“Experiences you will never forget”

Thornhill Safari Lodge
Reviewed September 14, 2013

At various times in your life you have experiences that will provide you with the fondest of momeries. Thornhill Safari Lodge and Kruger National Park are one of those momeries that will never be forgotten. My wife and I visited in August and had an absolute ball. Being able to go off road and so close to the animals, understanding the forces and pressures associated with their survival gave us such a positive understanding of the past and future.
The focus of Chris (manager) is not just about the big 5. He spends time educating you on all the aspects associated with the environment. His insight is well informed and adds "food for thought" in developing your own understanding.
The facilities, staff and food are great. Extremely good value for money. We particularly liked the introduction of each meal by the chef identifying the traditional African dish. Just loved the time we had there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Phil. I am so pleased that my team and I could share our little piece of Africa with you albeit I would have loved to have had more time as there is still so much that we could have done and seen. Please stay well and hold on to those memories and as I say many times, "We are blessed to live in a beautiful world but sadly we don't always see it, Just sometimes we must open our eyes and mind a bit more and appreciate what nature has to offer and also what she is telling us." Regards to you both Chris

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My father and I had the pleasure of staying at Thornhill for a little over a week whilst travelling in South Africa.
I can not recommend it enough, when we first arrived i was so surprised at the facilities and how well equip the lodge was considering it was essentially in the outback.

There is an excellent pool with grassed areas surrounding it with plenty of shady areas and tables if you just wanted to sit around. The communal eating area and bar were really nice and it was very enjoyable sitting around the open fire place having a beer with people from all over the world (It also helps local beers are about $1AUD).
If your looking to see some animals you will be pleasantly surprised how many are located so close to the lodge. When we first arrived we were greeted by a family of zebras walking within the lodge grounds, saw ostriches and birds and on day three I woke up in the morning to some noises in the bushes outside our cabin and found two adult giraffes and a baby giraffe about 10m from our front porch
The food was excellent, varied and plentiful and you will never go hungry here. Even when out and about on a game drive or sight seeing the lodge would either provide coffee, sandwiches ect or if buying your lunch would take you to somewhere nice. I highly recommend Harry's Pancakes if you get the chance.
The guides who would either be taking you to and from certain activities or out on a game drive spotting with you were always very kind, knowledgeable and on games drives made you feel less like a passenger on a tour and more immersed in what was going on and how things are done.
Same goes for the staff at the lodge itself, very kind and always there if you need something. I wouldn't have an empty beer for less that a minute before my good friend Arbul (Bar tender) would be over asking if i would like another one.

The cabins were very spacious and clean equipped with a fan for those hotter days and mosquito nets although there was no mosquitoes when we were there. Everyday they would be cleaned and restocked with toilet amenities and a nice Thornhill chocolate. The lodge staff would also come and turn the lights on for your whilst you were at dinner.

The whole operation was run very smoothly, we were briefed at dinner about what we would be up to the next day and never had to worry about timings or missing out on anything.
A big thank you and shout out to Chris the lodge manager. Not only did Chris go above and beyond to ensure our stay was excellent but is now also a close friend of my father and I and one of the reasons we will head back to Thornhill yearly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Nicholas. Thanks for the amazing review, I will share it with all the staff and I can assure you it was a real pleasure having you and your Dad stay with us. We all look forward to your return next year as you know there is still a lot more for you guys to do and see (we still have to tackle the mariepskop mountain). Keep well and stay in touch.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My Partner and I recently stayed at Thornhill Safari Lodge (July 2013) and cannot recommend Thornhill highly enough. The staff bent over backwards to ensure our time at Thornhill was the amazing experience we had come for. From the moment we arrived, greeted with mocktails and an Ostrich! (Doris), we were treated like family.

My partner (Phil) proposed to me whilst we were on a tour arranged with Thornhill Lodge. Phil approached the Manager (Chris) to ask for assistance and I cannot express enough my gratitude for how the Manager and staff sprang into proposal planning action. They arranged for Champagne on ice to be packed into the Safari truck, and the guide assisted Phil on the day, - Setting up the secluded area with a table cloth and even finding flowers to decorate the table! When we got back they threw a big celebration dinner for us and the staff even made a homemade chocolate cake fitted with chocolate pots and Amaurla bottles! There was Champagne and Chocolates waiting for us in our room and the staff were truly happy and celebrating with us. I was blow away but their generosity, thoughtfulness and kindness. Thornihill Lodge helped make this an unforgettable Engagement.

Quick overview
The rooms are beautifully decorated and cleaned daily.
You are surrounded by nature so be sure to look out for the odd Ostrich, Giraffe, Zebra etc. which frequent these surrounds. We heard lions at night! (from the safety of our lodge).
The staff are AMAZING and cannot be praised enough, always happy and helpful and at hand if you need
The knowledge of the guides on both our safaris truly impressed us. Lamby our Kruger guide was exceptional and helped make the day memorable – Lamby’s easy going nature and humour kept us in stitches all day, and importantly Lamby helped assist my partner in the Surprise Engagement setup – which went off perfectly and provided a great story to retell to others 
The meals provided at the Lodge are all freshly made and delicious (we even got the recipe for the Mushroom dish we had at breakfast off the chef!)
The Safaris are fantastic – highly recommend the Sun downer Off-road Safari = Amazing, and of course Kruger is a must. With Kruger, you just need to be aware of what it is you are going for and what you want out of this experience, it is a full day proper Safari, meaning the animals are not waiting around for you to spot them and take photos, you can be searching for a few hours before seeing something. Personally I loved the Kruger experience, but I would recommend for all to research so you have an idea of what to expect.
Offerings: There is much to see and do at Thornhill and I believe they are in the process of updating their offerings – you will not be disappointed with Thornhill Safari Lodge

Overall our experience was exceptional and cannot be praised highly enough. A MUST BOOK!!! The staff breathe life and energy into the Thornhill and help make the experience so amazing. We left feeling like family and vowing to come back for the Honeymoon!

Room Tip: Tip: Book directly through Thornihill Lodge as opposed to going through a third party.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Bianca, We loved having you stay with us and it was pleasure that we could assist in the beginning of a long a wonderful journey that you and Phil are embarking on. I can tell you that Lamby is still getting all emotional over your special day in the park and please think about coming back one day. If I or any of my team can ever be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me. Regards to everyone. Chris

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Good spot close to Kruger, great staff, good service, great rooms, clean, simple and friendly.
Trip into Kruger can be a bit long and rough, and sorry but after living in Zambia, South Luangwa beats it hands down, all a bit to touristy and busy, busy and the 'big 5 drive' at Thornybush is all a bit to set up, many cars and all with radios and tracking... Might as well go to the zoo... Lodge itself though is a great quiet spot close to all you would want to see, Blyde River, Maholoholo, etc... Oh and they need better signage.

Room Tip: All are good but rooms 8,9,10,11 are the pick.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Tim, I am pleased the you enjoyed you stay at Thornhill and I appreciate your spending time giving us the review. I take on board your comments as I do with all the feedback we recieve from our guests and it was unfortunate that I didn't have the chance to meet with you personally as I would have loved to swapped notes on Zambia and especially South Luangwa. Please come and visit us again should you ever be back here in SA.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I had the absolute pleasure of staying at Thornhill Safari Lodge in late June, what an amazing experience! We were greeted as we step from the bus after our 8 hour trip from Johanasberg by the manager Chris who had a cooling drink and a friendly smile, and then bundled into an off road safari some 2 hours later that was totally an unreal experience. No formalities here just an almighty attempt by the guides to show us as many animals as we could cram in our sunset safari! Loved i,t loved it! Also loved the wild animals who cruised through the grounds, the impromptu sunset drinks set up by Chris, the casual nature walk around the grounds, where we "bumped" into giraffes, osterich's, zebra's, wart Hogs, monkeys, etc just like it was a normal everyday experience. Thanks Chris for making our time one we will always remember! Sharon and Leo

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you so much for the review Sharon. I'm so pleased that you guys enjoyed your time with us and that we could give you a memorable experience. This is undoubtably a wonderful country and you must come back some day as there still much more to see.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Lodge is right in the middle of the bush with animals roaming around which creates that real African experience , what a setting. We were fortunate enough to see the Big Five at the Private Reserve & The Kruger , Blyde Canyon is also a must , awesome views. Staff were very helpful , food plentiful & hosts Charmaine & Chris top class. Boma dinners under the African sky in perfect weather was amazing. Thanks Team for doing a great job to promote the beauty and hospitality of South Africa. Chris , hope you enjoy your holiday and your birthday. Andre' & Jenny

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Andre & Jenny. Thank you for the fantastic review. Its always especially nice to be able to share our region of this beautiful country with fellow South Africans whom so often miss the wood for the trees and and I'm so pleased that you had such a great time. If you are ever around this area again, please don't hestiate to come and see us again. PS: Good luck with the new soccer season !!!!!!!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the lodge and had a fantasic experience. The staff are very friendly and professional. I was especially impressed by the lodge managers, Charmaine and Chris who made my stay very personalized. Tour Leader, Lambi was very enthusiastic and passionate about showcasing the region. I could not have asked for better stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Stephanie, Hopefully your short stay with us along with the advise put life into perspective and that the future pans out as you hope. Thanks for the review and maybe we'll see you again one day