“Excellent service”

African Pride Irene Country Lodge
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Centurion
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I had my 30th birthday celebration at Irene Country Lodge. The service was excellent. I had lots of requirements and the staff made sure that they were all met. The staff really went an extra mile. Not only was I pleased, my guests were also blown away by the service of the staff and the beauty of the place. This is a hidden gem in Pretoria. You really escape when you at the Irene Country Lodge. I now plan for a massage treatment at the Spa.

Room Tip: Easy escape from the busy life without having to travel far in Gauteng.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear Mohau - Motholo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback regarding your recent birthday celebration at African Pride Irene Country Lodge.

The TEAM is committed to providing excellent GUEST service to each of our valued GUESTS.

No request is to large or to small in our quest to exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your treatment at Camdeboo Day Spa.
Kindly peruse our website for the latest Spa promotions, especially for Valentine's Day and the month of February.

Have a fabulous day!

African Pride Irene Country Lodge TEAM

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Food was excellent, was treated like a king,when ever i need a sleep over in JHB again, this is the place to be. For 11 days my work was so easy on my mind as i have a decent place to come to at night. to"switched" off

Room Tip: the rooms in the forest are 100 star rated
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Kuillie2014,

We take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent visit to African Pride Irene Country Lodge.

We wish to provide each one of our visitors with a peaceful, tranquil setting in which to relax and rejuvenate.

I believe we are possibly the first hotel in South Africa to be rated with 100 star bedrooms. THANK YOU!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Amalia and TEAM

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Excellent location in the countryside adjacent to the pretty village of Irene. Countryside reminds one of Surrey, UK! Halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria and only 30 mins from O R Tambo international airport. There is a bar and sitting area to relax in by a lake. Nearby is also Jan Smuts house for those historically interested. Also close to Centurion Cricket ground Beware of passing under Irene railway bridge in the rain it gets flooded frequently! Rooms are good size and have all mod cons but are a little dark. Staff very helpful and friendly

Room Tip: Possibly upgrade although I have not tried the more deluxe rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear ZetatOurs,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your positive feedback after your recent stay with us at African Pride Irene Country Lodge.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our facilities.

We hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to African Pride Irene Country Lodge again soon.

The TEAM

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the lodge in December after a friend's event. From start to end the staff was amazing. The event was a resounding success and beautiful because of their team. Amazing attention to detail. The rooms were massive and comfortable. Well worth a try. Their Camdeboo Spa is a must. A true oasis indeed.

• Stayed: December 2013
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Mahalatsi M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments.

We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

Thank you for choosing to stay at African Pride Irene Country Lodge and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

The TEAM

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Let me start with the positives-beautiful hotel, beautiful room and lovely spa! So after saying that what could be wrong with the Irene country village. Firstly just to let you know- I have written 2 reviews ever including this one- one for the magnificent Qarmadeen hotel in Dubai and 1 for the Irene Country Village. I believe excellent service needs to be praised and terrible service needs to be addressed.

For the sake of sanity I will summarise this: I phoned Protea online bookings and was given an excellent rate did not book as they were unable to upgrade me to the forest suites was advised to drive throught to the hotel ask if the room was available and then make the booking-thought it would be easier to contact hotel directly-which I did -asked them if I could get the same rate at the hotel- the lady was very polite and told me unfotunately not. So I drove through to the hotel and asked whether they had forest suites which they did -so I contacted Protea online bookings to do online booking and was told -oh sorry she gave me the wrong rate!!! At this time I still felt the Hotel was not at fault. The manager spoke to them and was told I didnt make a booking- which is true but I didnt do the booking because they (Protea online) could not advise me of the required upgrade.

I was irritated at this point but NOT with the hotel- until the manager says that there are three stories and he is not sure which one is correct! Was he perhaps implying that I drove from JHb to PTA on a whim? Hoping to get a freebie? Was I lying? That angered me to no end. He then looked online and eventually gave me the room at the agreed rate and an upgrade for free. I appreciated his gesture however I felt as if he felt he was doing me a favour.

The room was impecable save to say it was up to standard except for A LOT of dust on the fan. Small things like not putting the correct number of towels (four people) was also overlooked.

Next the KIDDIES pool AKA 'THE MOAT' The pool has a black bottom and apparently is suppose to look like a moat ie have the country feel. It was in my opinion dirty and full of sand. We did not swim in it.

The duvet- we asked for the duvet to be exchanged -as it was feather down. It took 4 phonecalls to get it exchanged-it arrived after 21:00.

Kiddies meals-very tasty however the burgers are slathered with a sauce that has some form of chilli in it.

Now for some more positives- WONDERFUL WONDERFUL people who tried their utmost a BIG thank you- DEON and YVETTE, they honestly were very concerned and went out of their way to try make us happy. Also 2 lovely Au Pairs-Claudia and Olivia- what nice girls.

If after reading this you think- OMW this guy is a whiner-well that is exactly how I feel. I think this hotel is beautiful, it has A LOT of potential maybe they were having an off day?! Hood luck for the future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JoburgCHIRO

Dear JoburgCHIRO,

We take this opportunity to thank you for being our GUEST and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

We have reviewed your comments and take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of the group for the incorrect rate you were quoted.
We have followed up with Protea hotels reservations and they also take the opportunity to profusely apologize for the oversight.
You were quoted a Prokard rate which is the Protea loyalty card special rate.

The hotel realised the oversight and although the hotel was not able to honour the rate the hotel was able to add value to correct the mistake.
This value allowed for a complimentary upgrade to one of the hotel forest suites, inclusion of breakfast and a room gifting allowing for a total value add of R 2000, due to the inconvenience caused.

We are pleased that you found our staff as mentioned to be diligent and assisting and we will pass on your comments to Yvette and Deon.

We have raised your concerns to the respective department head regarding the dust discovered on the fan in the room, and the delayed response to specific linen required as well as our Executive Chef that is changing the children’s burger presentation to ensure the chefs do not mistakenly use the spicy sauce on the children’s burger.

The kiddies splash ( The moat) was designed in keeping with the Irene Dairy farm historical appeal creating a fun element for children to play in a rock pool that has the
aesthetics of being a farm dam. The water is chlorinated and filtered and safe for swimming. We may have to reconsider this design and simply put in a fibreglass blue pool
like every other establishment.

We are delighted to read of the positive aspects of your visit and once again apologise for the situation that occurred when making the original booking.

We hope you can retain your custom in future.

Regards,
Management

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked for lunch on New Years day and was told that there was an a la carte lunch and they even emailed us the menu! We also asked for a table near the water under the canopy. We arrived there and the table was on the grass under a tree , and they changed it as booked. It was not A la Carte but a buffet lunch . We accepted it was a mistake on their side but agree to have the buffet at much higher price that we anticipated. Still not a problem. The buffet was presented on a long table starting with bread and cheese , salads, followed by vegetables, desert and then the lamb on a spit. People had to queue first for bread and salad and then break away to go and enjoy it. Coming back to join the back of queue again to get vegetables and the wait about 30 minute for the lamb with only person cutting the meat. Vegetables cold by then!. Then join the queue again to get to desert. Eventually turned out a very long afternoon! On person was octogenarian and we had to queue for her as well. I asked the manager on duty why they did not split the tables so that people can queue for what they want and not have to go past everything time and again. Said that the did not expect the queue to get this long.

Very disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Philip B,

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your lunch experience on the first of January.

We sincerely apologize for your dining experience not being of the high standard we strive to provide each of our valued GUESTS.

At African Pride Irene Country Lodge we take all constructive feedback serious and have taken the remedial steps to ensure that this does not transpire again.

Our learnings include ensuring that a la Carte meals are always available even when buffets are served, also the lay out of the buffets at Lakeside to allow for a better flow and separation of food sections.

We again thank you for your valued feedback.

We trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our beautiful property in the near future to turn your dining experience into a more positive experience.

Management

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth a visit if you're looking for a break away from the city life.

The scenery is spectacular, tranquil and well kept. Sitting in the garden whilst enjoying a drink was heavenly. It felt like we were on holiday!

Our room was spacious and immaculate. I absolutely loved the huge spa like bath. I was in heaven. Foam bath would be a lovely touch.

We had dinner and breakfast and even though it wasn't of the best as you would expect, the cheese on offer was fantastic. I'm a cheese lover and you'll really enjoy the wide variety if you're looking for something different.

The next morning we enjoyed a walk to the Irene Dairy Farm. Do not give this a miss. Incredibly humbling and will make you appreciative of this experience. Great memories!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Koekie84,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our beautiful property.

At African Pride Irene Country Lodge we strive to exceed each GUEST's expectations and provide a tranquil, relaxing setting for our GUESTS to enjoy.

We will immediately look at improving our buffet offering to ensure it is in line with our GUESTS expectations.

Looking forward to your next visit.

AP Irene Country Lodge TEAM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Centurion
Kleinkaap Boutique Hotel
Centurion Golf Suites Guest Lodge
Valverde Country Hotel
Valverde Country Hotel
#21 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to African Pride Irene Country Lodge? Share your experiences!