“Wonderful visit at Thornhill Lodge”

Thornhill Safari Lodge
Manassas, Virginia
“Wonderful visit at Thornhill Lodge”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our stay at Thornhill Safari Lodge was fabulous!! The staff was very pleasant and totally knowledgeable about the wildlife and plants. The food was excellent. We saw more numbers and variety of animals and birds than we ever expected! Overall excellent and HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for the photos and recommendationand I'm glad we surpassed your wildlife viewing expectations,I believe we are very privaledged to be able to share these experiences and appreciate you visiting our lodge. Chris

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Adelaide Hills, Australia
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed 3 nights from December 1. Thornhill provided excellent accommodation and meals. The private game drives were awesome followed by full day inside Kruger. Tour guide Goodman has fantastic knowledge of the wildlife and the park and is a good laugh as well. Thanks to Charmaine, Chris and all staff at Thornhill safari lodge for a very memorable experience.

• Stayed December 2013
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you, Goodman will be over whelmed when I pass on your comments and I'm pleased the trip was a success. Kind regards Chris
Spotswood, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Great service, friendly staff who made our experience great & gave us a free upgrade to help celebrate our honeymoon. Would recommend to everyone & will get my parents to go & experience for themselves

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for the review Marcus and I'm pleased we made you honeymoon memorable. Please dont hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance with your parents booking
Regards Chris
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I spent 5 days at the Thornhill Safari Lodge and enjoyed every second of my stay. The professional guidance, the way to feel like home in the middle of the African wilderness, perfect food and friendly service made it all perfect. I am happy to recommend the Thornhill Lodge to everyone! I will definitely return there one day!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Piritta S
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you for the review, especially when I know that you then travelled round the world after staying with us all those months ago and . It was amazing to discover that our water bottle also travelled with you, perhaps it might return with you back here one day.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I was picked up from my accommodation and driven to the lodge, on arrival a member of staff had a fresh juice ready for us on arrival. They checked me into my room and I was amazed, it was a beautiful room with a very comfortable bed. The room was cleaned daily and at night they turned down the bed, put a chocolate on the pillow and put the bug net down. There is a nice pool, I didn't use it though, was a bit too chilly weather for the pool. The lodge has a big dining area where all the guests sat as a group and mingle, the two managers sat with us for dinner and answered all questions, talked about animals, South Africa and any topic that was brought up. The managers were also there throughout the day to ensure everything was going very well with our stay, game drive and gave excellent recommendations for our final tour day (visit the rehabilitation centre or game drive). I loved having the ostriches and warthogs walking through the camp, I didn't see any other animals, but you can see giraffe, zebra, etc. All of the staff were amazing, Jerry especially (the guide for Kruger), he was very knowledgeable about all the animals and great at spotting the animals. I loved my stay here and would recommend it and would go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
We loved having you here too. I'm pleased you were well informed and I will certianly share your comments with Jerry along with the rest of the team. Thanks for the review. Chris
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We did the 5 day safari at the end of October 2013. From the pick up at our hotel in Joburg, the experience started. It was a long trip but very enjoyable. Lunch was waiting when we arrived at Thornhill - so were the zebras! We went for an afternoon/sundown safari at a nearby private game reserve so got to see the 'big 5' the day we arrived. Stopped for drinks and nibbles at sunset in the game park, wonderful experience! The following day was spent completely in Kruger NP with our guide, Goodman. Goodman is the most wonderful guide from Thornhill, very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Next day was a 'panaroma' day. Again we were lucky enough to have Goodman as our guide. This trip was up into the mountains, waterfalls, mountain views etc. Another great experience. Next day was an activity of our choice (extra fee) and we went to the Moholoholo Rehabilitation centre. It's lovely to see the work they are doing to educate people about the animals and to see them caring for those that have no chance in the wild. The afternoon was followed by another trip to a private game park.

The staff, together with Chris and Danielle who are the managers, are all just so wonderful, helpful and friendly. The lodge was lovely, facilities are all you need, great food too.

Strongly recommended by us!

Room Tip: All the rooms were great. Not a huge lodge so it wouldn't matter which room you get.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DeborahJaneH
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the informative review. I will pass on your kind words to Goodman and I a so pleased you had the chance to see many of the different aspects of our area. It is always difficult to see everything whilst on a reletively short stay and I pleased that we managed to fulfill your wishes. Kind regards Chris
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Excellent experience with this lodge. We stayed for 4 nights and 5 days, and the staff and accommodations were great. The bed was firm, and I think the weather must have been colder more recently because the comforter was thick, but all the blankets kept us toasty, and the staff were very knowledgable about the animals.

Most importantly, the lodge food was EXCELLENT. Hadn't had such good home-cooked meals in a month!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for the review Caroline and I'm so pleased the food made such an impression. I will pass on your coments to the kitchen staff who I'm sure will be thrilled. As for the weather, sadly a little out of my hands unfortunately, perhaps you need to come and visit agian sometime. Please keep in touch. Chris