Thornhill Safari Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kapama Karula(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Southern Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama Buffalo Camp(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
View Hotel
Kapama River Lodge(Kapama Private Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Toro Yaka Bush Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
  • Pool
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge(Balule Nature Reserve)
View Hotel
Arathusa Safari Lodge(Sabi Sand Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsintrepid travellady gagaeveryone eats togethersunset deckbush walkhour tripweather permittingkruger national parkother guestswell stocked barprivate game parkgame drivescommunal diningbig game drivesouth africaamazing experiencestayed here for nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am a seasoned traveler to Africa so this time I was very lucky to travel to Southern Africa with my whole family (8 people including 3 grandchildren). This was my second time to Kruger NP but my first stay at Thornhill Safari Lodge. Staying at this lodge was definitely a highlight of our trip - it has a wonderful atmosphere, food is good and the staff are very warm, friendly & helpful. Chris & Charmaine have a high standard of professionalism, very knowledgeable & have a sincere hands on interaction with their guest and makes each person feel that your stay there is "all about you" and my family definitely want to return for a longer stay. We are/would recommend this lodge to anyone traveling to South Africa.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Christine R
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Christine, it was great having you all here and I think the whole team here enjoyed your stay as much as you guys did. Thank you for the recommendation.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a great value for money - Thornhill offers 3 and 4 day safari packages. You get to see everything you need to see - without all the over the top perks. The rooms are comfortable and cozy - the staff is very friendly and the food is good. You feel like you are going to a friend's place for dinner. It is a great place for those with a more limited budget as safari lodges can be expensive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for the review. They are always beneficial to us and especially for future visitors. While anyone stays with us our home becomes their home and I'm pleased you felt you "were going to a friends for dinner". Keep in touch and hopefully your'll come back.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I strongly recommend this lodge!! Charmaine and all the staff were great, very friendly and eager to please their guests.
The games were awesome, especially the one in the private game reserve. The morning walk was out of this world!
We really enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank metorresf
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review. I will ensure Charmaine and all the staff see this. Go well on your travels and please stay in touch.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My friend Sue and I stayed here for 4 nights in early May 2013. Upon arrival Doris,Elvis and Lady GaGa (the 3 local ostriches) along with Charmaine and Chris were there to greet us. From that moment on we were kept busy and what fun we had! Both Sue and I are serious amateur photographers and Chris and Charmaine were so helpful and accommodating of our needs. We went on several safaris including a private one through Thornybush game reserve and we could not believe what we saw and did. It was incredible.

We also cannot thank Chris and Charmaine enough as they both went out of
their way to help us to find a great spot to photograph an African Sunset.

All meals are announced by the beating of the drums and dinner was shared in the Boma. The meals were always delicious and hot. it was a great time to catch up with the other guests and talk about the days events,

We certainly enjoyed our stay here and would highly recommend it, not only for the terrific game that you see here but mostly for the friendliness of the management and staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you Beth for your informative review. Hopefully you will come back and spend some more time with us as there is still a lot more for you to photograph. Take care and keep in touch

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at the Thornhill Lodge during the first week of May, 2013. I booked through Getaway Africa, just a few days before, but they were very accommodating. Charmaine greeted us upon arrival with a delicious glass of fresh juice, we had a hearty lunch, and were taken out on a game drive on a private game reserve to track the Big 5 and enjoy sundowners at sunset. We returned to a lovely dinner served in the boma around a fire pit on the lodge grounds (where we saw meerkats, baboons, zebra, monkeys). My stay continued with the same type of activity, attention, and service. Charmaine and Chris are wonderful hosts making you feel very much at home and as if you are family (Chris even lent me his coat for an early morning drive). The staff is so kind and did a wonderful job with the food and serving. The rooms were perfect - simple and very clean, with comfortable beds and a lovely stone bathroom with hot water. The activities are well organized and the guides are very knowledgeable. Thank you for a wonderful stay and a special chocolate potjie pot for my birthday!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure having you here at Thornhill and even nicer that we could share your birthday. Good luck with your future plans and perhaps we'll see you again one day.