“Comfortable, clean stay.”

Timbavati Safari Lodge
Regina
“Comfortable, clean stay.”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed at the Timbavati Safari Lodge as part of a tour of Southern Africa. We stayed for one night between travel from Pretoria on to the Panoramic Route. I was in a two-man lodge with an ensuite that was clean and comfortable. The housing was really neat, I liked the colourful painting around the outside of the lodges. The shower had pretty weak water pressure and your choices were burning hot or freezing cold. The bed however was lovely, I had a great sleep.

The food at the lodge was terrific, the breakfast buffet was my favourite meal. I did have to wander around a few times to find where I was going; there are no signs directing you to the bar, reception, etc. There is a nice pool area by the bar to lounge around and relax. The atmosphere around the grounds was neat, I liked how things were open air. We had a buffet dinner one night in an outdoor area with a bonfire in the middle, it was very nice under the stars.

Be prepared for some wildlife in and around the grounds, impala and pumbaa are common things to see in lodgings around southern Africa. They won't hurt you, but they are curious. Just be mindful. I suggest not leaving food in your room!

Overall, Timbavati is a great place for a quick stay. I would recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Terheijden, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were here for the second time in april after 3 years.
The place improved a lot and the personnel is very nice.
I think it's one of the best places to stay if you can not get one in the Kruger.
And John behind the bar makes you always laughing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Our group overnighted after our trip from Pretoria via God's Window. The staff were wonderful, the colourful lodges a very good experience and both the open air dinner and the stories at the bar later were excellent. Next morning we had a wonderful breakfast but were then delayed from packing by the warthogs who took a fancy to my chalet! They wandered away eventually but not before everyone in the lodge had photographed them!

Can't say whether the facilities would support a longer visit but can heartily recommend it for a short stay.

Room Tip: The individual lodges are laid out away from the bar and pool area. They are pretty cool.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
kent
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I stayed at the above hotel as part of a tour organised by Livingstone Trails (which I wouldn't recommend), for two nights.

On arriving in my room I was pleased to see that as a solo traveller the space allocated was very nice. The bedding was clean, but the towels were a little worn.

I remarked that I did not feel that the mosquito net was adequate - access could easily have been gained...and I have been biten somewhere along the line. Despite this - the net was not changed.

After a day at the park I returned to my lodge only to find that it had been left open by housekeeping all day!

On check out (I stayed 2 nights), as I left my room I noticed a rather large scorpion. I reported this,but it was just shrugged off. I would have thought that it would have been removed...I guess not.

The other negative is that there are no signs, directing you to the restaurant, bar or even reception (no fun when lugging heavy cases!).

On a positive, the food was good as the restaurant staff friendly.

I would suggest you take your own towels and be more forceful than I was with regards to the net issue.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank 627432
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We had an excellent stay at the lodge. We loved the brightly coloured rondawels and were lucky to have a small waterhole outside ours to watch animal action. The bar, pool and restaurant areas are lovely and we enjoyed dining outside one night during our stay. They often have the local children performing traditional african dance at night which is great fun to watch and you can join in if you are keen. The lodge offers a great range of activites to keep you busy in adition to visiting Kruger. Thanks to all the staff for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bex014
New York, NY
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I took a group of 45 youth and 10 staff to this lodge at the end of August and it did not disappoint. It is a lovely, small lodge with individual rondovels that are spacious, clean, and comfortable. It is not a luxury property but has everything you could need and was an exceptional value. The lodge ecpven has resident warthogs and other animals that delighted our youth from Brooklyn.

The food was good and plentiful. Breakfast is continental and served inside and dinner is outside by the pool and bar most nights, but is also served in a Boma once a week which was really nice. In addition to the great food and service, there was entertainment of local African kids doing traditional Zulu dance. The bar area is fun and lively with a great bartender and a TV for sports watching.

The staff made up on 3 management personnel where fantastic! Being a large group, we had lots of special requests and they went out of their way to ensure that each one was granted. One of our membera got sick an hour away from the lodge and they even came tonpick her up so that the entire group did not have to return. We also asked them to set up volunteer activities with the local village which they happily executed. They told us what to purchase and bring with us and coordinated games of soccer and netball with local children and arranged for us to paint a local school. Additionally, they arranged packed lunches and water for us for our days away from the lodge.

Our safari was great and we saw 4 out of the 5 Big 5, so game viewing is good. Because it is not a private game reserve, they cannot go off road which does limit how close you can get to the sightings. But you do pay a lot more for these types of lodges. My driver and guide was great and my only complaint was that they had to hire an outside guide for 2 jeeps and these guides were not as good and did not provide the people in the jeeps with a lot of information. So I would insist on having guides from Timbavati so that you have maximum enjoyment.

Lastly, the grounds are lovely and peaceful and proved to be a great respite from Johannesburg. I would recommend this lodge to anyone looking for a fantastic value and who appreciates a small yet attentive staff.

The staff

• Stayed August 2010
leeds
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights and had a great time. We spent 3 days on safari in kruger park and saw everything. We stayed in one of the rondawels, which were comfortable and clean. We didn't get to use the pool as it was too cold (it was winter) but it looked really nice and the bar area was always busy and everyone (staff and other guests) were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank rach2782
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoedspruit
Kapama River Lodge
#12 of 104 in Hoedspruit
Tshukudu Game Lodge
Tshukudu Game Lodge
#9 of 104 in Hoedspruit

Been to Timbavati Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!