“Best holiday!!”

Thornhill Safari Lodge
“Best holiday!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in march for 3 days and we had the best time. The lodge was lovely, clean and peaceful. Staffs were friendly, we enjoyed our chats with Danielle, charmain and jerry who made us very nice big 5 cocktails. We were lucky on our private game drives, we saw elephants, lions, buffaloes and rhinos. All thanks to the amazing goodman, we managed to spot 6 cheetahs together and saw a leopard on our all day Kruger drive. This is by far one of our best holidays we be on and would defiantly come back. Thank you to eveyone at Thornihill. Wendy

• Stayed March 2013
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Thank you for the feedback, and I,m glad you ahd a great time. It goes without saying that it would be great to see you again and in the meantime why not visit our facebook page for latest news and updates.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in January and loved it. Our room was beautiful, large with a deep bath in the beautiful bathroom and a seperate outdoor shower.
There is a bar and communal meals area and the Lodge is built around the central pool and pagoda area.
The reason we were there of course was for the Safari and it didn't disappoint. The Lodge itself is surrounded by wildlife including Elephants, Giraffes, numerous Antelope species including the magestic Kudu and at the time we were there the Elephants were very kindly knocking down the fences that seperate it from next door Thornybush Safari Lodge!
We took a game drive through Thornybush and had an amazing experience seeing 4 of the big 5. We didn't see the elusive leopard but we got so close to a recumbent male lion that I was able to take a photo of his tonsils!
I can't recommend Thornhill enough. It's a great location on the border of Kruger and the more exciting Thornybush reserve. The service was excellent, very friendly and really made us feel at home.
Don't miss it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Sorry you missed the leopard, sadly as have many others before and after you. On the plus side it means there is still a need to fulfill your viewing list and hopefully you will come back to Thornhill to accomplish your mission. Thanks for the review and don't hesitate to call us to book your next stay
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at Thornhill on a 3 day safari and had a fantastic time. Beautiful lodge, wonderful staff and great food. Everything was so well organized that we packed an incredible amount of stuff into a very short time. Thank you Thornhill for making it happen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thanks for the kind words, and yes your right we did pack a lot into your short stay, so when you come back next time (because there is still plenty more to see) we can finish the job off in true Thornhill fashion. Take care and stay in touch....
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I am a world traveler and I stay in many places all over the world, but this one will always stay in my memory. Simple reason - the people who work there - The Thornhill Family. I arrived there with my partner and two of my friends for a quick 3 day African Safari experience. Let me start by saying that booking that trip was already a grea experience, fast responses, easy and all detailed explanation provided. But the real deal was after we arrive. Charmaine and Chris - both in charge of Thornhill are the jewels of this place. They welcomed me and my friends like we were part of their family. This is not like a hotel - you eat delicious home made meals at the same big family table with every person who stays and works there. Game drives were crazy good, talking about seeing Big5 - wow we saw more than that, I know - we were lucky but those people worked hard to make this experience the best. Chris and Tiger gave us awesome morning walk when we saw and took pictures of amazing animals and learned about plants and living in Arica. Mohololholo Wildlife Rehab Center visit was a fantastic experience, bringing hope that a lot of people care in Africa for animals and they want to protect them. The staff at Thornhill is exceptional, they put their should in everything they do - food, cleaning and letting us know we are always welcomed. The rooms were cleaned every day, food was great (felt like my mom was cooking), games and trips we will not forget. If you want to come and experience Africa - Thornhill is a must place to visit. Thank you Charmaine and Chris !!! And for sure see you next time :-)

Room Tip: I do not think they are bad rooms at Thornhill. Just be specific when you book and you will get exac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Tomasz, It was a pleasure having you guys here. You know that your always welcome and hopefully we'll see you soon for that photographic safari. Take care and travel safely
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Thornhill Safari Lodge through a 4 day booking of a Kruger National Park excursion provided by Intrepid Travel. I had a timely picked up from our hotel in Johanessburg & were driven out to the lodge. I was pleasantly greeted by Charmine, the lodge manager. Our lodge was cute & full of character, rooms had dark wood beams, punctuated with electic African decor. There were 13 available lodges with thatched roofs surrounding a pool. The lodges were very clean & had amenties which I did not expect, including Wifi;). We were immediately fed & taken on a drive in the game reserve that day. The next day we participated in an all-day game drive of Kruger. I was astonished to be able to view the number or wildlife in those 2 game drives & as well at how closely we were able to view them. The guides, especially Israel, really took pains to provide us with the most fulfilling safari experience. He was informative, knowledgable & passionate about the animals, the vegitation & overall, his job. It was definitely refreshing. The lodge, headed by Charmaine was extremely organized. The staff at the lodge were accomodating, friendly, pleasant & hard-working. Our lasting memories will be of sitting in the common area, after long game drives, having a drink & conversing with Charmaine & Gerry. I had certain expectations of what our experience at Kruger would be like, but our experience at Thornhill far exceeded those.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you very much for the review. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to meet with you on this occassion (perhaps another time) and I will ensure that Charmaine and all my team see your review. I am extremely proud of all my staff and your review tippifies my belief and trust in them.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 24, 2013

A surprise opportunity to visit travel to South Africa resulted in the 5-day tour. It was a wonderful experience and one we recommend to all our family and friends. Well organised and really nice people.
We would do it again.
Derek and Yvonne from New Zealand.

Room Tip: We think any room would beas good as another. We had No 10 with a big bed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you guys for a lovely review. Perhaps we'll see you again sometime and please don't hesitate to contact us if your ever in our lovely country
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We recently stayed here for 5 days, and were very happy about the place.

We got pick-up at the airport, the person was very nice, pointed out animals on our way to hotel, and answered all our questions about the area.

The hotel has 13 rooms, which was great as it is nice and intimate. It is in a very beautiful location, lovely swimming pool. We were really happy about the room, it was pretty, with a good view onto the trees, quiet, the bed was really confy with a big mostiquo net. The bathroom was great as well, nice thing was they provide you with mostiquo repellent.
Great place with a very friendly and quite intimate feel to it.

We liked the food as well, many choice for breakfast, great fruit salad, and for diner also a few options which was nice. They play the drums to tell you when the food is ready and diner takes place in two different areas which is cool. All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

The lady who runs the place is great, thinks about everything and happy to help with any request and accomodate for different needs.

We had booked it as part of a 5 days package with intrepid, we were happy about the whole set up, great safaris, confy vehicules, knowledgeble guides, and we saw all the animals.

I would definetly recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem nice, some look onto the pool and some on the forest.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris E, General Manager at Thornhill Safari Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review. Be sure to return to us should you ever visit South africa again
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#17 of 104 in Hoedspruit
Ngama Tented Safari Lodge
Ngama Tented Safari Lodge
#26 of 104 in Hoedspruit

Been to Thornhill Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!