“A true oasis”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Centurion
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A true oasis”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the lodge in December after a friend's event. From start to end the staff was amazing. The event was a resounding success and beautiful because of their team. Amazing attention to detail. The rooms were massive and comfortable. Well worth a try. Their Camdeboo Spa is a must. A true oasis indeed.

• Stayed December 2013
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Mahalatsi M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments.

We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

Thank you for choosing to stay at African Pride Irene Country Lodge and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

The TEAM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Let me start with the positives-beautiful hotel, beautiful room and lovely spa! So after saying that what could be wrong with the Irene country village. Firstly just to let you know- I have written 2 reviews ever including this one- one for the magnificent Qarmadeen hotel in Dubai and 1 for the Irene Country Village. I believe excellent service needs to be praised and terrible service needs to be addressed.

For the sake of sanity I will summarise this: I phoned Protea online bookings and was given an excellent rate did not book as they were unable to upgrade me to the forest suites was advised to drive throught to the hotel ask if the room was available and then make the booking-thought it would be easier to contact hotel directly-which I did -asked them if I could get the same rate at the hotel- the lady was very polite and told me unfotunately not. So I drove through to the hotel and asked whether they had forest suites which they did -so I contacted Protea online bookings to do online booking and was told -oh sorry she gave me the wrong rate!!! At this time I still felt the Hotel was not at fault. The manager spoke to them and was told I didnt make a booking- which is true but I didnt do the booking because they (Protea online) could not advise me of the required upgrade.

I was irritated at this point but NOT with the hotel- until the manager says that there are three stories and he is not sure which one is correct! Was he perhaps implying that I drove from JHb to PTA on a whim? Hoping to get a freebie? Was I lying? That angered me to no end. He then looked online and eventually gave me the room at the agreed rate and an upgrade for free. I appreciated his gesture however I felt as if he felt he was doing me a favour.

The room was impecable save to say it was up to standard except for A LOT of dust on the fan. Small things like not putting the correct number of towels (four people) was also overlooked.

Next the KIDDIES pool AKA 'THE MOAT' The pool has a black bottom and apparently is suppose to look like a moat ie have the country feel. It was in my opinion dirty and full of sand. We did not swim in it.

The duvet- we asked for the duvet to be exchanged -as it was feather down. It took 4 phonecalls to get it exchanged-it arrived after 21:00.

Kiddies meals-very tasty however the burgers are slathered with a sauce that has some form of chilli in it.

Now for some more positives- WONDERFUL WONDERFUL people who tried their utmost a BIG thank you- DEON and YVETTE, they honestly were very concerned and went out of their way to try make us happy. Also 2 lovely Au Pairs-Claudia and Olivia- what nice girls.

If after reading this you think- OMW this guy is a whiner-well that is exactly how I feel. I think this hotel is beautiful, it has A LOT of potential maybe they were having an off day?! Hood luck for the future.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JoburgCHIRO
Dear JoburgCHIRO,

We take this opportunity to thank you for being our GUEST and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

We have reviewed your comments and take this opportunity to apologize on behalf of the group for the incorrect rate you were quoted.
We have followed up with Protea hotels reservations and they also take the opportunity to profusely apologize for the oversight.
You were quoted a Prokard rate which is the Protea loyalty card special rate.

The hotel realised the oversight and although the hotel was not able to honour the rate the hotel was able to add value to correct the mistake.
This value allowed for a complimentary upgrade to one of the hotel forest suites, inclusion of breakfast and a room gifting allowing for a total value add of R 2000, due to the inconvenience caused.

We are pleased that you found our staff as mentioned to be diligent and assisting and we will pass on your comments to Yvette and Deon.

We have raised your concerns to the respective department head regarding the dust discovered on the fan in the room, and the delayed response to specific linen required as well as our Executive Chef that is changing the children’s burger presentation to ensure the chefs do not mistakenly use the spicy sauce on the children’s burger.

The kiddies splash ( The moat) was designed in keeping with the Irene Dairy farm historical appeal creating a fun element for children to play in a rock pool that has the
aesthetics of being a farm dam. The water is chlorinated and filtered and safe for swimming. We may have to reconsider this design and simply put in a fibreglass blue pool
like every other establishment.

We are delighted to read of the positive aspects of your visit and once again apologise for the situation that occurred when making the original booking.

We hope you can retain your custom in future.

Regards,
Management
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked for lunch on New Years day and was told that there was an a la carte lunch and they even emailed us the menu! We also asked for a table near the water under the canopy. We arrived there and the table was on the grass under a tree , and they changed it as booked. It was not A la Carte but a buffet lunch . We accepted it was a mistake on their side but agree to have the buffet at much higher price that we anticipated. Still not a problem. The buffet was presented on a long table starting with bread and cheese , salads, followed by vegetables, desert and then the lamb on a spit. People had to queue first for bread and salad and then break away to go and enjoy it. Coming back to join the back of queue again to get vegetables and the wait about 30 minute for the lamb with only person cutting the meat. Vegetables cold by then!. Then join the queue again to get to desert. Eventually turned out a very long afternoon! On person was octogenarian and we had to queue for her as well. I asked the manager on duty why they did not split the tables so that people can queue for what they want and not have to go past everything time and again. Said that the did not expect the queue to get this long.

Very disappointed!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Philip B,

Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your lunch experience on the first of January.

We sincerely apologize for your dining experience not being of the high standard we strive to provide each of our valued GUESTS.

At African Pride Irene Country Lodge we take all constructive feedback serious and have taken the remedial steps to ensure that this does not transpire again.

Our learnings include ensuring that a la Carte meals are always available even when buffets are served, also the lay out of the buffets at Lakeside to allow for a better flow and separation of food sections.

We again thank you for your valued feedback.

We trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our beautiful property in the near future to turn your dining experience into a more positive experience.

Management
Centurion, South Africa
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Definitely worth a visit if you're looking for a break away from the city life.

The scenery is spectacular, tranquil and well kept. Sitting in the garden whilst enjoying a drink was heavenly. It felt like we were on holiday!

Our room was spacious and immaculate. I absolutely loved the huge spa like bath. I was in heaven. Foam bath would be a lovely touch.

We had dinner and breakfast and even though it wasn't of the best as you would expect, the cheese on offer was fantastic. I'm a cheese lover and you'll really enjoy the wide variety if you're looking for something different.

The next morning we enjoyed a walk to the Irene Dairy Farm. Do not give this a miss. Incredibly humbling and will make you appreciative of this experience. Great memories!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Koekie84,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our beautiful property.

At African Pride Irene Country Lodge we strive to exceed each GUEST's expectations and provide a tranquil, relaxing setting for our GUESTS to enjoy.

We will immediately look at improving our buffet offering to ensure it is in line with our GUESTS expectations.

Looking forward to your next visit.

AP Irene Country Lodge TEAM
GABORONE
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This wedding venue was chosen by the bride and groom - who is the son of some friends of ours. We actually booked into the lodge as a stopover after the wedding reception. The venue is perfect with a magnificent setting with picture postcard photo opportunities. The service was excellent and the room was huge wth all the amenities you could want. Safe secure car parking is available right in front of the rooms which all face the landscaped surroundings and the lake. The catering was also very good - however the breakfast cost was a bit steep and did not represent value for money. However this aspect was the only slightly negative aspect of a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: No need as all rooms have a brilliant view over the surrounding lawns and lake.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
APIreneCountryLodge, Quality Assurance Manager at African Pride Irene Country Lodge, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear FAMLEE,

We thank you for your beautiful comments about our wonderful lodge. I must agree, I myself believe the view of the lake at sundown in "postcard pretty".

We strive to exceed all GUESTS expectations in terms of accommodation and services offered. We have in recent years also become a preferred wedding venue in the Centurion area in part because of the exceptional service we strive to provide each of our GUESTS and in part, the beautiful setting and surroundings that allow for great photo opportunities.

We are re-looking our breakfast offerings for the new year to ensure our valued GUESTS always receive quality and value for the price charged.

Wishing you a fabulous 2014.

Amalia and TEAM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Very good value for your money. Luxury rooms. It has a country feel within the city and well located. Very friendly and professional staff. Good food and always my first choice for a relaxing break away.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Masscash,

We take this opportunity to thank you for your valued feedback. We will share your positive comments with the TEAM.

We look forward to your next visit!

Amalia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed a week in August for my brother's wedding & we all came down with flu. The hotel were amazing! They brought us extra tissues, lots of towels & blankets & tea! The room was spacious & very comfortable, the bathroom was large & clean. The food was delicious & the service throughout was unrivalled. The spa is lovely, we had a lunch on the terrace - very peaceful. I loved watching the sun set over the lake- all the birds were wonderful. I loved our stay here & was sad to leave.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear MammaBourne,

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure looking after you and your family.

It is our goal to provide warm, friendly service to all our valued GUESTS and make you feel right at home.

Wishing you a prosperous new year.

AP Irene Country Lodge TEAM