stay memorable. We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Regards